Mainstream V Special School

I would put my deaf child at a deaf school because I dont want my child to suffer with not understanding what everyone is saying and gettting left out in social situations.Then I would volunteer some time with the other children and show them how to set and achieve goals. Someone needs to step up and it can take one person. I wouldnt mind doing it since I am so used to encouraging deaf children to do the best they can be. :dunno:

Maybe you have a different view than I do.

You wouldn't even look at other deaf schools? Just automatically place your child in the state school for the deaf in whatever state you are in?

Yea I suppose we do have different views. I would feel like I am putting my child's education at risk for the sake of the betterment of a whole school. One can always still volunteer at the deaf school whether their child is there or not.

I don't think she have because she went to a private school.

Har har....

You are correct that I did not have to think or worry about welfare growing up. I was fortunate. However, I think I was aware of welfare, just didn't think it would apply to me.

I am sure if my family was very poor, my life would be drastically different.

How many of those children were put in public schools first before transferring to the deaf schools after falling behind? I wouldnt be surprised if it was a high percentage of them.

Other factors to consider...did these children have full access to language during their formative years or have additional cognitive delays?

Good questions. If parents want their kids to go to a "good/elite" bilingual school, and it does not happen to one nearby, they would have to move.

Honestly, I really don't see the difference between mainstreamed and deaf school when it comes to deaf. Except the language. Just like I don't see the difference between school for the blind and mainstreamed, other than they do things in brailles. To me, when people criticize deaf schools, they are actually criticizing ASL. It's like criticizing blind school, when they are actually criticizing the method they are using -- brailles. When people won't acknowledge what deaf people need, it make it very hard from them to grow and thrive. Which is why many mainstreamed kids are already behind, and deaf school are trying to help them catch up. I'm fine with them mainstreaming, but oral-only is not the answer for them and only put them behind even in deaf school if the parents decides that mainstream/oral school isn't working out for them. They have to play catch up.

Honestly, I really don't see the difference between mainstreamed and deaf school when it comes to deaf. Except the language. Just like I don't see the difference between school for the blind and mainstreamed, other than they do things in brailles. To me, when people criticize deaf schools, they are actually criticizing ASL. It's like criticizing blind school, when they are actually criticizing the method they are using -- brailles. When people won't acknowledge what deaf people need, it make it very hard from them to grow and thrive. Which is why many mainstreamed kids are already behind, and deaf school are trying to help them catch up. I'm fine with them mainstreaming, but oral-only is not the answer for them and only put them behind even in deaf school if the parents decides that mainstream/oral school isn't working out for them. They have to play catch up.

You are right, there is no difference. Same thing as if a hearing parent sees a hearing school that sucks, they will not send the hearing child to that school.

Deaf schools aren't immune to the suckability.

(I know I made up that word...)

Just saying that to me, there is a difference between doing something about the suckability of a school and actually sending a child to a sucky school.

refusing to teach deaf kids ASL is bad for the kid and bad for the deaf school because they can't be advanced if the students don't know ASL (they have to keep things simple). Parents can teach them to be verbal all they want, but don't refuse ASL, they might need it.

refusing to teach deaf kids ASL is bad for the kid and bad for the deaf school because they can't be advanced if the students don't know ASL (they have to keep things simple). Parents can teach them to be verbal all they want, but don't refuse ASL, they might need it.

Do you know of any oral only dhh programs in the public schools today?

Most public schools don't have d/hh programs- they only have IEP and LD classes. And parents don't want to move. Do you realize that?
Every sizable town has a dhh program. Of course it isn't in every school in the district.

Yes I know a great deal about it. From the things you keep writing, I am under the impression you don't have a clue.

Every sizable town has a dhh program. Of course it isn't in every school in the district.

Yes I know a great deal about it. From the things you keep writing, I am under the impression you don't have a clue.

I don't know what you are talking about. there's probably alot more dhh today that aren't oral-only, but people still practice it, especially with CI

You wouldn't even look at other deaf schools? Just automatically place your child in the state school for the deaf in whatever state you are in?

Yea I suppose we do have different views. I would feel like I am putting my child's education at risk for the sake of the betterment of a whole school. One can always still volunteer at the deaf school whether their child is there or not.

I agree Daredevil. I wouldn't sacrifice my child's education for a political idea.

Then if I place my child at a mainstreamed program and have him/her constantly miss out on education?

Har har....

You are correct that I did not have to think or worry about welfare growing up. I was fortunate. However, I think I was aware of welfare, just didn't think it would apply to me.

I am sure if my family was very poor, my life would be drastically different.

Then you have heard of it. Just like deaf people have heard of SSI.

Do you know of any oral only dhh programs in the public schools today?

Montgomery county public schools in MD has one. Lighthouse is right...many deaf children are mainstreamed without being around other deaf kids.

Montgomery county public schools in MD has one. Lighthouse is right...many deaf children are mainstreamed without being around other deaf kids.

I was not talking about mainstream. So no. As I am sure you know, a dhh program is not mainstream, although it occurs in a public school system.

I was not talking about mainstream. So no.

I know you weren t talking about mainstreaming. You were talking about oral dhh programs in public schools, correct? If so, I was responding by saying that I dont think there are many of those because most of the time a deaf child who is straight out oral will most likely be mainstreamed full time. Otherwise, they would have a dhh program that is labeled as TC. BiBi dhh programs are rare in public schools too.

I know you weren t talking about mainstreaming. You were talking about oral dhh programs in public schools. I dont think there are many of those because most of the time a deaf child who is straight out oral will most likely be mainstreamed full time. Otherwise, they would have a dhh program that is labeled as TC. BiBi dhh programs are rare in public schools too.

Yes , that I know. What I don't think Lighthouse knows the difference is mainstream and a dhh program. That is my point.

I don't think that Shel is talking about a political idea. She is trained as a teacher, like I am. I think that she's talking about developmental issues, including emotional and social needs. Teachers and moms are concerned about developmental issues. Shel, could you please clarify?

Back