Love or hate your job?

Shel90 is right. The truth is, often employer would advertise requirement degrees, and degrees really are not required anyway.

Here is the little secret... unfortunately this is well known secret....

Find a job that NO ONE likes it, for example, flipping burgers or dishwasher, positions like that, anyone can get it. Then walk upwards and you will get there. That is what I did, I started dishwasher, then machine shop then my dad laughed at me for applying a job that requires BS degree which I didn't have one, I ended up landed that job. My dad had shut up when he find out that I was smart to grab it.

It won't happen overnight, it depends on you. For me took 6 years to climb this high.

right now my jobs are basicially freelance things... i care for kids if needed, driving around a lot and runs errands. its okay. i just need a job that is more stable like m-f thing and pays more than 10 a hr. impossible for a deaf gal with no degrees lol. im thinking of going into school for teacher of deaf children but we will see.

I love my job (just recently but I hate my boss. He sometimes yells at me when he is in a bad mood.)
My boss rarely checks on me what I am doing all day because I work there for 15 years as Admin. Assistant. (So, he trusts me!) I sometimes play UNO online via FB during my work hours if I am done with my paperwork earlier. (He knows that.)
Communication is fully accessible via email by my boss and co-workers and even, my company provide me an ASL interpreter for the meetings.
Wonderful co-workers. We joke around.
Hours are very flexible for me. I work part-time. So, it's perfect for me!!!
I love traveling for my business and pleasure.
Great pay!!!

Most of the time, I love my job teaching writing. Teaching can be an incredibly rewarding experience, especially when you see the looks on your student's faces when they are absorbed and genuinely interested in the material. I never forget when a student has the "ah hah!" moment, that moment when they suddenly realize something important about the world or their life.

Of course, there are other times when I just wish I could get the hell out of the classroom and go have some fun. I can't think of any other job I've ever had with this type of responsibility, and it can be grueling at time.

What about finding an office job doing some filing or database? I did that before I got my degrees. It is not impossible for deaf people without college degrees to find a job. It may be harder but not impossible. Just giving you some encouragement. :)

thanks but around here i seem unable to find any jobs that has to do with entry data. its quite is frustrating.

Shel90 is right. The truth is, often employer would advertise requirement degrees, and degrees really are not required anyway.

Here is the little secret... unfortunately this is well known secret....

Find a job that NO ONE likes it, for example, flipping burgers or dishwasher, positions like that, anyone can get it. Then walk upwards and you will get there. That is what I did, I started dishwasher, then machine shop then my dad laughed at me for applying a job that requires BS degree which I didn't have one, I ended up landed that job. My dad had shut up when he find out that I was smart to grab it.

It won't happen overnight, it depends on you. For me took 6 years to climb this high.

i have been doing that for about 10 years and it got me nowhere. no thanks :) i perfer to do office jobs or something till i become a teacher. just wish they would consider giving me a chance. most of time as soon as they found out im deaf they would say "eh i will call you back later" and i never will hear from them again.

I like my job but I don't love it and I don't hate it. Good pay, good benefit, good flexibility, great people I work with. For every job I have done, it brings me closer to my goal.

But I have one thing to say - I've been on this job for 15 months now. I've never been on a job for more than 1 year :-o

There are days I love my job. There are days I HATE my jobs.

Co-workers and supervisors are awesome.
The pay is satisfying to me.
It's challenging and doesn't stay the same each day. It's always different.
I always get amused whenever I come across any odd/weird/funny names.
Frequent breaks.

Hates:

Long hours
The driving distance
Mentally exhausting
Boredom whenever the computer server crashes

My actual work is just ok. No chance for advancement, no merit raises no matter how well I perform. I have about 75 overtime hours. I seldom even get a sick day. I do lots of bookkeeping, a little customer service. Only one deaf friendly coworker who is looking hard for a job elsewhere. I work holidays and weekends. I have been there for about a decade. The bosses are not deaf friendly at all.

Why? Only game in town and paid insurance. Plus, must pay bills. Sigh. Lucky to be working at all, I guess.

loves:
work
money
co-workers
families

hates:
weekend jobs
bills mail makes me suspense!!

Get paid to hike and travel in the outdoors amongst the mountains, the creeks and rivers, the wildlife (please, no cougars or bears!) eat yummy huckleberries, and enjoy the fantastic views!! Love it! Couldn't ask for a better career. Great folks and all that.

I like my job but I don't love it and I don't hate it. Good pay, good benefit, good flexibility, great people I work with. For every job I have done, it brings me closer to my goal.

