Mother of a deaf child

Ellie

Reaction score
Hello, I am the mother of a deaf child. I am trying, for my son, to learn as much as I can about deafness, deaf culture, and how to teach him. I am not deaf, but for the past 20 months have been trying to learn as much as I could, with little or no progress, in my opinon. My son is now 20 months old and I know about as much as I did before he was born. I'm hoping that joining in chats, reading what I can and learning sign, which I am doing, or at least trying (I'm not doing as good as I want to, but I'm also learning on my own without classes) I can find the answer to questions that I still don't know. It doesn't help that he is our first child, and is going through other things (he was early and has a devlopment delay as well). I've been around children all my life I've not been around any deaf children and very few deaf adults. This is all very new to my husband and myself, and our family. Any help from anyone is welcomed and honestly asked for.

Thank you.
Ellie

Welcome Ellie! This is WONDERFUL that you've decided to see what can help your son! Coming here is a great first step! I know it's hard to decide on things like hearing aids and CIs and commuication styles....but we can help and give good feedback!

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us :thumb:

welcome to AD. something popped up in my mind. depend on where you live.. and i'm not sure if you have them. here in my town. there's a program for newly parents with deaf kids recently born or is under 2 years old. that we teach them sign language.. and the kids can play with other kids. this program is free.. its a non-profit orginization. and i dunno if ur area have those.. u can try to find information maybe contact elementary school that have deaf programs or so? just a thought :D

also u can share experience and get advice from other parents.

Hi Ellie!!!

Im in the same boat... but our boat is heading back to shore after being "stuck out to sea" for a bit. ;)

Well, a quick introduction:
My name is Katt, Im 22 years old. Im hearing, and so is my boyfriend(he is the father of both my children and the one on the way)... we have two children, both boys, both deaf.
James is six years old, he has a severe to profound bilateral hearing loss, which is hereditary
Ian is six months old, has the same loss, also hereditary, from my boyfriend's side of the family.

Im a signing mom, and strongly encourage a more natural state for children, IE. no hearing devices. I am raising my boys in a dhh world, and am steering clear of any kind of oralism or activities that encourage speaking and reading lips.(FOR NOW, later if they choose to pursue that, I will be the first to sign my kids up.)

Ok... thats my backround. :naughty:

I think it is wonderful that you are choosing this for your son, as eventually in life he will want to and will come into contact with the deaf culture and the people in it. At first the whole process is very overwhelming, and almost intimidating, but it gets easier and funner as time goes by.

Some books that I found very interesting and helpful finding the backround to deaf culture:

TRIUMPH OF THE SPIRIT (THE DPN CHRONICLE)
Author: DR. RAMOS

Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture
by Carol Padden, Tom Humphries
(This book is my personal favorite, Ive read it probably 10 times, and am now reading it to my six year old)

The Mask of Benevolence: Disabling the Deaf Community
by Harlan L. Lane

All great books.

Initially I used these websites to learn sign language, before I got into college classes(btw, college classes arent really that helpful when raising a small deaf child... in the long run they are, but the vocabulary is "off" from thier needs.)

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
http://www.lessontutor.com/eesASLdictionarylinks.html

Dont be afraid to ask questions. Ive been to hell and back on that giant bull of a school district. You will find as your baby gets older, who truly has his best interests and who is out to make money off of people with "disabilities".

First thing is first:
Have you applied for SSI? If you dont make much money, but want further help with getting speech therapists, aides, or any other kind of medical assistance with your child, I would contact SSI and get help. Ill pm you more on this, if you want me too. At this time I am able to spend full time being a sahm and dedicating my time to further educating my children on sign and deaf culture)
Have you been directed to an Early intervention Parent Advisor? An EIPA will help you find classes and tutors for your family to learn sign together, they will also provide a parent advocate to come to your home and help you with your rights, how the IEP process works, Theres also a life IEP for babies, I forgot what they are called, sorry(It depicts your life goals for your child growing, and what you would like to see as of accomplishments within your family and your child's hearing loss), also the EIPA helps with any other questions you have or resources you would like to find in your community(support groups for parents of deaf children, play groups, classes...etc)

If you dont have any of this stuff, pm me your state and Ill find you numbers to call.

Alot of deaf schools also have an early intervention preschool type environment, where parents and children come to interact, before they are legally allowed to join into preschool. If you are close to a deaf school, call them and find out if they provide this.

The most important thing right now is to learn basic signs of your child's daily activities. foods, bathing, eating, sleeping.
What I did for little james was take pictures of him doing certain activities. This allowed him to see the picture of himself, and open up the lines of communication for him and myself for signing to him.

For example. He has a picture of him in the bubble bath.(You can paste the picture on a posterboard card(I usually sized the posterboard 8 by 10) and get them laminated at Kinkos, so that he can hold them and not get grease and other little boy grossies on them.;)
On the front it had the picture and bold lettering "BATH" then on the back had a picture of a signer signing "BATH" So if I forgot the sign, it would be a quick reference for me and my son.

