Much of U.S. is cold and getting colder

The amount that has been released in our atmosphere has so far been dissipated and scrubbed by natural means. Keep in mind, fallout, blast damage and leaks are not all the same things.

We certainly don't want any more surface or atmospheric nuke bombs exploding but not for "global warming" reasons.

Do you believe that to be a current problem effecting our worldwide climate?

No, but it's weird to say that one part of the planet doesn't affect another part of the planet despite that Chernobyl says otherwise... that and acid rain data.

I've always supported conservation of resources (before you were even born). That doesn't mean I believe man can create "global warming."

right - that's why I laughed at Al Gore who made such final statement "MAN DID IT!" Like I said for past several months - global warming is a natural occurrence in order to correct the imbalance. Yes man did CONTRIBUTE to it but man is not the CAUSE of it. That's the big difference.

No, but it's weird to say that one part of the planet doesn't affect another part of the planet despite that Chernobyl says otherwise... that and acid rain data.
Is the Chernobyl accident changing our world-wide climate still?

right - that's why I laughed at Al Gore who made such final statement "MAN DID IT!" Like I said for past several months - global warming is a natural occurrence in order to correct the imbalance. Yes man did CONTRIBUTE to it but man is not the CAUSE of it. That's the big difference.

You have to keep in mind that we barely hit the 1 billion population in the 19th century. In the 18th/19th century, we found several ways to sustain a bigger population by relying on coal and oil production.

Today, we have a population of at least 6 billion.

Hubby just mentioned to me that he saw a special about Chernobyl on TV yesterday. (He is especially interested in Chernobyl because he visited that region a few years ago, and his interest in "nuke" topics since his Navy days.) The program showed that vegetation and animals have returned to that area. It's still not yet safe for humans.

Hubby reminded me that the "fallout" from volcanic ash (natural and almost constant) has more effect on the climate than any man-made "fallout" currently does.

Hubby just mentioned to me that he saw a special about Chernobyl on TV yesterday. (He is especially interested in Chernobyl because he visited that region a few years ago, and his interest in "nuke" topics since his Navy days.) The program showed that vegetation and animals have returned to that area. It's still not yet safe for humans.

Hubby reminded me that the "fallout" from volcanic ash (natural and almost constant) has more effect on the climate than any man-made "fallout" currently does.

that is correct. It is quite devastating enough to cause immediate change on global scale. So far - we haven't had any "super volcano eruption"...... for now........

My point is that it's odd to argue that one part of the world doesn't affect another part of the world. Anyway, is global warming happening? Dunno. However I do believe we have relative control over it. We can't stop changes, but we can slow them down or speed them up. Honestly, I want my grandkids to be able to see the mantellas of Madagascar by the time they grow up-- that is if the local climate didn't warm up enough for chytrid fungi move in and wipe them out first.

But as far as man causing it? Bull. Man only sped it up. The Earth will still be around. We will still be around, but the world we know it as today? No.

"Local" changes. A dirty river pollutes the shores and downstream but it doesn't change the global (worldwide) climate. LA smog effects that area but it doesn't change the climate in New York. An oil spill in the North Pacific doesn't change the climate of Germany.
What you just said is not really related to global warming or climate. A dirty river that pollutes the shores and downstream.... and LA smog... and oil spill do not really affect the weather but it affects our environment and our health.

I thought you didn't want God or religion discussed in this thread?
there's no religion debate in here. It's about perception of scale. "100 humans years is like 1 second to God's eyes" - I'm trying to make a point in this context because of your term "temporarily" and you know that 1 minute is 60 seconds to human but it's either 60 milliseconds or 60 years to Earth :)

"Temporary" means no effect on weather or climate patterns of activity, only on present conditions. Today's belching Buick in Baltimore isn't going to cause snow next month in Miami.
see above. again - we're not talking about some random occurrences. Every morning at nearly same time (because human is a creature of habit), there is rush hour on entire time zone (EST, PST, CST). When you combine the entire traffic jams on each time zone - you get a national-scale pollution. What happens when we do this for decades? It can become a global-scale pollution. Where do you think that air pollution goes to? It doesn't just "disappear."

Global Warming is simply a natural event to correct itself due to imbalance caused by many factors and mankind is one of them :)

Ok, let's get to the whole picture correctly... IPCC said we'll see an increase of 2 degrees in 2080. How many of you will be still alive by then? Not me.

Just because this year is the coldest os far doesn't mean there's no global warming. Like global warming deniers say that there was a warming period during Medieval age but what they failed to note is that it was extremely local and the rest of the country wasn't as warm as it is now.

Look at this map:

File:Global Warming Map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some spots that are COLDER than the rest in the past decade but it does NOT mean that there's no global warming. There are MORE hot areas than ever despite some spots being colder than ever.

Now, this is what it is predicted to happen in 2070 to 2100 (I doubt any of us will be alive by then):

File:Global Warming Predictions Map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No more blue spots. The entire globe is warming up.

However, as scary as it may look, you need to think ahead - because the top has the most increase in temperature does NOT mean that it's gonna be hotter than Texas - it doesn't. The increase is calculated relative to the history of temperature, not how hot it will be.

Are men responsible for this warming period? Likely. Is it possible for the Earth to be cold? Yes but there has to be something dramatic.