But I have one thing to say - I've been on this job for 15 months now. I've never been on a job for more than 1 year :-o

Before my job, the longest I had been on a job was 3 years (at Jack in the Box and at Farmer's Insurance). Now, with this job, I am in my 8th year. :)

Cheri, you work 17 hours a day???? Holy cow!

The things we do for money *sighs*

Danggone economy!

You guys don't have a cap?

Here it's illegal to work more than 12 hours a shift...

Cheri has 2-3 jobs :(

Ah, that makes sense.

I know people that break the law by asking their boss to do a second shift... under their middle name.

Or there are jobs here like in the medical field where you work 16 or more in one shift! I worked at an emergency room and when it comes bad weather we would work until someone else could come in to give us enough time for a quick nap in the rehabilitation department room. when it came that freak snow storm and froze us all in at the hospital in 1993 I got to stay clocked in for 10 days straight! I would clock in do my 12 hours, clock out and wait one whole minute then clock back in go take a nap for about 2 hours then do the clock out then back in on the next minute.... It was noted when I took my breaks or naps or lunches or whatever but I got paid for 10 whole days straight, that was the best paycheck I've ever gotten in my whole life! I didn't work in just the emergency room that week either, since it was really bad storms and stuff whenever I got up from my nap or came back to punch my card after lunch or whatever a person would be standing at the clock to let us know what part of the hospital to go to that needed help. I got tons of experience in working in different places and got to know the staff of the entire hospital so much better! My dad and brother were both cops at the time as well, (my brother just went back to being a cop after working on the ambulance as an EMT for 3 years) so I got to see them coming in and out checking on everything at the hospital and bringing us stuff, It wasn't fun for a lot of people but at that time with the job I had and the work ethics I had as well, I was almost in heaven! There are jobs out there where the laws get blurry about how much you can work in a certain time period, nursing/medical is one of those cases. I do wish they were better on the doctors though, the ones doing the surgeries and stuff like that need to rotate more instead of 2 or 3 days at a time for 1 person, it's just wrong for the Dr. and it's scary for the patient, what if your doc falls asleep on you right in the middle of taking your temp the old fashioned way, (with a glass mercury thermometer in the rear-end)! that wouldnt be fun!

I do have two jobs, during the summer and part of fall I work with my dad, that job alone I work 15 to 17 hours a day that depends on how many days the show runs, the time they open and the time they closes. Many shows runs from 3 to 4 days, but there are some other shows that runs up to 5 to 7 days. I do get time off between shows, when we are traveling to another state to do another show.

At my other job, for the fall, winter and spring, I work 8 hours a day and I do get one day off, sometimes two. Only negative about this job is the distance, It takes me a hour to drive to work and a hour to drive home while gas prices are still substantially high.

Or there are jobs here like in the medical field where you work 16 or more in one shift! I worked at an emergency room and when it comes bad weather we would work until someone else could come in to give us enough time for a quick nap in the rehabilitation department room. when it came that freak snow storm and froze us all in at the hospital in 1993 I got to stay clocked in for 10 days straight! I would clock in do my 12 hours, clock out and wait one whole minute then clock back in go take a nap for about 2 hours then do the clock out then back in on the next minute.... It was noted when I took my breaks or naps or lunches or whatever but I got paid for 10 whole days straight, that was the best paycheck I've ever gotten in my whole life! I didn't work in just the emergency room that week either, since it was really bad storms and stuff whenever I got up from my nap or came back to punch my card after lunch or whatever a person would be standing at the clock to let us know what part of the hospital to go to that needed help. I got tons of experience in working in different places and got to know the staff of the entire hospital so much better! My dad and brother were both cops at the time as well, (my brother just went back to being a cop after working on the ambulance as an EMT for 3 years) so I got to see them coming in and out checking on everything at the hospital and bringing us stuff, It wasn't fun for a lot of people but at that time with the job I had and the work ethics I had as well, I was almost in heaven! There are jobs out there where the laws get blurry about how much you can work in a certain time period, nursing/medical is one of those cases. I do wish they were better on the doctors though, the ones doing the surgeries and stuff like that need to rotate more instead of 2 or 3 days at a time for 1 person, it's just wrong for the Dr. and it's scary for the patient, what if your doc falls asleep on you right in the middle of taking your temp the old fashioned way, (with a glass mercury thermometer in the rear-end)! that wouldnt be fun!

yes police/EMT/nurse do work 12-hrs a shift but they work 3-4 days a week, I believe.

Back