Med EL or new Nucleus 5?

Endlessrider

Reaction score
Any one did a good study on both and can tell me advantages and disadvantages that might help me decide which one i should pick for my 9 months old daughter?

Thanks.

What are the exact size, width, height etc...

Has your daughter had an assessment yet? They will show you each model, or should do.

But the width, height and size, should not be the deciding factor for your daughter's implant

i just wanted to see the differences...

Between MED EL and Nucleus 5...these are the two i am considering.
Need to meet with each company representatives of course, just doing a bit of home work to know to ask the right questions.

N5 added the water resistance, strength, size, remote control, cable, inner implant size and shape changed a bit...batteries...

Seeing as endlessrider's daughter is only 9 months old it's understandable that he/she wanted to know the size of the processor? (or is it the implant itself?)

The nucleus 5 can be "broken" down to smaller size suitable for little people, they are called baby worn. I am not sure about med-el.

The size for whole processor plus battery is 42mm high, 9mm wide, this is with standard rechargeable battery (disposable is same, using 2 batteries) compact rechargables are shorter, the rechargables aren't approved by FDA yet. With baby worn the battery are seperated from the processor and cable with boots are used. the Battery can be worn on shoulders with clip.
The internal implant is 3.9mm thin.

Choosing the CI is down to personal choice, write out the pros and cons and compare which leads you to choose one or other thinking of your daughter's lifestyle.
We cannot say that is best one, how do we know which is best most of us haven't tried the other! They all have similar results and is good as each other. My centre said they would have only used the best one if there is but there isn't, they use all 3 makes. Please speak to your audiologist/CI centre about looking at dummy devices (they are actual size).

Good luck

In our case, we had already decided on/knew who our surgeon would be, so the implant he was most experienced in (and had a preference for) also factored into the equation. With the benefit of hindsight, I'm glad we considered this: we lost little to no "residual hearing," which I attribute partly to to his surgical technique and partly to Li-Li's cochleas and scar tissue formation, much more than to the design of the electrode array itself, given the variability of outcomes I've seen. Our focus was on the internal components and the surgery, more than on the processor and the bells and whistles outside the head.

I'd also factor in reliability data provided by each manufacturer (recent -- because mfg plants, materials, designs change), size and capability of the implant (vs. external components, which will continually be improved and upgraded and easily exchanged) -- so I looked at # and range of electrodes and the strategies the different systems employed across those electrodes.

And then, you want to make certain you have access to professionals who are experienced in mapping that CI -- critical for making it work for you, so look for what audiology services are available and what expertise they have in that model.

Honestly, though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3: Cochlear, AB, or Medel -- in fact, we considered using one of each available to us (C and AB), but didn't for somewhat practical reasons.

The others are right its all what you think is best for your daughter/practical etc your CI surgeon will let you know what is best. Personally I've researched and if I get a CI I want to go with Coclear america cuz I like they're processor shape, size, etc and the programs they use and what ie read so far has appealed to me more then AB's and Med Els did

Seeing as endlessrider's daughter is only 9 months old it's understandable that he/she wanted to know the size of the processor? (or is it the implant itself?)

The nucleus 5 can be "broken" down to smaller size suitable for little people, they are called baby worn. I am not sure about med-el.

The size for whole processor plus battery is 42mm high, 9mm wide, this is with standard rechargeable battery (disposable is same, using 2 batteries) compact rechargables are shorter, the rechargables aren't approved by FDA yet. With baby worn the battery are seperated from the processor and cable with boots are used. the Battery can be worn on shoulders with clip.
The internal implant is 3.9mm thin.

Choosing the CI is down to personal choice, write out the pros and cons and compare which leads you to choose one or other thinking of your daughter's lifestyle.
We cannot say that is best one, how do we know which is best most of us haven't tried the other! They all have similar results and is good as each other. My centre said they would have only used the best one if there is but there isn't, they use all 3 makes. Please speak to your audiologist/CI centre about looking at dummy devices (they are actual size).

Good luck

Med-El do have wearing option
One is tiny top part with plastic ear hook that hold all around in back of ear and bottom part pin on shirt, all ear-level, or whole processor (its same size as ear level but not curved its straight to clip on shirt) it have longest electrodes it cover most low frequencies that nucleus and bionics don't cover, Med-El is wonderful as nucleus 5 is too nucleus 5 wearing option is top half held on ear and bottom half pin on shirt, whole processor but curved like all ear level design pin on shirt. Its very water resistant that with rechargeable battery it can be submerged in 3 feet of water for short time and put in dry store to dry it out and it work perfectly fine. With disposable battery its sweat/rain proof like previous model. Both Med-El and nucleus 5 have rechargeable AND disposable battery option, very thin and light processors, nucleus 5 have most reliable and strongest internal implant with most stimulation sites (22 electrodes) Med-El have 12 but its longer strip of electrode to stimulate more area and cover most low frequencies that other doesn't. Nucleus 5 is very upgradeable and backward compatible and popular choice. Med-El is least choice out of 3 (advanced bionics is other 1) but honestly it made huge improvement in 2009 and I think its great brand. Advanced bionics is same length as nucleus 5 electrode but with 16 electrodes, have fancier sound/speech strategies (spelling?) fastest processing speed, have most "sound window" I forgot what the technical term for that it have 80 db when other (nucleus and med-el) have less but I don't understand that part and don't think it make any real difference? No idea, ask advanced bionics users.
You can't go wrong with any of 3 brands everyone with all brands are happy so good luck!

