Moms & Dads - TV issue

Vance

Reaction score
I had this discussion with Nas and my latest ex before.. but I am curious about your opinions.

I already work the plans out for my future baby and what will I do with my (or our) baby. There is more than that but for now, it is TV-related topic only. Once we (whoever and I) have a baby... I plan to locate the TV in garage or somewhere outside of my baby's eyes like Rec room or something for 5 - 7 years. I (actually I prefer 'we') want to spend my time and my attention focus on my (or our) baby. Ok now, what is the point of this topic... I want to know if is it okay for me (or us) to not allow our baby to watch the TV from birth to 5 - 7 years? At same time, I will not watch the TV... I would encourage my lover to do that same thing. In fact, I rarely watch the TV these days... nowaday, TV shows nothing but garbages.. some shows are good but not worth my time enough to divert my attention from family. Of course we, my lover and I will watch the movies whenever our baby is sleeping or napping. But other than that, no TV or movies.

Is it cruel for me to do that to my (or our) baby? Or is it logically thing to do for me to do that -- to encourage the bond between my baby and me (as a dad) to grow up?

P.S. I know the fact that whatever plans I work out probably will not working in reality.. anything can happen, I am aware of that but I am firmly with my TV plan. Huge thank to that book I read about child development.

So what's your opinion?

Edit: To parents, please don't jump to the conclusion that whoever watch the TV with kids are bad parents. I never say that. You can tell that clearly that I am talking about me and my kids. Again, I am not saying that watching the TV is bad for you. So please keep that in your mind.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
I had this discussion with Nas and my latest ex before.. but I am curious about your opinions.

I already work the plans out for my future baby and what will I do with my (or our) baby. There is more than that but for now, it is TV-related topic only. Once we (whoever and I) have a baby... I was planning to locate the TV in garage or somewhere outside of my baby's eyes like Rec room or something for 5 - 7 years. I (actually I prefer 'we') want to spend my time and my attention focus on my (or our) baby. Ok now, what is the point of this topic... I want to know if is it okay for me (or us) to not allow our baby to watch the TV from birth to 5 - 7 years? At same time, I will not watch the TV... I would encourage my lover to do that same thing. In fact, I rarely watch the TV these days... nowaday, TV shows nothing but garbages.. some shows are good but not worth my time enough to divert my attention from family. Of course we, my lover and I will watch the movies whenever our baby is sleeping or napping. But other than that, no TV or movies.

Is it cruel for me to do that to my (or our) baby? Or is it logically thing to do for me to do that -- to encourage the bond between my baby and me (as a dad) to grow up?

P.S. I know the fact that whatever plans I work out probably will not working in reality.. anything can happen, I am aware of that but I am firmly with my TV plan. Huge thank to that book I read about child development.

So what's your opinion?

i am with you!! there is SO MUCH GARBAGE on tv these days that children dont need to see or hear.. but the problem is.. when they go to their relatives or freinds house, they will watch tv.. and love it.. and then come home.. and give you a hard time about it.. unless you and your spouse stand firm and stick to it.. thats my only concern.. cuz i have seen it happen to other families.. or you can limit tv time and limit shows such as sesame street etc cuz i think they are educational shows.. but shows like barney, blues, etc.. are trashy.. dont you think? i dunno (shrugs) feedback? HMMM...

Magatsu said:

So what's your opinion?

TV is garbage these days for kids with a few exceptions but my daughters are old enough to know the difference, unlike toddlers.

It is LOGICAL. Remember most of us grew up without TV. Look at us..we turned out fine, didnt we? I certainly did not lack anything for not being able to watch TV while growing up. It only fueled my love for reading and playing outside.

But it is going to be extremely difficult for you if your wife to be does not support you. It will take 2 to pull this off successfully.

Kids start paying attention to mass media at around age 5 so it will become a battle after that but I am sure that you will have ways to keep them entertained and not yearn for TV or things that their peers have.

I limited TV watching for my kids since their births. The thing that I refuse to allow them to have is Video Games. They never had any video games like X Box, Nintendo, etc. I tell them I will never have that in my own house. Same goes for their father so it helps us reinforce that policy. To this day, my girls never expressed any interest in playing video games.

Meg said:
TV is garbage these days for kids with a few exceptions but my daughters are old enough to know the difference, unlike toddlers.

It is LOGICAL. Remember most of us grew up without TV. Look at us..we turned out fine, didnt we? I certainly did not lack anything for not being able to watch TV while growing up. It only fueled my love for reading and playing outside.

But it is going to be extremely difficult for you if your wife to be does not support you. It will take 2 to pull this off successfully.

Kids start paying attention to mass media at around age 5 so it will become a battle after that but I am sure that you will have ways to keep them entertained and not yearn for TV or things that their peers have.