Contrary to what you think, it doesn't require much chemicals or manmade gases to cool down. Remember aerosol? They helped cool the earth and when we banned it, the earth started to warm faster. That provides evidence that we do influence the climate.

My mother heard on the radio that many drivers died in the snow. They used their GPS to drive on the road. It turned out that the GPS's map is not correct because they saw that there is no pavement at the end of road. Then, they turned around back of the road, but they can't see the pavement on both sides of the road because it was covered with snow. I may think that they didn't pay attention of what happen in the back road awhile they were driving. i.e. looking at a side mirror or a rear mirror. I guess that we need to be aware of this situation in the winter.

...Contrary to what you think, it doesn't require much chemicals or manmade gases to cool down. Remember aerosol? They helped cool the earth and when we banned it, the earth started to warm faster. That provides evidence that we do influence the climate.
So we all should start using aerosols again, and the climate will be equalized. ;)

Seriously.........

I look at it this way: If you get like 25 long lasting candles and light them in your bathroom, your bathroom will get warmer as time goes by. Thats local warming.

Think about of all the lights, houses, factories, automotive, methane gasses that emits from every creature, body heat, and every other heating element out there on the earth. It adds up.

Seriously.........

I look at it this way: If you get like 25 long lasting candles and light them in your bathroom, your bathroom will get warmer as time goes by. Thats local warming.

Think about of all the lights, houses, factories, automotive, methane gasses that emits from every creature, body heat, and every other heating element out there on the earth. It adds up.
Not really. Were it true that candles are such efficient heating sources. But they aren't.

Ok, let's get to the whole picture correctly... IPCC said we'll see an increase of 2 degrees in 2080. How many of you will be still alive by then? Not me.

Just because this year is the coldest os far doesn't mean there's no global warming. Like global warming deniers say that there was a warming period during Medieval age but what they failed to note is that it was extremely local and the rest of the country wasn't as warm as it is now.

Look at this map:

File:Global Warming Map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly. Right now I'm shivering and hoping it will get warmer soon. Now if we had record setting freezing tempetures over a span of ten years of more, I'd be heartened by a trend toward colder weather even though I'll not be looking forward to shivering in my living room because it would mean that global warming is being reversed. Conversely, the record heat waves of summer in a single does not mean that global warming is happening. Rather it's the trend of record highs in tempertures over a span of time like 10 years or more that have me concerned.

Conversely, there are some that say that the warming trend is natural; yes, it has happened before in natural cycles. Well, there is considerable evidence that this change is caused by our burning of fossil fuels. Also, this rise in temperutes is happening much faster than it would by natural means. It's happening much faster than life can adapt to on a evolutional basis. Though it's not known exactly what will happen, the destabilizing effect that it will have on civilizations around the globe is implict. It's easy to foresee that this will disrupt ecosystems and agriculture that is dependant on the ecosystems of the world.

Of course, many would not like hearing about all this stuff as it's frightening. Most of this will happen a century after I'm dead but I still don't like hearing this stuff. I'd much rather live much the way I grew up but will the grandchildren of my nieces and newphews live in the same climate that I live in? Highly unlikely. I've barely scratched the surface.

Most people don't like it any better than I do and many have paid money to deny this. I'm afraid it won't be easy to ignore this much longer though. That this is happening is not a matter of debate among most scientists - only among laypeople. Yes, you'll find scientists who'll deny this but these are not creditable people. Despite what some conspiracy nuts like to say, sciencists like nothing better than a paper that turns science upon it's head but it must be able to be provide evidence that counters most of the evidence for a theory that it counters.

There are some spots that are COLDER than the rest in the past decade but it does NOT mean that there's no global warming. There are MORE hot areas than ever despite some spots being colder than ever.

Now, this is what it is predicted to happen in 2070 to 2100 (I doubt any of us will be alive by then):

File:Global Warming Predictions Map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No more blue spots. The entire globe is warming up.

However, as scary as it may look, you need to think ahead - because the top has the most increase in temperature does NOT mean that it's gonna be hotter than Texas - it doesn't. The increase is calculated relative to the history of temperature, not how hot it will be.

Are men responsible for this warming period? Likely. Is it possible for the Earth to be cold? Yes but there has to be something dramatic.

Contrary to what you think, it doesn't require much chemicals or manmade gases to cool down. Remember aerosol? They helped cool the earth and when we banned it, the earth started to warm faster. That provides evidence that we do influence the climate.

I hear that geoengineering will be a hot new profession. Let's hope we can find a way to counter this.

Not really. Were it true that candles are such efficient heating sources. But they aren't.

Efficiency has nothing to do with warming.

Halogen generates A LOT MORE heat while consuming LESS energy than an incandescent bulb.

My mother heard on the radio that many drivers died in the snow. They used their GPS to drive on the road. It turned out that the GPS's map is not correct because they saw that there is no pavement at the end of road. Then, they turned around back of the road, but they can't see the pavement on both sides of the road because it was covered with snow. I may think that they didn't pay attention of what happen in the back road awhile they were driving. i.e. looking at a side mirror or a rear mirror. I guess that we need to be aware of this situation in the winter.

in case of bad weather - GPS accuracy is pretty bad. I cannot believe they paid more attention on GPS than road :roll:

Back