In my opinion for your daughter to get Nucleus 5. Because it's new update. The size and height don't matter. She will have to wear body processor at baby, toddler and small child age. When she is get big and will wear a sound processor. You can research over the website about Nucleus 5 and Medel. The Nucleus 5 have custom color covers. Medel have few colors. Good luck on your choice for your daughter. :)

Any one did a good study on both and can tell me advantages and disadvantages that might help me decide which one i should pick for my 9 months old daughter?

Thanks.

It really is a personal choice but you need to take a couple of things into consideration. First where do you live, like I live in southern California and I would tell you not to go with Med El because they are barely beginning to implant Med El out here. Cochlear Americas has been FDA approved for children much longer then any other company. Also talk to your audiologist see which product they feel more comfortable with.

thanks a lot

Med-El do have wearing option
One is tiny top part with plastic ear hook that hold all around in back of ear and bottom part pin on shirt, all ear-level, or whole processor (its same size as ear level but not curved its straight to clip on shirt) it have longest electrodes it cover most low frequencies that nucleus and bionics don't cover, Med-El is wonderful as nucleus 5 is too nucleus 5 wearing option is top half held on ear and bottom half pin on shirt, whole processor but curved like all ear level design pin on shirt. Its very water resistant that with rechargeable battery it can be submerged in 3 feet of water for short time and put in dry store to dry it out and it work perfectly fine. With disposable battery its sweat/rain proof like previous model. Both Med-El and nucleus 5 have rechargeable AND disposable battery option, very thin and light processors, nucleus 5 have most reliable and strongest internal implant with most stimulation sites (22 electrodes) Med-El have 12 but its longer strip of electrode to stimulate more area and cover most low frequencies that other doesn't. Nucleus 5 is very upgradeable and backward compatible and popular choice. Med-El is least choice out of 3 (advanced bionics is other 1) but honestly it made huge improvement in 2009 and I think its great brand. Advanced bionics is same length as nucleus 5 electrode but with 16 electrodes, have fancier sound/speech strategies (spelling?) fastest processing speed, have most "sound window" I forgot what the technical term for that it have 80 db when other (nucleus and med-el) have less but I don't understand that part and don't think it make any real difference? No idea, ask advanced bionics users.
You can't go wrong with any of 3 brands everyone with all brands are happy so good luck!

I guess i need to talk to each company to learn more. In Israel Nucleus is most used so there are many advantages for that...i will probably go with the N5.

don't forget to do sign language, she'll need it sooner or later. That way you won't have to gesture and point just to make yourself clear to her. She'll won't be held back in speech since she will be implanted early. (most severe HOH like myself who wore hearing aids since a toddler needed sign language. Cochlear implant will need it too)

A side note...

Beyond reading the material on both devices, there is no easy solution to determining the best for a person. It isn't like one can "try it on and see". Worst yet even if one had one or the other, one still can't compare the two!

The only people who can tell you are the bilaterial types with each of 'em. I reckon there are none in the world with each one implanted...yet. I have heard of a couple of people (still very rare) with an AB and Cochlear or whatever the combination.

In my opinion, you should opt for the implant that is easiest for you to manage, which in this case is likely to be the Nucleus 5 system (provided you the remote with it). It will be your responsibility to ensure the implant is working properly for at least the first 8 years of your child's life so whatever you choose it has to be easier for you to use and monitor.

In my opinion, you should opt for the implant that is easiest for you to manage, which in this case is likely to be the Nucleus 5 system (provided you the remote with it). It will be your responsibility to ensure the implant is working properly for at least the first 8 years of your child's life so whatever you choose it has to be easier for you to use and monitor.

Med-El processors uses remote too

Med-El processors uses remote too

Yes, but from what I've seen, the Nucleus 5 remote is more user-friendly and the ability to see exactly what state the batteries would make it more useful for parents than the Med-EL remote in my opinion. If you have a different experience I would be interested in it though.

med-el vs cohlear N5 remotes

I have heard from various Audiological scientists at a center where they use all brands (including the french Neuralec) that the MED-EL Opus 2 remote is less bothersome than the Nucleus N5 remote because its simpler. Cochlear seem to have gone a bit over the top with their remote - its could be argued that its too complex (over-pretty graphics and resembling a mobile phone).

hello it is very difficult descsion what u deduced which implant best for your daughter so wish u all the best .
i still waiting for the operation soon and is going for med el ;)

Back