Moms & Dads - TV issue

Good Thread, dearest Magastu!

You asked for our opinion.

Here's my honest opinion:

I'm agree and disagree with your post.

1. It doesnt help when you forbid anything and protect your children from "garbages" world.
Why? Because your children will never learn what right or wrong sides when you hide them from the "garbages" world.
I rather to let my children to go to public school and involved with other pupils to learn themselves what good or bad etc instead of learn from only me all the time. Of course I show them what good or bad sides and explain them why I'm disagree etc.

All what you do is show them to learn what good or bad sides and get them to respect your rule. Spend your time to know your children because they need your love and attention.

2. No, it's nothing do with cruel but bit strict. I can say through your posts that you are the best father. Your children are lucky to have you and your attention.
BUT it doesnt help because your children will learn from other children. The child upbringing is not easy job!

3. Yes, I'm agree with you over TV plan. I limit my children with TV plan. My children watch DVD and video mostly! I do not allow my children to watch volience, etc. I'm also against that the children has their own TV in their bedrooms. I already explained my children why I'm not for TV in their bedroom. They understood.
I have 2 TV in 2 living rooms. We can watch my children at 1st living room directly (dinning room is middle between 1st and 2nd living room). My children check with me what they want to watch with TV magazine.

zesty said:
and also be active and healthy too.. cuz i see so many overweight and unhealthy children today... it makes me very sad because their parents are not involved in their life, .. or be involved with them to keep them busy to stimulate them intellectually or in sports.. or whatnot.. if you get my drift.. then there will be less children on the streets getting into trouble, etc.. this is my opinion..

Subject over overweight children.

The children eat anything with watch front of TV could be lead overweight. We never allow our children to eat anything front of TV. If they want something to eat then do it in the kitchen or dining room. Drink anything with fruits or some of sweets or fresh nuts/walnut are allowed. The breakfast, dinner & evening snack must be alway on the table in the kitchen or dinning room, not eating front of TV.

I got my boys sports which it's twice a week. They goes to soocer training every Wednesday & soocer match every Saturday. If we have nothing do so we go to indoor swimming, play card games, monolply games, play baseball games at yard, ride with bicycle, any games at garden, etc.

Banjo said:
There's nothing wrong with having no TV, however children are easily tempted to watch TV at their friends' houses.

Especially when many parents allow their kids to watch trashy shows making it difficult for you to discipline your child when you are not with the child. For your home, cable should be avoided. Perhaps movies and etc on DVDs that are suitable for children could be allowed to be watched.

Mainly, like Disney classics. After all, it's not a big deal to not have a TV. Especially when you have the internet to look up news, etc.

Agreed!!!

I remember how the problem was started when I wont let my children to have PC games/video games. They went out alot to their friends's houses and come back home with bad mood and complaint that their friends have them etc. They made fun of my boys because they dont have one. Terrible situation, I dont like to see my boys upset & aggressive over their nasty remarks etc. I'm lost and cant do anything to against it and have to understand that there're present time is the different than my time in the past. They are really happy that I got them video games at 3 years ago but they respect my limit and got them again PHS1 at 2 years ago, PC games which I bought computer last October 2003. I already got them PHS2 last Xmas presents. They are more than just happy. They are able to invite their friends to come our house. They borrow music, DVD, PC games, video games etc each other.

***sigh*** but it's important to see my boys happy.

It's good that they respect my rule for allow to watch TV, DVD, etc like you mentioned but volience is out of question.

Magatsu said:
I want to add one more thing about this topic. I am not taking the TV away from them completely for lifetime. I read the books about TV-related problems with kids. It got me wonder... what if I take the TV down for 5 - 7 years, will that make the bond between me and my kids any stronger...? The author of 'child development' books said yes.

It kinda got me curious about it.

Also I updated my first post to make it more clear for some parents before they jump to the conclusion that whoever watch the TV with kids are bad... which I am not saying that they are. It is all about me and my kid(s).

Honestly, I don't think I am strict about that... I am very flexible but strict at the point. It is not about strictness, it is all about bonding itself.

Yes, I know what you mean.
We like to share our opinion with you because you ask our opinion in your thread.
I know what you are saying that we are not bad parents for let our kids to watch TV etc but we only share our opinions with you here.

I let my children watch toddler/children TV when they are babies which it's good for them to listen their children songs for the change and also children music, too. (not all the day).

Honestly, I never like to watch the TV so I really don't care if I put it away somewhere... I want to spend my time and my attention to my kid(s). Bonding is very important part to me and I want them to get the message that I want to be part of their life... and I want them to be part of my life. That's what a dad role means.[/QUOTE]

Its really wonderful hearing that you care so much about being a daddy someday. Thats wonderful! Not a lot of men feel this way. :)

When my nephew was here...

I would block MTV, VH1, Bravo, any channel that show sex and other stuff.

I complained to the FCC about Jerry Springer and other stuff.

I don't watch HBO and cinemax anymore. It is tooo x rated now.

