Man speaks after 19 years coma

RosesNY

Reaction score
OUNTAIN VIEW, Ark. (July 9) - The words began tumbling out - at first just a few nouns and eventually a torrent of phrases.

Terry Wallis, who had been in a coma since a 1984 car accident, regained consciousness last month to the surprise of doctors and the delight of his family, including his mother, who heard his first word in 19 years.

``He started out with 'Mom' and surprised her and then it was 'Pepsi' and then it was 'milk.' And now it's anything he wants to say,'' Stone County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center social director Alesha Badgley said Tuesday.

His mother, Angilee Wallis, called her son's return to consciousness a miracle: ``I couldn't tell you my first thought, I just fell over on the floor,'' she said.

Terry Wallis, now 39, was riding with a friend in July 1984 when their car left the road and plunged into a creek. Wallis and his friend were found the next day underneath a bridge. The friend was dead and Wallis was comatose.

Wallis' daughter, Amber, was born shortly before the accident, and the coma dragged on for almost two decades. She is now 19 and her dad has said he wants to walk again, for her. He is a quadriplegic as a result of the crash.

``It's been hard dealing with it, it's been hard realizing the man I married can't be there,'' said Wallis' wife, Sandi. ``We all, the whole family, missed out on his company.''

The silence ended June 12 when Wallis uttered his first word. He was able to talk a little more a day later and has improved ever since.

Terry's father, Jerry Wallis, said his son talks almost nonstop now, but it seems as though time stopped for him after the wreck. Terry still believes Ronald Reagan is the president.

Terry has asked to speak to his grandmother, who died several years ago, and even recited her phone number - something everyone else in the family had forgotten.

``You see, he's still back in 1984,'' said Jerry Wallis.

For the Wallis family, Terry's return to consciousness has been a blessing.

Perry Wallis, Terry' brother, said ``just to put it bluntly, it was pure hell to see your brother laying there, not knowing if you'll ever talk to him again.''

The timing of the recovery also has raised eyebrows.

``It's kind of peculiar. He wrecked on Friday the 13th and 19 years later he started talking on Friday the 13th,'' Jerry Wallis said.

07/09/03 07:59 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL. WOW, it really Miracle I never hear that story before

uh...fly free got that article too if you didn't know that...

yea Steel -- i saw that --

for all of u -- im going to delete that thread i had started in regards to this topic so theres only ONE thread for this topic -- no reason for 2 so stick with this thread for this topic -- thanks!

deleted my thread done! :thumb: now theres only ONE thread for this topic --

now back to topic -- i agree it IS very peculiar especially with the dates of lapsing in coma and date of waking up wow -- amazing huh q

i wish him a speedy recovery and he sure has a LONG way to go to catch up on 19 years of news :shock: and re-acquainting himself with his daughter whose big highlights in her life he has missed

His recovery amazed me. He even remembers who he is and still thinks Reagan is still president. Of course, he has to catch up 19 years of his "absent" information. I am impressed by his keen rememberance.

My family has known his family...

I didn't even know that he was in coma. Not much details to share here though.

The media hype is high around here. :/

19 years! Damn! That's a lot of technology that he has missed out! When he gets home, he's probably gonna ask for his "fast" 5 mb hard drive & 2 ghz processor computer. When his daughter shows him her 2.5 ghz processor and 80 gb hard drive computer, he's gonna faint into another coma again! Hehe!

I saw this on news last night I was soo amazing to see that He finally came out 19 years later WOW he's lucky that he has everyone supporting him and He will be needing them again after he recover more later on....

too sad to see that he was thinking as he still think he is in '84.. BUmmer but Im sure he will learn more about 2003 and future :)

Wendy

Originally posted by VamPyroX
19 years! Damn! That's a lot of technology that he has missed out! When he gets home, he's probably gonna ask for his "fast" 5 mb hard drive & 2 ghz processor computer. When his daughter shows him her 2.5 ghz processor and 80 gb hard drive computer, he's gonna faint into another coma again! Hehe!

Oh I see you did a typo...

"ask for his "fast" 5 mb hard drive & 2 ghz processor computer."

"ask for his "fast" 5 mb hard drive & 2 mhz processor computer."

Originally posted by Oddball
His recovery amazed me. He even remembers who he is and still thinks Reagan is still president. Of course, he has to catch up 19 years of his "absent" information. I am impressed by his keen rememberance.

*Nodding* amazing! All I can say is that I wish all the best of recovery from his coma and regain all what he's lost in a way. It's sad as well cos he's lost a lot of time and missed out seeing his daughter grow up. Must be quite a big shock to him to discover that he was in a coma for19 years.

Goldie

Back