Mom told me she want me to hear out of both ears?

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
I object to hear out of both ears because i never heard out of my left ear. I want to remain deaf in my left ear because some people here have said theyre against hearing when they never heard a sound before i heard sounds from my right ear my whole life up to now. Most deaf people say its hard to reconize sound but thats what im feeling. I dont wanna ever hear out of both ears because i dont have the experance with sound in my left ear. I have experance in my right ear. So thats the only ear i want restored. So tell me what you think.

I am trying to understand you better. I was wondering why you hate being "Deaf" and the same time wanting to remain deaf on one ear? Can you please explain?

i honestly dont think thats matter of which ear your mind already have known the sounds so im sure right ear and left ear are same ... i never heard a sound before till i was 9 and i had to learn to recongize the sounds... you however already have it in ur mind so.. i do not think it really matter?

by the way i never meet anybody who have TWO CI ...

Hmmmm. Grasshoppers hear through their knees.
So maybe...?

Last edited:
I was told that if one gets a CI -- one has to go through as assessment -- an array of tests to ensure that he or she's a prime candidate for getting a CI. The doctors normally implant CIs in the worse ear (meaning your most deaf ear). Reason for that is they don't want to damage the better ear that may give you a chance to have the cilli hairs in it to be re-grown sometimes in the near future as they're currently working on re-generating cilli hairs that'll enable hearing in ears that have dead cilli hairs. (At least at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital in Australia)

thats waht doctor said to my parents too before i get CI i remmebered visiting doctors so many times before i finally got it. and now that there is new development on hair re-growth in process my doctor thinks i might have a chance with it ..

Ravensteven,

You don't need your mother approve, because you are 43 yrs old. you can make your own choice what you want to do not what others want you to do.

PurpleRose71 said:
I was told that if one gets a CI -- one has to go through as assessment -- an array of tests to ensure that he or she's a prime candidate for getting a CI. The doctors normally implant CIs in the worse ear (meaning your most deaf ear). Reason for that is they don't want to damage the better ear that may give you a chance to have the cilli hairs in it to be re-grown sometimes in the near future as they're currently working on re-generating cilli hairs that'll enable hearing in ears that have dead cilli hairs. (At least at the Royal Melbourne Eye and Ear Hospital in Australia)
i have heard from other CI users that most doctors prefer to implant the better ear...

my doctor and audiologist recommand me to implant the better ear. so therefore i follow their recommand since its a better chance of success, because the nerves works better..

Just get a Ci I think you will be happy, do whats best for you.Dont worry what people say about you cool .

I agree with Cheri and harleymn. But mom says i know nothing about the ears and how hearing works. She thinks its the doctors call. I do agree with scuba post i think ill recover my hearing that way instead of my bad worst left deaf ear.

ravensteve1961 said:
I object to hear out of both ears because i never heard out of my left ear. I want to remain deaf in my left ear because some people here have said theyre against hearing when they never heard a sound before i heard sounds from my right ear my whole life up to now. Most deaf people say its hard to reconize sound but thats what im feeling. I dont wanna ever hear out of both ears because i dont have the experance with sound in my left ear. I have experance in my right ear. So thats the only ear i want restored. So tell me what you think.

I have a friend who will get implant next year, they told him they will implant in one ear that has 70 percent hearing loss instead of other one with 90 percent. I told him, once he gets implant in that ear, he may have to get used to it without sound for awhile. I thought they should implant bad one but I guess they do not.

Good luck with ur implant.

Ravensteve, bilateral implantation is still pretty rare. I know everyone's saying that docs usually implant worse ear, but I think it depends on circumstances. You would probaly get limited benifit if you got the worse ear implanted since you've never heard from that ear. They have found that people who lost their hearing do so much better then people who've never ever been able to get much benifit from hearing aids.

ravensteve1961 said:

I think you are in your 40s so why do you need your mom's approval? Live your own life as you see fit. You wanted to know what I think so here is my 2 cents.

I have a CI in my right ear. Recently there was a woman who got CI s in both ears and that was a first in the state of Oregon. Insurance companies balk at paying for both ears so for most part, nearly all CI folks will get just one.

There are many people who do wear Hearing Aids in one ear and have CI in another ear. I haven't tried that yet but I should give it a chance to see if it really makes any difference or not. So far, having just one CI really makes a huge difference.

ravensteve1961 said:

I'm glad to find this discussion. I was hearing until I was 30 years old. I have been deaf for 21 years and I really don't want a CI. I thought about it a lot. I'm a little bit like RavenSteve in that I still have some hearing in one ear. I'm stone deaf in one ear and 110 db in my "good" ear. The thing I know about being able to hear from both ears is something called "triangulation". Hearing people can hear, but triangulation allows them to know where the sound is coming from. I think cats are a good example to use to observe how tirangulation works.. If you watch a cat when they are prowling around, you see their ears turn in different directions. There hearing is Very sensitive and they turn their ears to "triangulate" and determine where tiny noises are coming from.