I am glad that my nephew only watched Nick Tv, Disney channel,
and played Playstation all day...

I agree that kids can get caught up with too much TV, and it's not good for them. A good example of this would be my neice and nephew. When they visit us, we try to limit the television to things they really want to watch. At home, though, they pretty much overdose on television, and I don't think that's good for them.

I also think it's perfectly okay to not allow a young child to view television. Babies have no business being glued to the television since they really don't know what they are watching, anyway. As for the older child, certain age appropriate shows are fine with limitations on how much the television is viewed.

I allow my niece and nephew to view shows like Sesame Street, Blues Clues, Dora the Explorer and others. However, I think too much of this can be bad thing. too. When I was growing up, I was limited to an hr or two of tv in the evening, after my school work was finished. On the weekends, I was limited to two fours of TV per day. My Mother was also a stay at home mom, so when she got tired of our butts, she sent us outside to play or to our rooms to play. I see no reason why this can't be done nowadays.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
... I plan to locate the TV in garage or somewhere outside of my baby's eyes like Rec room or something for 5 - 7 years.
Excellant idea. When I was a kid my dad kept our TV on a wheeled cart in a closet. When we wanted to watch TV, he would roll it into the room for the family to watch together. I guess you could use an entertainment cabinet with doors to do the same thing. Keep the cabinet closed except for rare use. Might be a little more comfortable than the garage. :)

... I want to know if is it okay for me (or us) to not allow our baby to watch the TV from birth to 5 - 7 years?
Absolutely OK. Your kids' brains will develope much better, and their bodies will not turn into tater tots (those are baby couch potatoes).

Babies and young children's nervous system and brains are very impressionable and still developing. Even "educational" programs are not good for very young children. The fast-paced moving pictures and constantly changing scenes do not develop brains for concentration. You notice that children who watch a lot of TV are easily bored and distracted from concentration. Also, the advertising in programs feeds their naturally selfish desires.

Think about this. Do you know any adults who now say, "I regret that I didn't watch MORE TV when I was a kid"? Of course not. Do you know adults who say, "I regret wasting so much time watching TV"? Yes.

Is it cruel for me to do that to my (or our) baby?
No, it is not cruel. It is a great kindness. Plopping a child in front of a TV is laziness. Spending time together requires your effort.

You might find this link interesting:

http://www.limitv.org/tvaddadhd.htm

Last edited:
Im sorry but Id have to disagree a little with the babies watching tv thing.. I started watching tv when I was 5 months and I had a wide range of vocabulary and grammer by reading closed captioning on tv. I also became a speed reader from that.

I dont plop Landon in front of tv all the time, but once in a while. I have dvds designed specifically for babies that show animals and puppets and toys.. and Landon lights up when he sees it and gets excited. He's glued to it for an hour.. then I move on to other activities with him.

Thanks for interesting link, Reba.

I'm going to print it and read at lunch time today and will be back for an answer.

i have baby dvds called Baby Einstein (sp?), they are attractive for babies to toddlers. they are great.

Liebling, point taken. Thanks for sharing your opinion with me and your compliments! ;)

BewitchedKitten said:
Its really wonderful hearing that you care so much about being a daddy someday. Thats wonderful! Not a lot of men feel this way. :)
Thanks! :D I heard that several times from women, it made me happy knowing that I can be the best father for my future kid(s). Even though it is just - ideas.. once reality swings down and hit me, I will find out what kind of father I will be but for sure, I will stick with my ideals. Thanks for your another post about your disagreement, I will take that into account.

Oceanbreeze said:
I agree that kids can get caught up with too much TV, and it's not good for them. A good example of this would be my neice and nephew. When they visit us, we try to limit the television to things they really want to watch. At home, though, they pretty much overdose on television, and I don't think that's good for them.

I also think it's perfectly okay to not allow a young child to view television. Babies have no business being glued to the television since they really don't know what they are watching, anyway. As for the older child, certain age appropriate shows are fine with limitations on how much the television is viewed.

I allow my niece and nephew to view shows like Sesame Street, Blues Clues, Dora the Explorer and others. However, I think too much of this can be bad thing. too. When I was growing up, I was limited to an hr or two of tv in the evening, after my school work was finished. On the weekends, I was limited to two fours of TV per day. My Mother was also a stay at home mom, so when she got tired of our butts, she sent us outside to play or to our rooms to play. I see no reason why this can't be done nowadays.
I agree with you. Hmmm, time-limit does sound like a good strategy. Will see how it is... also like what meg said, depends on my lover, if she is willing to work it out to encourage kids to develop better than common. If not then that's something I have to think about. Thanks for sharing your opinion too!

Last edited:
Reba said:
Excellant idea. When I was a kid my dad kept our TV on a wheeled cart in a closet. When we wanted to watch TV, he would roll it into the room for the family to watch together. I guess you could use an entertainment cabinet with doors to do the same thing. Keep the cabinet closed except for rare use. Might be a little more comfortable than the garage. :)
Yeah. That's what I thought so. Rec room is good idea when compare to garage :)

Reba said:
Absolutely OK. Your kids' brains will develope much better, and their bodies will not turn into tater tots (those are baby couch potatoes).