If you need quick reference sheets to print out, I have them on my computer, I am currently making reference sheets for my neighbor's children, so they can better understand and talk to my son. I can email them to you to look at. They have basic sentences like "clean your mess." "please stop." "Take turns"

Also work sheets to learn words. I know it seems very early right now, but your son is at the perfect learning age, learning delays or not. He just needs a little more attn. But what 20 month old dosent? ;)

Ill probably ramble forever, so Ill let you go now to stew on this. If you have questions, PLEASE feel free to ask me. Im an open book, and would love to make your journey through this as smooth as possible. I had to take the bull by its horns and ride, I wish that on no one. Especially when you get into the public school district... oh man, its like going out into a peaceful deer feild covered in land mines, I kid you not! You just gotta really watch everything, because the nicest, best dressed people are the :evil: sometimes.

(((lots of hugs to you)))

YOU WILL GET THROUGH ALL OF THIS FOG!! And the light at the end of the tunnel is so beautiful. Its like once you know.. then its done... but its hard work getting there, I wont lie.

my yahoo IM name is kattaca7 and my AIM name is Deafkattmom.

super hugs,
katt.

You're in luck

Ellie

First let me join others in welcoming you to AD. Most are friendly and willing to answer questions. Just keep an open mind.

I've been doing some research recently and have decided to move to Lexington where my sis lives with her family. How close are you to Danville (sp)? The KY School for the Deaf is there, and you may be able to get some info from them. Here's the link for KSD. Good luck to you.

http://www.ksd.k12.ky.us/

Welcome, Ellie! :welcome: The direction you and your husband seek would probably be best served by contacting school authorities at your nearest residential school for the deaf. If you live in Kentucky, then call the Kentucky School for the Deaf for advice what to do for your child. They would be very glad to help you. (they should!)
Since you have a deaf child in your family, it might test you and your husband emotionally. It is important that both of you be as understanding, loving, and as patient as you can.
Since your child is very young, he might get into a lot of things he shouldn't. Just give the sign, no-no! by waving your finger right and left like this :nono: and give him a hug afterwards. If he repeats the wrong or whatever thing he shouldn't do or get into, then you may have to be creative at finding ways for him to see why or why not. Take care and God bless!

Another recommendation

Ellie,

Something I forgot to mention earlier is a book that I first read years ago. It's called For Hearing People Only. There's plenty of information in it and it doesn't have a bunch of jargon or gibberish just answers in plain English. A major library should have it or KY School for the Deaf might have a book by mail program. Also the boards here have plenty of info and folks with real life experience.

Hello &
14.gif

Hello!

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here ;)

ITPjohn said:
Ellie
..... how close are you to Danville (sp)? The KY School for the Deaf is there, and you may be able to get some info from them. Here's the link for KSD. Good luck to you.

One of these links should work. I don't understand what's going on. Maybe it's too much sleep deprivation. The address is right, so try copy and paste. Good luck with your research. :)

Greetings! Welcome to the group. I think you may not be giving yourself enough credit. I'm sure that you know plenty, but you may not have to use it, so it's just there for you when you do! I am Stephanie, mom to Christian, 17 mos old and profoundly deaf. I am curious if Early Intervention is helping you in any way? Or Birth to Three? They help you learn sign and can help you understand things a little better. I am involved with them and they are wonderful!

Yeah, getting in touch with the state School for the Deaf is a MUST...most public Early Intervention programs don't have skilled Signers on staff....usually all they have are SLP who know a handful of Signs. Yes, I know that it's thought that schools for the Deaf tend to be bad academicly, but they are wicked good for Early Intervention....and I strongly believe that most dhh kids should attend a dhh specific EI program.

I think your going into right route! Learning sign language is the best thing! IMHO. Only small percentage of hearing parents willing to learn sign language with their deaf child. Patience is really a requirement here! PLUS persistance as well. My parents are hearing but they can sign (Not as good, yet better than NOTHING) and I do appreciate very much.

Ellie said:
Hello, I am the mother of a deaf child. I am trying, for my son, to learn as much as I can about deafness, deaf culture, and how to teach him. I am not deaf, but for the past 20 months have been trying to learn as much as I could, with little or no progress, in my opinon. My son is now 20 months old and I know about as much as I did before he was born. I'm hoping that joining in chats, reading what I can and learning sign, which I am doing, or at least trying (I'm not doing as good as I want to, but I'm also learning on my own without classes) I can find the answer to questions that I still don't know. It doesn't help that he is our first child, and is going through other things (he was early and has a devlopment delay as well). I've been around children all my life I've not been around any deaf children and very few deaf adults. This is all very new to my husband and myself, and our family. Any help from anyone is welcomed and honestly asked for.

Thank you.
Ellie

miraclemama said:
Greetings! Welcome to the group. I think you may not be giving yourself enough credit. I'm sure that you know plenty, but you may not have to use it, so it's just there for you when you do! I am Stephanie, mom to Christian, 17 mos old and profoundly deaf. I am curious if Early Intervention is helping you in any way? Or Birth to Three? They help you learn sign and can help you understand things a little better. I am involved with them and they are wonderful!
We have a program called First Steps here and they are really wonderful. They help alot, but there really isn't anything here in town until John is 3, when he can start going to school, Louisville Oral and Deaf School, for a couple days a week. Other than that we have a ST that comes to the house every other week right now, soon to be every week.

:welcome: You have come to the right place here. There are so many advices and suggestions to choose from. A lot of us, (deaf people) are very willing to help out with parents, who are learning about the deafness. Feel free to keep posting and express your questions, concerns, etc. about anything you have on your mind.

Again, :welcome: :thumb:

Back