If I understand CI technology correctly, this "triangulation" is not something a CI can do, even if you have a CI is in both ears. I don't know for sure, but it sees to me that if you had a CI in both ears you would have to spend a lot more time adjusting the volume. Just doing it with one H.A. is enough for me. It bugs me because the level of noise changes so much, I'm always adjusting. Actually, I just don't like drawing attention to myself when I adjust the volume (I'm might be flirting with someone at the time :)

For me, my decision was based on something I think is an advantage of deaf culture. The signing deaf don't spend their lives worrying about how they compare to hearing people and feeling sad about being deaf. This was the BIG problem with me when I became deaf. I experienced tremendous sadness. I was depressed for a very long time. The thing that make me feel better was when I met deaf people who seemed to be completely unconcerned with being deaf. A couple used CI but most of them were just your garden variety deaf people. No HA, no CI, signers with family and kids and bills to pay. I watched them closely. They had many interests and social opportunities. They had a great deal of joy about their lives. It made me think, "What's my problem?" I mean, I had earned two college degrees before I became deaf, so I had a lot of good things going for me. Not having to struggle with learning to speak or to learn English. but I was scared and I didn't know how to adjust to being deaf. I decided to use deaf people as an example to me. I joined deaf social groups and I participated in charitable work to raise money for deaf social services. I took many, many classes in ASL and, maybe best of all, I read the history of the deaf and saw people like Laurent Clerc and how intelligent he was and how he was so comfortable with himself. I read about the deaf people of Paris who achieved such greatness; people like Jean Massieu and Ferdinand Berthier. They were very inspiring to me. When I look around me I realized the only people there were doctors and nurses who seemed to want to administer one test after another. I thought, "Well, what do the tests mean? Are they connected to some strategy to improve the quality of my life? I don't think they were. They were just more tests that pointed out to me that I would always be a "case" and not a person to people in the business of making their living by solving one problem of a deaf person but finding another to replace it so they could have a reason to come back to their jobs and make more money. I realized after reading about Clerc that my mental health was the more important issue. Not my hearing. I wanted to get up every day and not be concerned with being deaf but with have a good mental outlook. It just seemed to me that the longer the time I spend around doctors, the more they pointed out my "special needs" and my "problems".

So. What does one do to make a good sense of self-esteem a reality? I decided to see what I could be as a deaf man. I didn't like being called "hearing-impaired". It seemed like the same as calling a woman a "non-man". I don't feel "impaired". My mind works fine. My attitude got an adjustment. I feel like a whole person who doesn't have to rely on someone telling me "what I ought to be" in this world. I didn't want to feel dependent on a doctor or nurse for the rest of my life, submitting my body to operated on and then wondering if tomorrow someone will say, "Oh, you are too early. Something new is coming, but maybe you can't benefit from it now because you were already implanted." That's what both hearing and deaf people say about their computers. Whatever you get today is obsolete tomorrow. I've decided to skip the CI and I feel pretty glad about it. I wish you all the best of luck in your decisions on using the CI. It's an adult decision and I think we all owe it to ourselves to make the decision for our own happiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayfus said:
I'm glad to find this discussion. I was hearing until I was 30 years old. I have been deaf for 21 years and I really don't want a CI. I thought about it a lot. I'm a little bit like RavenSteve in that I still have some hearing in one ear. I'm stone deaf in one ear and 110 db in my "good" ear. The thing I know about being able to hear from both ears is something called "triangulation". Hearing people can hear, but triangulation allows them to know where the sound is coming from. I think cats are a good example to use to observe how tirangulation works.. If you watch a cat when they are prowling around, you see their ears turn in different directions. There hearing is Very sensitive and they turn their ears to "triangulate" and determine where tiny noises are coming from.

If I understand CI technology correctly, this "triangulation" is not something a CI can do, even if you have a CI is in both ears. I don't know for sure, but it sees to me that if you had a CI in both ears you would have to spend a lot more time adjusting the volume. Just doing it with one H.A. is enough for me. It bugs me because the level of noise changes so much, I'm always adjusting. Actually, I just don't like drawing attention to myself when I adjust the volume (I'm might be flirting with someone at the time :)

