Lynda

lrhymes

Reaction score
Hello Everyone--I am new on Alldeaf---I was born deaf--nerve damage. After
several surgeries I am able to hear 60% with bi-naural aids. I am the Director for a Sign Language Praise Team called Hands to Serve. I have 24 performers and we travel to different events using ASL to go to beautiful music. I am self taught using the ASLPRO search for the music and I am so afraid of offending a sign dependant if I miss a word. THat would be the last thing I would ever want to do. Can you give me some insight. I was not allowed to learn sign as a child--(100 years ago) and I find great relief using it now because I miss so much in general conversation. I am a novice still--still learning it at 44.
I have worked for the School System in Blount County for 6 years--I love working with kids! Any input would be so helpful.
Lynda Rhymes

:wave:Helllo and welcome to AD, hope you enjoy your time here and find a few friends that can help you, not much help here but a friendly hello. Feel free to stop by and say hello anytime!:cool2:

Welcome to AllDeaf! :wave:

Don't be too afraid of offending anyone. There will ALWAYS be someone out there who takes offense. Nothing is perfect.

I've seen some deaf students who claim to be very fluent in ASL and are strongly part of Deaf Culture. Yet, each of them are different in many ways. Their definition of Deaf Culture is slightly different to very different. Some sign more ASL while others sign ASL with a bit of ESL (PSE).

ASL isn't 100% definite. ASL isn't black & white. Math is black & white. 1 + 1 = 2. Nothing else. With ASL, 1 + 1 can be... 2, 4 / 2, 5 - 3, 1 + 1, 2.0001, 1.9999, etc. So, if you sign something wrong... learn from it. That's how we all improve ourselves. :)

Hi and welcome! Your group sounds very nice.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you can learn a lot from us and enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Back