I limited TV watching for my kids since their births. The thing that I refuse to allow them to have is Video Games. They never had any video games like X Box, Nintendo, etc. I tell them I will never have that in my own house. Same goes for their father so it helps us reinforce that policy. To this day, my girls never expressed any interest in playing video games.

well-said meggie!! thanks for being my guinea pig!! :kiss: :giggle:

zesty said:
i am with you!! there is SO MUCH GARBAGE on tv these days that children dont need to see or hear.. but the problem is.. when they go to their relatives or freinds house, they will watch tv.. and love it.. and then come home.. and give you a hard time about it.. unless you and your spouse stand firm and stick to it.. thats my only concern.. cuz i have seen it happen to other families.. or you can limit tv time and limit shows such as sesame street etc cuz i think they are educational shows.. but shows like barney, blues, etc.. are trashy.. dont you think? i dunno (shrugs) feedback? HMMM...
You have a point there.. I never think of that one. I mean our relatives... damn it -_-

Sesame Street does sound appealing for my kid(s) to watch but other than that.. Barney or Blues? I must admit that I am not familiar with these shows.. But the problem is that I don't want my child and her/his education to be stimulated by TV because of laziness and such. I don't want to have my child to grow the 'bond' with TV... I prefer to have my child to have me as a real dad role. Not letting the TV to handle the education & job for us. That is morally wrong but again, that's me.

Zesty -

I beg to differ.

Barney and Blues are not trashy shows. They were wonderful for my girls. They learnt songs and how to solve simple games using Blues Clues. Yes, Barney is an annoying animal but my girls really enjoyed them.

Meg said:

I completely agree with you. Playing outside and reading is very important... We can use Abraham Lincoln as a good example.

Meg said:

Yeah, that's my biggest concern. As what my mom told me before... move to country area far away from cities where I can 'control' the stimulation between my kid(s) and media. The last thing I want to have my kid(s) to be brainwashed by TV craps like CNN and Fraud News. You know, young kids tend to love to spend their time around with animals, outdoor activities and such. If I use that chance when my kid(s) is in stimulation-sensitive phase, my kid(s) will keep themselves busy with animals, outdoor activities, etc..

About wife/lover, that is entirely true. That is my biggest challenge right now. Good thing that Nas is open to that idea but what if we didn't get along or something like that, that's where I am concerning about. If no luck, I guess move to Sweden probably will solve that problem lol. Or look harder for a woman who have the same interests and philosophy as I do. I do realize that I am very rare man who have that kind of beliefs and philosophy... I want to discuss it over with men to see how they did and such but haha, it is virtually impossible to find such men.

Meg said:
I plan to do that as well. I mean, not allowing my kid(s) to have video games for certain time.

Native Americans did it so well with their kids... so why not we did that same thing as well? That's what I am wondering time to time.

Meg said:
Zesty -

I beg to differ.

Barney and Blues are not trashy shows. They were wonderful for my girls. They learnt songs and how to solve simple games using Blues Clues. Yes, Barney is an annoying animal but my girls really enjoyed them.

yea.. i have never really watched those shows.. but i have had some mothers tell me that.. some mothers have different opinions.. i guess (shrugs)

zesty said:
yea.. i have never really watched those shows.. but i have had some mothers tell me that.. some mothers have different opinions.. i guess (shrugs)

It was more that they were annoying - not trash - but you have to remember that toddlers love repititions - it really helps them to learn if you repeat over and over until they get it, like in Teletubbies or Barney or Blues Clues, etc.

Magatsu said:
You have a point there.. I never think of that one. I mean our relatives... damn it -_-

Sesame Street does sound appealing for my kid(s) to watch but other than that.. Barney or Blues? I must admit that I am not familiar with these shows.. But the problem is that I don't want my child and her/his education to be stimulated by TV because of laziness and such. I don't want to have my child to grow the 'bond' with TV... I prefer to have my child to have me as a real dad role. Not letting the TV to handle the education & job for us. That is morally wrong but again, that's me.

and also be active and healthy too.. cuz i see so many overweight and unhealthy children today... it makes me very sad because their parents are not involved in their life, .. or be involved with them to keep them busy to stimulate them intellectually or in sports.. or whatnot.. if you get my drift.. then there will be less children on the streets getting into trouble, etc.. this is my opinion..

zesty said:
and also be active and healthy too.. cuz i see so many overweight and unhealthy children today... it makes me very sad because their parents are not involved in their life, .. or be involved with them to keep them busy to stimulate them intellectually or in sports.. or whatnot.. if you get my drift.. then there will be less children on the streets getting into trouble, etc.. this is my opinion..
Exactly. I want to be involved with them or having them to be involved with us (me and my lover/wife). That's the most important part in their life and ours.

There's nothing wrong with having no TV, however children are easily tempted to watch TV at their friends' houses.

Especially when many parents allow their kids to watch trashy shows making it difficult for you to discipline your child when you are not with the child. For your home, cable should be avoided. Perhaps movies and etc on DVDs that are suitable for children could be allowed to be watched.

Mainly, like Disney classics. After all, it's not a big deal to not have a TV. Especially when you have the internet to look up news, etc.

Magatsu,

That is your choice to make as a parent but I beg the differences with garbage on TV like you say, Everything on TV are not garbage. Barney are all time children's favorite, Blue Clues are pretty cute, It about finding clues that blue clue "the dog" leaves. Sesame Street is a learning program, Cartoons are not even bad at all. Watching movies much as Toys Story any other Disney's movies are good to watch also. The point is no matter if you trying to have your child avoid TV, Your child is going to learn the garbage in reality of real life in school, their friends your children will make. You cannot protect them all the time, because you not there all the time to watch.

