movie theatre *rant*

lovezebras

Reaction score
okkkk so I went to the movies tonight with Grace and we went to go see When In Rome...which was a good movie btw....So before the movie I was talking to JennyB and she said I should check if they have those things you can use to see captions...So she and I both checked online on the cineplex website and it listed that at the location I was going to they did indeed have this closed captioning device for me to use. So off we went to go pay for our tickets and ask for said device...and lo and behold they do have it YAY....but wait...THEY ONLY HAVE IT AVAILABLE IN ONE THEATRE! So If I wanted to sit in Theatre 11 and watch the movie "Edge of Darkness" Well then I'd be all set to go...but that was NOT the movie I wanted to see and unfortunately I had to sit through the movie...now I understood and asked Grace for some parts I didn't hear what was said...but come one! How do you advertise something and only partly offer the service...I was pretty pissed off....so now I know if I want to use that in the future...i better go see a movie (whether i like it or not) in theatre 11....FML

okkkk so I went to the movies tonight with Grace and we went to go see When In Rome...which was a good movie btw....So before the movie I was talking to JennyB and she said I should check if they have those things you can use to see captions...So she and I both checked online on the cineplex website and it listed that at the location I was going to they did indeed have this closed captioning device for me to use. So off we went to go pay for our tickets and ask for said device...and lo and behold they do have it YAY....but wait...THEY ONLY HAVE IT AVAILABLE IN ONE THEATRE! So If I wanted to sit in Theatre 11 and watch the movie "Edge of Darkness" Well then I'd be all set to go...but that was NOT the movie I wanted to see and unfortunately I had to sit through the movie...now I understood and asked Grace for some parts I didn't hear what was said...but come one! How do you advertise something and only partly offer the service...I was pretty pissed off....so now I know if I want to use that in the future...i better go see a movie (whether i like it or not) in theatre 11....FML

HAHAHAHAHA welcome to Deafness!! You get used to it. Waiting for DVD is better normally. We only have RW caption theatre in one complex here.
And they think deaf people want to see the oddest things normally.

Plus it annoys me that you have to give them your ID card to get the RW device. Who could possibly want to steal it? :crazy:

I virtually never go to the movies but maybe I will start just for the activism opportunities involved...:naughty::hmm:

So that device couldn't be taken from #11 to the one you were at?

The device only works with something else that's installed in that theatre or something, wasn't really paying attention to what the girl was saying.

lol yeah i'm prob not the best person to bring to the movies to explain things. although i'm hearing, i watch things with captions. I can hear very well but listening/understanding/processing/attention span is not particularly my forte.

no the device works with something else that is stationed in the theatre to be able to see the captions like a projection screen of some sort i am assuming and is only in that one theatre

well sorry to hear of your hard time with seeing your movie,I think that if they are going to advertise that they have a divise for you to see the captions then they should also spesify the theatre and not just say that they have one they should be located in all theatres so that movies can be enjoyed by all not just those who can hear

Another thread in hear mentioned a website called captionfish that tells you what movies are playin with captions and what type of caption. Not sure if it covers Canada or not. I really don't know why all theaters aren't caption ready. It can't be that expensive.

That would realllly piss me off, too! Whether it's by letter, phone call or verbal....let ur feelings be known about this traversty!...

So that device couldn't be taken from #11 to the one you were at?

There is a thing on the back wall, and then you read it on the RW device. It won't work if the theater is not equipped with the back wall screen.

Did you read the fine print online?

When theaters have those rear view captioning, it's usually done in only one room. So, you have to check the listing online or in person.

There's a theater near where I live that has rear view captioning, but the concept is the same... only one room has it and it varies on the movie. Sometimes, they don't have th programming for the captioning. So, no captions at all. :dunno:

There is a thing on the back wall, and then you read it on the RW device. It won't work if the theater is not equipped with the back wall screen.

Yeah, I should have known that. Alicia, from now on (at least until things get better), check online at caption fish.com or fomdi.com and see what is CCed at #11 at that particular theatre house.

I virtually never go to the movies but maybe I will start just for the activism opportunities involved...:naughty::hmm:

:rofl:

Apparently where I live blind customers can go to the movies for free. I'll have to try this one out too. :giggle:

What theatre was it Alicia? I always go to South Keys... it's the closest. I actually never knew you could ask for such a device... I will consider it next time I go to the theatre. Anyway, sorry to hear about that! They are so ill-equipped.

In my opinion...they should leave that theatre open....and play the movie you request when you get there.....

OR

advertise every weekend that whatever movie is playing for that weekend and that theatre will be open to Deaf or Hard of Hearing public....

Alicia...it sucks....the theatre we have in town doesnt have anything.....

:(

In my opinion...they should leave that theatre open....and play the movie you request when you get there.....

OR

advertise every weekend that whatever movie is playing for that weekend and that theatre will be open to Deaf or Hard of Hearing public....

Alicia...it sucks....the theatre we have in town doesnt have anything.....

:(

What's the population of your town?

Back