Misconception about deaf drivers

bonkiefry

Reaction score
My husband is hearing. When my husband’s friend learned that I am deaf she thought I should not be allowed to drive a car.
My husband explained to her that deaf drivers are statistically proven to be less of a risk on the roads than their non-disabled peers. They are physically and intellectually on a par with non-disabled drivers. Furthermore, they have learnt to make allowances for their impairment.
In fact, they are generally more visually alert and more conservative in their driving habits.

In fact, they are generally more visually alert and more conservative in their driving habits.

TRUE! based on the studies that has been done some years back -- i would have to find that study that was done unless ofc if someone else beats me to posting it LOL

I think that your husband's friend is an idiot for making such a statement. I couldn't disagree with it more. I am deaf and drive. I have been driving since I was sixteen - so a good ten years, I've been behind the wheel. I have had no trouble at all - it is very rarely that my hearing comes into play while I'm driving. There have been times where I've been honked at at a light or did not hear an oncoming siren in the distance, but these are mistakes that any hearing person can make anyway.

It all boils down to common sense, IMO. Deaf or hearing, If you're not alert, you shouldn't be driving. Period.

LOL... bf, your husband's friend is very silly. :popcorn: I would not pay her any mind. Next time, laugh at her comments if she makes any that is just as stupid. You have to understand, when people make ridiculous claims like that-- it usually has something to do WITH themselves, nothing to do with the claims nor you at all. They're trying to feel good, with their own inadequancies. Who knows? Maybe she's jealous of what a great life you have with your husband and all. Or she is having issues at home, and displacing that anger... passive-aggressiveness will do that to you. Her silly comments have NOTHING to do with you at all, bonkfry. By the way.. cute username. ;)

Liza said:
LOL... bf, your husband's friend is very silly. :popcorn: I would not pay her any mind. Next time, laugh at her comments if she makes any that is just as stupid. You have to understand, when people make ridiculous claims like that-- it usually has something to do WITH themselves, nothing to do with the claims nor you at all. They're trying to feel good, with their own inadequancies. Who knows? Maybe she's jealous of what a great life you have with your husband and all. Or she is having issues at home, and displacing that anger... passive-aggressiveness will do that to you. Her silly comments have NOTHING to do with you at all, bonkfry. By the way.. cute username. ;)

Thanks!

bonkiefry said:
My husband is hearing. When my husband’s friend learned that I am deaf she thought I should not be allowed to drive a car.

I have heard of that phrase from someone before too, In fact someone that I worked with on the roads, We all were talking about driving, and then she came up to me and say "You drive??" I said "uh huh" She says "But, Deaf people cannot hear" I said "What the differences if you cannot hear or can hear all you need is your eyes on the road". That shut her up. :roll:

bonkiefry said:
My husband explained to her that deaf drivers are statistically proven to be less of a risk on the roads than their non-disabled peers. They are physically and intellectually on a par with non-disabled drivers. Furthermore, they have learnt to make allowances for their impairment.
You got that right! :thumb:

Columnist Looks at Deaf Drivers

Bob Levey, Metro Columnist for The Washington Post, wrote on April 25, 2003
about a woman who was concerned when she saw two people in the car in front
of her carrying on an animated conversation in American Sign Language. She
said that traffic was moving slowly but the car was weaving quite a bit in
the lane.

Levey asked Kelby Brick, associate executive director of the National
Association of the Deaf's Law and Advocacy Center, to comment, and Kelby told
him that no driving guidelines or laws apply specifically to deaf peoplusing
sign language.

"Actually, deafness can be a source of safety, Kelby argued. Cell phones,
traffic and open windows don't distract deaf drivers, he noted.

"Even so, deaf drivers have been the object of shocking discrimination.
Before World War II, some states 'tried to abolish deaf people from getting
licenses,' Kelby said.

"In Maryland, an early 20th-century law required a deaf driver to be
accompanied in the front seat by a person with normal hearing. According to
'Deaf Heritage,' book by Jack R. Gannon, the reason was self-preservation.

