Meeting someone new

hallmarkchick88

Reaction score
I am hearing ASL student. I do not have any deaf friends, so I usually sign with other hearing students. There is a deaf man who attends my church on occasion and yesterday I introduced myself to him. I've seen him signing with others, but when I tried to talk to him he hardly signed to me at all. He appeared to understand everything I said to him, but didn't really want to sign back to me. I was just confused because other deaf people I've met have been very excited that I'm trying to learn ASL and talking with them. Can anyone help me understand?

Easily. Not everyone is excited by the novelty of your new adventure as you are.

He probably wanted to talk to his own friends at church. In public when I am with my family I don't really want to have a long interaction with strangers.

We are having our own fun, and while you may be thrilled to tell us of your ASL prowess, you would have better luck at a deaf social.

Lot of deaf chat coffees, etc. Just look around your area or ask your teacher.

This makes sense, and I appreciate your insight. However, there are only a handful of people at my church who know ASL and no other deaf people. When I approached him he was standing alone in the lobby.

This makes sense, and I appreciate your insight. However, there are only a handful of people at my church who know ASL and no other deaf people. When I approached him he was standing alone in the lobby.

In that case, maybe he is very shy. Just try again.

You said that he appeared to understand everything you said to him, Did he respond by using his voice, or just nods?

He did not use his voice. He nodded a lot. He also had a name badge in his pocket that showed his name and place of employment that he showed me. He did use a few signs and some general gestures. I have seen him signing with others that know ASL, and I have seen him write notes with a man who does not know ASL.

He did not use his voice. He nodded a lot. He also had a name badge in his pocket that showed his name and place of employment that he showed me. He did use a few signs and some general gestures. I have seen him signing with others that know ASL, and I have seen him write notes with a man who does not know ASL.

Maybe your ASL is not as good as you would like?

No worries, I'm sure you didn't mean it come out sounding the way it did. She may not know your tendency to be a bit brusque at times. :P

You're a straight shooter, like most deaf I know lol.

Thanks, SC I will now crawl out of my hole of humiliation. :wave:

It's his personality and it is not due to his deafness. It sounds to me that he is not very people person.

In that case, start with note writing.

In that case, maybe he is very shy. Just try again.

Or perhaps he was waiting for someone, had something on his mind, was sick, or just did not feeling like socializing at that particular time. Do all hearing people express joy and interest when you start up a conversation with them, particularly when you do not know them?

Can't take the fact that this man did not show an interest in communicating with you at this particular time so personally. Deaf people are like hearing people. They don't always feel like having a conversation with a stranger.

I can identify with the man. I'm not much of a people person myself. I enjoy chatting with friends and other people I know, but I'm not much of one for "shooting the bull" with strangers or folks that I'm unlikely to ever see again, and someone coming up to me out of the blue and striking up a conversation is very off-putting.

I also have to wonder how the OP started the conversation. "Hi! I'm learning ASL!" In that case, his thoughts might very well have been, "Oh dear, I hope she isn't looking for someone to practice on. Where's the nearest exit?"

I also have to wonder how the OP started the conversation. "Hi! I'm learning ASL!" In that case, his thoughts might very well have been, "Oh dear, I hope she isn't looking for someone to practice on. Where's the nearest exit?"

:laugh2: I used to introduce myself to deaf that way when I first started learning sign. What can I say? I just didn't know any better. :dunno2:

Back