Moral dilemma...wwyd?

Sunshine

Reaction score
So my roommate move out and now we have spare room for rent. I make posters, go post around town. First poster, I run into friend my sister. She very excite, say she want room, can she come by tonight pay deposit. I tell her come by tonight, view room, meet Dallas, etc.

Then, I text sister. Sister reply definitely not want rent this girl. She use drugs, she steal things so can buy drugs, she not work consistent, she smoke, she sleep around and bring drug dealers home. Sister say reason girl need room is her mom kick her out for stealing her tv. Girl 28 by the way.

So...I not want rent her!! No no no. But...how I tell her? I tell her first poster when I see her, so she know nobody rent it before her. Help!

Tell her you require drug testing for any roommates.

And a huge deposit, and being bonded.

Just tell her all the roommates have to agree, and there was no agreement with them.

Tell her the truth! Tell her you've learned some things about her that make her a less than desirable roommate - and that it just won't work out. No apologies. (Maybe you can even check if she has a criminal record, for extra leverage?)

So my roommate move out and now we have spare room for rent. I make posters, go post around town. First poster, I run into friend my sister. She very excite, say she want room, can she come by tonight pay deposit. I tell her come by tonight, view room, meet Dallas, etc.

Then, I text sister. Sister reply definitely not want rent this girl. She use drugs, she steal things so can buy drugs, she not work consistent, she smoke, she sleep around and bring drug dealers home. Sister say reason girl need room is her mom kick her out for stealing her tv. Girl 28 by the way.

So...I not want rent her!! No no no. But...how I tell her? I tell her first poster when I see her, so she know nobody rent it before her. Help!

Tell her Dallas wants to rent to his sister, it's state law that family gets first preference to your home, at least in Massachusetts.

Tell her the truth! Tell her you've learned some things about her that make her a less than desirable roommate - and that it just won't work out. No apologies. (Maybe you can even check if she has a criminal record, for extra leverage?)

I have to disagree with this, she's already proven she will cause physical harm by stealing the TV set. You don't want that kind of enemy so I'd handle it more diplomatically. Lie.

I would flat-out tell her the room is not for her, you don't allow smokers since you're preggy now...and of course no drugs....Finding a compatible roommate isn't easy....Wish her luck in her search and shut the door....

In the past I've had roommates from Hell...and it's hard to weed out the good ones from the bad.

It may get a little sticky when Sunny is "still looking" later, VG.

I know she have criminal record actually. She very crazy! Sister tell me she been mental institution before :shock: plus court order rehab five or six times. Eek! Not want this enemy!

There you go. You cannot rent to someone with a criminal record.

Definitely wouldn't want this girl as a roommate. I'd say just tell her the truth. I know that's sometimes hard to do but in the long run it'd be better.

I know she have criminal record actually. She very crazy! Sister tell me she been mental institution before :shock: plus court order rehab five or six times. Eek! Not want this enemy!

If she has a criminal record, that is a perfectly valid reason. But honestly, you don't have to give her any reason at all. Just say, sorry, this isn't going to work out.

Well...what nice way tell her??? Not want hurt her feeling, say it because I not want rent her personally.

Buy a big gun. (Smith and Wesson 500 perhaps.)

Holster it, so she can see it. Tell her, "Dear... This will not work out, I'm sorry." She will see that you are not to be messed with.

It may get a little sticky when Sunny is "still looking" later, VG.

At that point, the woman will either be in prison or in a shelter and I'm sure her sister will not be communicating with her anymore.

It sounds like we are talking meth or heroin, no worries.

There you go. You cannot rent to someone with a criminal record.

Yes. If Sunny is living in an apt, chances are she has to get approval from the landlord. And, most won't rent to those with a record, especially felonies.

Well...what nice way tell her??? Not want hurt her feeling, say it because I not want rent her personally.

Don't worry about being nice. Worry about protecting yourself and your child. She'll get over it.

Back