For me, my decision was based on something I think is an advantage of deaf culture. The signing deaf don't spend their lives worrying about how they compare to hearing people and feeling sad about being deaf. This was the BIG problem with me when I became deaf. I experienced tremendous sadness. I was depressed for a very long time. The thing that make me feel better was when I met deaf people who seemed to be completely unconcerned with being deaf. A couple used CI but most of them were just your garden variety deaf people. No HA, no CI, signers with family and kids and bills to pay. I watched them closely. They had many interests and social opportunities. They had a great deal of joy about their lives. It made me think, "What's my problem?" I mean, I had earned two college degrees before I became deaf, so I had a lot of good things going for me. Not having to struggle with learning to speak or to learn English. but I was scared and I didn't know how to adjust to being deaf. I decided to use deaf people as an example to me. I joined deaf social groups and I participated in charitable work to raise money for deaf social services. I took many, many classes in ASL and, maybe best of all, I read the history of the deaf and saw people like Laurent Clerc and how intelligent he was and how he was so comfortable with himself. I read about the deaf people of Paris who achieved such greatness; people like Jean Massieu and Ferdinand Berthier. They were very inspiring to me. When I look around me I realized the only people there were doctors and nurses who seemed to want to administer one test after another. I thought, "Well, what do the tests mean? Are they connected to some strategy to improve the quality of my life? I don't think they were. They were just more tests that pointed out to me that I would always be a "case" and not a person to people in the business of making their living by solving one problem of a deaf person but finding another to replace it so they could have a reason to come back to their jobs and make more money. I realized after reading about Clerc that my mental health was the more important issue. Not my hearing. I wanted to get up every day and not be concerned with being deaf but with have a good mental outlook. It just seemed to me that the longer the time I spend around doctors, the more they pointed out my "special needs" and my "problems".

So. What does one do to make a good sense of self-esteem a reality? I decided to see what I could be as a deaf man. I didn't like being called "hearing-impaired". It seemed like the same as calling a woman a "non-man". I don't feel "impaired". My mind works fine. My attitude got an adjustment. I feel like a whole person who doesn't have to rely on someone telling me "what I ought to be" in this world. I didn't want to feel dependent on a doctor or nurse for the rest of my life, submitting my body to operated on and then wondering if tomorrow someone will say, "Oh, you are too early. Something new is coming, but maybe you can't benefit from it now because you were already implanted." That's what both hearing and deaf people say about their computers. Whatever you get today is obsolete tomorrow. I've decided to skip the CI and I feel pretty glad about it. I wish you all the best of luck in your decisions on using the CI. It's an adult decision and I think we all owe it to ourselves to make the decision for our own happiness.
I hope Ravensteve reads this.
:gpost:

Yes, RavenSteve, it takes time to come to terms with disabilty. I emphasize with you truely. It took me seventeen years to come to terms with being hoh. Perhaps if you'd been raised in a DODA household or had been able to parcipatate in Deaf culture, you'd be dealing with this a lot easier. I can remember wanting to be hearing....and in retrospect I realize that I didn't want to be hearing...it was society that was making me want to be hearing, since society did not accept those with disabilties and it's the unspoken ideal that the hearing world's the best thing in the world, and there's no value in the deaf world. Most of us hohies have it tough....we were encouraged to act hearing and were rasied to function like faux hearing people. Learn Sign.....come to terms with yourself, and who knows? Maybe your self esteem will rise and you'll have a better quality of life when you learn to accept your disabilty.

I read it allright. I was a hearing person 1/2 of my life. Im used to hearing i loved to hear things and communicate with hearing people by talking and listening carrying conversations. I enjoy working at the movie theater and i enjoy free movies. My boss told me im welcomed anytime to watch a movie but i told him how im gonna enjoy the movie without sound effects? I can enjoy sports even im deaf and i love yelling and screaming at umpires and referees. But i need to hear to work at the movies. And i need to hear to work in sports. Thats why i need my hearing back. Now if i was born deaf i would choose deaf but the fact is i have experance in hearing i know what the sounds are therefor i want it back. I just hope a CI would do better than my hearing aid did.

ravensteve1961 said:
I read it allright. I was a hearing person 1/2 of my life. Im used to hearing i loved to hear things and communicate with hearing people by talking and listening carrying conversations. I enjoy working at the movie theater and i enjoy free movies. My boss told me im welcomed anytime to watch a movie but i told him how im gonna enjoy the movie without sound effects? I can enjoy sports even im deaf and i love yelling and screaming at umpires and referees. But i need to hear to work at the movies. And i need to hear to work in sports. Thats why i need my hearing back. Now if i was born deaf i would choose deaf but the fact is i have experance in hearing i know what the sounds are therefor i want it back. I just hope a CI would do better than my hearing aid did.

I want to preface what I'm about say by saying, that I'm hearing, so feel free to toss this to the wind. I don't know *that much* about CIs, but from what others have said in this forum, it sounds as if you'd benefit greatly from A CI since you can perceive sound and you "know" what things sound like.

Having said that, I also want to add that dealing with ANY loss is very difficult, but, you gotta give yourself a chance here. It sounds like you're throwing in the towel even before you've given yourself a chance! I KNOW it sucks to lose your hearing! I know you feel like your life is over, but it really isn't.

Just give yourself a shot here, bud. Your life isn't over. It's just different now.

Back