Movement under way in California to ban divorce

I don't think banning divorce will solve all the problems. It is a personal choice between both parties to undergo the divorce proceeding or whether it may be a marriage counseling, or whatanot. No law shouldn't have to be able to tell us whom we can marry or divorce to.

Marriage in a sense is more than what a paper can tell us. Sure, signing the marriage paper may solidify the next level of it's relationship. Just because we have the choice to divorce someone doesn't mean that it is necessary for it to be banned.

They should ban on divorce, if someone is marry from other country, they must prove that they're mean to be together and stay here in US or their country permanent. :D

Deafdude, with your attitude about relationships, I don't think that you have to worry about a woman wanting to marry you. Good luck with the girlfriend thing.

Well, if they should decide to ban divorce, then it will prevent dads from being deadbeat fathers. No child support.

And, also I can see the other side, too about abuse, if they should decide to ban divorce. It's very dangerous to harm the family who can not escape from the abuse... any type of abuse could affect their mental and health. It could cost them their life. It's not good for the kids, too.

I am just wonderin' WHAT is really behind it that they want to ban divorce ? What's their specific reason ? Are they hungry for tax ? Still lookin' for more tax in smallest things ? :hmm:

I still find this hard to believe that they are considerin' to ban divorce. :ugh: We are livin' in THIS CRAZY WORLD nowdays!

Moms does being deadbeat mother too.

Moms does being deadbeat mother too.

Well, either parent who is a deadbeat parent will be stuck with his/her spouse if, they ban divorce. I am wonderin' HOW that will affect children and their future children ?

My mom adviced me that I don't need a man in my life. That was back in 2001 after my divorce.

been tried. failed. will fail again. everyone have rights.

Well, either parent who is a deadbeat parent will be stuck with his/her spouse if, they ban divorce. I am wonderin' HOW that will affect children and their future children ?

My mom adviced me that I don't need a man in my life. That was back in 2001 after my divorce.

well thats true...you dont need a man to make you happy. you just need a man to support you, is all.

I don't think banning divorce will solve all the problems. It is a personal choice between both parties to undergo the divorce proceeding or whether it may be a marriage counseling, or whatanot. No law shouldn't have to be able to tell us whom we can marry or divorce to.

Marriage in a sense is more than what a paper can tell us. Sure, signing the marriage paper may solidify the next level of it's relationship. Just because we have the choice to divorce someone doesn't mean that it is necessary for it to be banned.

True. divorce is a very personal decision between two people and don't need anyone butting in to tell them what to do. My mom was married to a man for 10 yrs always threatening, yelling, abusing and treating us like crap so I am VERY pleased she divorced him and we are home free and our lives are just much more peaceful now. Imagine if the divorce was banned...the nightmare would just go on forever with endless amount of stress and abuse from that asshole.

I have been widowed for 17 years, and have the "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" attitude when it comes to marraige. I just don't feel the need to repeat the experience. My relationship doen't need to be validated by a legal document. It is valid as it is.

I hate that..when people dont validate other people's relationships all because they dont have a paper.

Ok, now lets look at the case in New Hampshire where they just passed gay marriage, what did actually happened? If you are not sure, alot gay couple from outside states flocked to New Hampshire to get married.

This applies to whenever law is banned in one state, people in that state will surely flock to another state to do whatever that is banned in their home state.

Well, if they should decide to ban divorce, then it will prevent dads from being deadbeat fathers. No child support.

And, also I can see the other side, too about abuse, if they should decide to ban divorce. It's very dangerous to harm the family who can not escape from the abuse... any type of abuse could affect their mental and health. It could cost them their life. It's not good for the kids, too.

I am just wonderin' WHAT is really behind it that they want to ban divorce ? What's their specific reason ? Are they hungry for tax ? Still lookin' for more tax in smallest things ? :hmm:

I still find this hard to believe that they are considerin' to ban divorce. :ugh: We are livin' in THIS CRAZY WORLD nowdays!
I doubt the divorce ban will cut down on deadbeat fathers or absent fathers.

Stephen King's father left his family when he was 2 even though his parents didn't divorce. According to his mother, his father just "walked out for cigarettes and never came back." If his mother had found his dad, it's possible he could have become a deadbeat dad as well as he was not there for Stephen King's family.

True. divorce is a very personal decision between two people and don't need anyone butting in to tell them what to do. My mom was married to a man for 10 yrs always threatening, yelling, abusing and treating us like crap so I am VERY pleased she divorced him and we are home free and our lives are just much more peaceful now. Imagine if the divorce was banned...the nightmare would just go on forever with endless amount of stress and abuse from that asshole.

I'm sorry that happened to you and your mother. Your story is one of the example why divorce ban would not solve everything. Sure, people can change but they have to change him/her self because we can't change them for our own.

I think this divorce ban proposal is just a fluke.

Think hard and long before you say , I do to that person. Before, you take that big step , make sure you see warning signs of odd behaviors such as , abuse and other signs such alcoholism, etc.. Get to know that person inside and out:dunno:

Think hard and long before you say , I do to that person. Before, you take that big step , make sure you see warning signs of odd behaviors such as , abuse and other signs such alcoholism, etc.. Get to know that person inside and out:dunno:

A person could put up a false front until after the wedding. The other way is to watch how he treats other people.

A person could put up a false front until after the wedding. The other way is to watch how he treats other people.

And sometimes you just don't know until after the fact which is the scary part. Some can really throw you for quite a loop before you realize what's really going on, aside from the abuse that is. This is what my ex-husband did.

Like Buffalo said...some people are experts at putting up a good front. My best friend went through that with her current hubby. She told me that if she had known beforehand that he was really the way he was, she would have never married him. You really just never know...

Yeah, that would be the commonly used phrase, although some states don't recognize commonlaw rights. In commonlaw states, if a couple cohabitates for a certain number of years, the law grants them the same rights as a couple with a marraige license.

Here in Texas it's 6 months before a common law marriage license is granted.

people usually see warning sides before they marry (and sometimes after), but when you are in a abusive relationship, you can't help feeling it was your fault, or the feeling that he'll change. Abusive men can be charming.

it take a while for a person to open her eyes that she is in abusive relationship and it is time to call it quit.

And I'm speaking from experience.

Other than that, I thought this ban was really a political statement for the same sex marriage because they are sick and tired of people telling them marriage help shape the family.

Its not from the gay marriage party, it's from the "traditional family values" party, and the same-sex party is signing the bill because they find this hilarious and impractical. Plus it's a chance for gays to vote on the marriages of heterosexual couples. Haha.

Back