"Stop signs and traffic lights were rare. 'In theory, at least, the driver
who honked first went first,' Gannon wrote. Hearing was thus essential.

"According to Kelby, studies show that deaf drivers have better safety
records than hearing drivers, even though deaf drivers have to divert their
hands and eyes to communicate with passengers.

"But every jurisdiction in America requires drives to pay full-time attention
to what they're doing, or else. If deaf drivers get distracted -- for
whatever reason -- they are just as liable to be ticketed. And they should
be."

- Thanks to ©2003 Northern Virginia Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons. Source: http://www.deafhh.org/BITS-2003/051703.htm

that is the most recent article i could find ref to deaf drivers

LOL, sorry i was laughing at your husband's friend.. you are not only one, alot said to my family that i shouldnt be driving when i was young.. but.. first of all, you got awesome husband in true positive about you and stand up for you.. woo!! go husband go!! lol

Yes, very true.. about deaf drivers are very alert.. I have clean records, no speeding tickets or anything bad.. just accidents which arent my fault.. Also, yes when the sirens or flashing also they just put flashing light next to stop lights.. I love it.. whatever it flashes.. I pulled over.. or look around where it will go in my way or whichever.. but its funny when i see flashing behind me.. way back.. i pulled over.. cuz it was coming so fast.. other drivers puzzled and looked at me then saw the rear mirror and start to pull over.. lol..
(Idiots) JK.. ;)

little off topic but almost relate to this topics ....

I remember few years ago when i was former live in Minn ... i knew one gal who is in late 25 years old and live with her parents . her mother is school board for hearing impaired .. one night my friend and i came over and visit her and her family. somehow the topics come up about driving .. I asked her mother why she isn't drive ??? her mother say that she can't drive cuz right eye is blind as the drive rules say must be 20/20 then i told her mother that she is totally wrong !!! i do have left eye blind and able to drive as she was drop her jaw and say YOU broke the rules ... i said whoooaaa i did go to MVD many times to change drive license as they already knew that i have left eye as i already told them and they let me then i show them my drive licensce .. she was drop her big jaw .. so i had to explain to her what is the best safety to do is to have three mirror which is left and middle and right mirror and pay attn .. if someone have right blind eye it is very difficult to see the convesation during driving speak of my logical experiences then that lady was like jump and yell at her mother as she want to drive so badly... and now her parents was scare about that .. i told them to not worry as long as she have the common sense to know what is right and wrong to do .. then i borrow my friend's car and drove away as proof they was freak out about that ... then they call me to come back so we did and the parents want to join and see how i drive doing and good enuff to help them less tension to know the truth ... as they impress and few days later she got drive permit and come over and jump on us and thanks thanks thanks thanks over and over for an hour it drive me nutttss to hear that lol but i think it is soo funny

Keep up the good statisitcs!

Let's not get caught looking down at our pagers in our laps! :whistle:

Steve

Cheri said:
I have heard of that phrase from someone before too, In fact someone that I worked with on the roads, We all were talking about driving, and then she came up to me and say "You drive??" I said "uh huh" She says "But, Deaf people cannot hear" I said "What the differences if you cannot hear or can hear all you need is your eyes on the road". That shut her up. :roll:
same concept one of my hearing friend told me that "Deaf people cannot hear therefore they can't drive"... then I make a point to tell them "So Blind people can't see but can hear so they can drive and dont need to see? hmm intesting, I'd love to see a real blind person drive" that person had a few minutes to think about and said that's so true... I'm like oh yeah!!!! :o

Steve said:
Keep up the good statisitcs!

Let's not get caught looking down at our pagers in our laps! :whistle:

Steve
I'll have to amen with you on this one but I dont put my pager on my lap while I drive... I put my pager on the steering wheel while I drive and watch the road same time ehe... BUT I absolutely refused to use pager while in rush hour, bad traffic cuz of bad experiences... A deaf person who got a used car and 2 week later, used pager in car and most of the time she look at the road then look down then up again and again and... then she looked up and slam the brake... guess what happened? fender bender! I'm sure it happened to at least one of you... :o

Back