Man who faked being deaf arrested for drunken driving

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Man who faked being deaf arrested for drunken driving

The man behind the wheel of a pickup pulled over early Monday morning on suspicion of drunken driving indicated that he was deaf and requested an interpreter.

But when Officer Chris Denton used sign language to ask the driver for his license, he didn't appear to understand. So Denton asked him to read his lips and he asked again. This time the man said he didn't have a license, according to the report. Apparently, when the man was initially pulled over by another officer, the driver was provided with a piece of paper so he could communicate.

Shortly after the truck was stopped at U.S. 19 and Trouble Creek Road, Denton arrived to help with the DUI stop. At first the man said he was Richard T. O' Callaghan. Then he said he was Richard J. O' Callaghan. It turns out his name is Christopher Michael O' Callaghan.

At some point, according to his arrest affidavit, O' Callaghan, 32, started speaking and admitted he had been lying and gave officers his real name and said he wasn't deaf.

He denied drinking alcohol, even though officers said they could smell it on him, but admitted to smoking marijuana earlier. O' Callaghan, according to the affidavit, refused to perform field sobriety tests and declined to submit to a breath test.

On the way to the Land O' Lakes Jail, O' Callaghan apparently was quite chatty with Denton, saying, "You guys were persistent. I usually play the deaf card and get away with it…. I knew I was screwed once you asked me for my Social Security number.

He was booked into the jail on charges of DUI, driving while license suspended or revoked with knowledge, providing false identification to law enforcement and contempt of court, stemming from a previous arrest order. Because of the contempt charge, O' Callaghan, of 13152 Coronado Drive, Spring Hill, is being held without bail.

Lt. Steve Kostas said that Denton learned sign language on his own and that it happened to come in handy on this stop. He said he's seen people pretend they don't speak English, but this is the first he's heard of someone faking a disability.

Like this being on the news, alot of deaf people is gonna have a hard time convincing a cop they're really deaf after a cop reads this article.

Thanks alot, jerk! For making the legit deaf people look bad.

Yiz

Looks like we need to dig out our actual hearing aids (for these people ho doesn't wear them often)

Or maybe wear a blinking red hat saying...."I'm Deaf but I'm Not Drunk"....

Many friends have told me that hearies do try to pull off "I'm Deaf"...and I've wondered WHY??...Is it becuz they think the Cop will let them go?....or the Cop doesn't won't to "waste his time" by having to write down what is being said??....Another friend (hearie) said "Everybody loves deaf people"!....Hmmm??

It makes it that much harder for others who really are deaf to be taken seriously. I can't stand it when anyone makes false claims or lies to the detriment of another group.

Looks like we need to dig out our actual hearing aids (for these people ho doesn't wear them often)

Well, I'm one of them who don't wear hearing-aids.

Simple, cop could test by yell something insult that I couldn't understand.

PowerON will be arrested by a beautiful lady cop who cannot sign.... lol

LOL. Reminded me of the old Deaf joke where the cop knew sign language, when the person tried to play deaf.

And... now you see why cops handcuff everyone from behind! ;)

There are even fakers out there.

ahh, well, this officer knew how to handle and understand deaf people, no wonder this guy didn't get away this time.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Remember, drivers license will tell you that you're deaf and police will have a better chance to believe you. I have that on my Iowa drivers license.

Remember, drivers license will tell you that you're deaf and police will have a better chance to believe you. I have that on my Iowa drivers license.

What did your card appear to be describe? Mine said for TX

"RESTRICTIONS - A - With corrective lenses: S- Outside rearview mirror or hearing aid"

That's when I wear glasses and being deaf. Too bad, I don't wear hearing aid.

It says hearing impaired: Y on my license card.

Not all states have this license. Like mine. In my state, They don't even ask if you are deaf. BUT if you want a special plate to let ambulances and police know you are deaf and won't be able to hear the siren, you have to get a ENT signature to get one. But this is not a requirement if you think are capable without this special plate. I'm not sure if they still do this because I don't see it in their website anymore.

Not all states have this license. Like mine. In my state, They don't even ask if you are deaf. BUT if you want a special plate to let ambulances and police know you are deaf and won't be able to hear the siren, you have to get a ENT signature to get one. But this is not a requirement if you think are capable without this special plate. I'm not sure if they still do this because I don't see it in their website anymore.

My state , Mass. does not ask you if you're HOH or deaf. I also hate it when people bring their 'pet dogs' into a store and say saying is a hearing dog. A cop was in the street direction traffic and was yelling out to drivers when to go ahead. He came over to my car and yelled at me " Are you deaf or something" I said " No, but I am HOH !" The cop face got bright red and he walked away.

Nice try dude! Loved the fact the cop knew ASL. :lol:

Well, I'm one of them who don't wear hearing-aids.

Simple, cop could test by yell something insult that I couldn't understand.

Ugh... You need to wear a pair of cochlear implants to listen to the cops.

:lol:

Back