Zesty, I have to disagree with you about overweight children, It has nothing to do with watching too much TV, Its the food they are eating that cause overweight problems.

zesty said:

Just because other mothers tell you that, Maybe the mothers did not like Barney like most mothers don't. but the children love Barney it was the most popluar all time American shows for children.

My husband and I grew up addicted to the tv. I broke through but he is still stuck there and I am soo patient, argh.

I am so appalled when I see things on tv nowdays, it makes me cringe!! My solution: No Cable.. mwahahaha :twisted: bye bye tv :bye:

Lol, also I prefer renting movies. I can monitor the ratings and choose whether its good or not for my son to watch.. heck, even for me and my husband too!

So far, Landon is 3 months old and I do admit, he looooves watching Baby Einstein and Popeye. I let him watch it from time to time, just to let him learn about color, shape, moving and voices.

I am working hard to break my husbands addiction (its big), so we can have family bonding time.. tv is NOT bonding! :o

Banjo said:
There's nothing wrong with having no TV, however children are easily tempted to watch TV at their friends' houses.

Especially when many parents allow their kids to watch trashy shows making it difficult for you to discipline your child when you are not with the child. For your home, cable should be avoided. Perhaps movies and etc on DVDs that are suitable for children could be allowed to be watched.

Mainly, like Disney classics. After all, it's not a big deal to not have a TV. Especially when you have the internet to look up news, etc.
Yeah. Good point. No cable can solve some problem but again, visiting friends or relatives' places may not.

Cheri said:
Magatsu,

That is your choice to make as a parent but I beg the differences with garbage on TV like you say, Everything on TV are not garbage. Barney are all time children's favorite, Blue Clues are pretty cute, It about finding clues that blue clue "the dog" leaves. Sesame Street is a learning program, Cartoons are not even bad at all. Watching movies much as Toys Story any other Disney's movies are good to watch also. The point is no matter if you trying to have your child avoid TV, Your child is going to learn the garbage in reality of real life in school, their friends your children will make. You cannot protect them all the time, because you not there all the time to watch.
I didn't say all shows are garbages. I agree with you that Sesame Street does provide the benefits. I do aware that my child will learn the garbage in the reality like school or wherever it is. Even though I prefer home-schooling over school. But that's not what I am concerning about. I am more concerning about baby to 5 - 7 years old, where stimulation-sensitive phase/stage is. I want to have a bond with my child thru different things included education. I don't want to have TV to educate my kid(s)... I (or we) want to educate our kid(s)... that's where 'bonding' will sets in firmly thru stimulation-sensitive phase/stage.

Honestly, I never like to watch the TV so I really don't care if I put it away somewhere... I want to spend my time and my attention to my kid(s). Bonding is very important part to me and I want them to get the message that I want to be part of their life... and I want them to be part of my life. That's what a dad role means.

BewitchedKitten said:
My husband and I grew up addicted to the tv. I broke through but he is still stuck there and I am soo patient, argh.

I am so appalled when I see things on tv nowdays, it makes me cringe!! My solution: No Cable.. mwahahaha :twisted: bye bye tv :bye:

Lol, also I prefer renting movies. I can monitor the ratings and choose whether its good or not for my son to watch.. heck, even for me and my husband too!

So far, Landon is 3 months old and I do admit, he looooves watching Baby Einstein and Popeye. I let him watch it from time to time, just to let him learn about color, shape, moving and voices.

I am working hard to break my husbands addiction (its big), so we can have family bonding time.. tv is NOT bonding! :o
Yeah, cut the cable will solve some problems.

Your husband is a TV addict? LoL. Kick him. Beat him. Spank him. haha :lol: Seriously, yeah, TV is definitely not bonding or use it to keep my kid(s) busy... I simply want to have a bond with kid(s). It shouldn't be difficult.. well, I guess.

I want to add one more thing about this topic. I am not taking the TV away from them completely for lifetime. I read the books about TV-related problems with kids. It got me wonder... what if I take the TV down for 5 - 7 years, will that make the bond between me and my kids any stronger...? The author of 'child development' books said yes.

It kinda got me curious about it.

Also I updated my first post to make it more clear for some parents before they jump to the conclusion that whoever watch the TV with kids are bad... which I am not saying that they are. It is all about me and my kid(s).

Honestly, I don't think I am strict about that... I am very flexible but strict at the point. It is not about strictness, it is all about bonding itself.

Last edited:
I let my boys watch educational tv show. like on Disney or PBS...people tell me how well developed my son has for his language development and speech. he is only 2 1/2?! it sure does help....watch shows like Blue Clues _it has signs btw, dinosaurs, stanley (about animals), I prefer disney because a lot of them are educational...i limit tv time like 2 hrs a day...and let boys play....play music, read book, toy time. etc. outdoors if weather permits.

no news or anything.. too much for a kid

Back