Babies and young children's nervous system and brains are very impressionable and still developing. Even "educational" programs are not good for very young children. The fast-paced moving pictures and constantly changing scenes do not develop brains for concentration. You notice that children who watch a lot of TV are easily bored and distracted from concentration. Also, the advertising in programs feeds their naturally selfish desires.

Think about this. Do you know any adults who now say, "I regret that I didn't watch MORE TV when I was a kid"? Of course not. Do you know adults who say, "I regret wasting so much time watching TV"? Yes.
Wow. You hit it very good. The books mentioned about it too but I haven't give it a thought until you mentioned about it. That's what author of books concerned about babies and young children's nervous system. TV is programmed to 'aim' for that to stimulate. Very good comments! Glad that you shared your view of points with me.

Reba said:
No, it is not cruel. It is a great kindness. Plopping a child in front of a TV is laziness. Spending time together requires your effort.

You might find this link interesting:

http://www.limitv.org/tvaddadhd.htm
Glad that you and others didn't think that it is cruel for me to not allow that. That's what I want for my kid(s) and family.. I mean, spending time together to develop the bonding, love, etc

About link, wow. That is very interesting. I read some but will add some more when I read all of it. Thanks for link! :thumb:

downing said:
i have baby dvds called Baby Einstein (sp?), they are attractive for babies to toddlers. they are great.
Thanks for suggestion! I definitely will check it out.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
Liebling, point taken. Thanks for sharing your opinion with me and your compliments! ;)

Thanks! :D I heard that several times from women, it made me happy knowing that I can be the best father for my future kid(s). Even though it is just - ideas.. once reality swings down and hit me, I will find out what kind of father I will be but for sure, I will stick with my ideals. Thanks for your another post about your disagreement, I will take that into account.

I agree with you. Hmmm, time-limit does sound like a good strategy. Will see how it is... also like what meg said, depends on my lover, if she is willing to work it out to encourage kids to develop better than common. If not then that's something I have to think about. Thanks for sharing your opinion too!

The time limit strategy worked best for us. TV was more like a reward for us, too. For instance, when I got my homework done, I could watch my favorite television show if I wanted to. I also got to watch some tv before I went to bed. I actually *had* a bed time, also. My parents made sure I was in bed by 8pm when I was really young. It increased to 9pm when I got alittle older. However, I don't think I stayed up any later than that until I was in HS. Then, it was 10pm. :giggle:

Yeah, my parents loved sending us to bed!! :lol:

I grew up with TV & I turned out OK! ;) I :bowdown: my parents. They let me watch television whenever I want to when I was a little girl. It did not prevent me from developing a good relationship with my parents. I don’t see anything wrong allowing my "child" to watch the shows on television. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong to allow/forbid your child(ren) from watching television.

Oceanbreeze, yeah. Just like counsellors in deaf schools did with kids :)

Pythia said:
I grew up with TV & I turned out OK! ;) I :bowdown: my parents. They let me watch television whenever I want to when I was a little girl. It did not prevent me from developing a good relationship with my parents. I don’t see anything wrong allowing my "child" to watch the shows on television. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong to allow/forbid your child(ren) from watching television.
My parents let me watch TV whatever I want to as well (actually my dad is a TV addict...) but for some reason, I choose to not. I love to play outside with friends. Ride the bike, swimming, etc etc.. I only watch two or three TV programs (Robotech, Transformers and Gi-Joes). Other than that, if anyone want to find me, they have to look for me outside somewhere.

I haven't watch the TV until Nintendo comes out, I finally find a reason to use the TV when these TV programs are over (Robotech, etc). [removed since I don't like to be sound like arrogant... even though I inserted the humor]

Edit: Removed some comment.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
I haven't watch the TV until Nintendo comes out, I finally find a reason to use the TV when these TV programs are over (Robotech, etc).

I loved Nintedo! When I went to California visiting my cousins, I used to play Mario Bros all night with my cousin's best friend. He'd come over every night and we'd play together. Being a teenager is fun! I barely have time for TV or video game anymore. That's either them or Internet.

Pythia said:
I loved Nintedo! When I went to California visiting my cousins, I used to play Mario Bros all night with my cousin's best friend. He'd come over every night and we'd play together. Being a teenager is fun! I barely have time for TV or video game anymore. That's either them or Internet.
Know what is funny about being a teenager? When we were teenagers, we were complained and hurried up to be adults so we can have more 'freedom'. Look at us right now. Ha. Yes, freedom but comes with responsibilities and headaches.

Anyway, I barely have the time for video games as well... Actually I think I outgrows it. I tried to sit down and play but I kept distracted by something else and walked off... About TV, I stopped watching ever since Nov 2nd. Actually I usually rarely watch the TV...

Last edited:
Back