Loosing hearing 15 year old girl

Evie Yancey

Reaction score
My name is Evie, I didn't know I'd was hard of hearing until third grade, I found out through a school screening. We didn't know because I had been reading lips without realizing it for what we think was most likely a year or two. So I went to the audiologist and got tested and recieved hearing aids for both ears. It turns out, pouring water, the washing and drying machine, golf channels and rattles make noise. I also received a personal FM system that connects to my left aid, no wires, so I can hear teachers at school. For a few years I was a "Describe the Loss" but about a year ago I started to lose more hearing faster. I fought my way into an ASL class this year as a sophomore, and I'm very good at it. I am now half deaf in both ears, but instead of saying this constantly, I am officially Hard of Hearing. However with this hearing loss and stiff family, I have no contact with real deaf and other Hard of Hearing people. God I want to be involved with the Deaf Culture so badly, but because of my family, I can't meet anyone half way. I hope to make friends that can relate to me.

HI! I was 8 yo when I realize rain made a sound when it fell on my umbrella and that paper bags were really noisy . I had no idea I was HOH and no one else did either .

Welcome!!! What state are you in? One possibilty for interacting with other dhh people is that you could attend a School for the Deaf or a dhh high school program, or even attend MSSD on Gally's campus. You could argue that becoming fluent in ASL would both give you a safety net (so you could use 'terps, also if you lose all your hearing) and give you a very useful skill/abilty to be bilingal in another language. Just a thought....and then there are summer camps for dhh kids too! Is your family resistant to you learning ASL and getting involved in the community? You could tell them that becoming ASL fluent could give you an "edge" with college admissions and or the job market!

Welcome :wave:

Kudos to you for recognizing what you need and successfully fighting for it.

Adding to DeafDyke's ideas, if there is a Deaf school nearby, see if they have any community events. Perhaps if your family can attend a fun social outing, e.g. a play, picnic, etc. they may be able to see not only how rich the language is but how well you meld into that setting - especially if it brings you joy to be there. Hopefully they will warm up to allowing you to sign and be part of the Deaf community.

My name is Evie, I didn't know I'd was hard of hearing until third grade, I found out through a school screening. We didn't know because I had been reading lips without realizing it for what we think was most likely a year or two. So I went to the audiologist and got tested and recieved hearing aids for both ears. It turns out, pouring water, the washing and drying machine, golf channels and rattles make noise. I also received a personal FM system that connects to my left aid, no wires, so I can hear teachers at school. For a few years I was a "Describe the Loss" but about a year ago I started to lose more hearing faster. I fought my way into an ASL class this year as a sophomore, and I'm very good at it. I am now half deaf in both ears, but instead of saying this constantly, I am officially Hard of Hearing. However with this hearing loss and stiff family, I have no contact with real deaf and other Hard of Hearing people. God I want to be involved with the Deaf Culture so badly, but because of my family, I can't meet anyone half way. I hope to make friends that can relate to me.
There are many teen programs through AG Bell or through your state's school for the Deaf. I bet you can find some people who could be role models and/or friends.

Welcome aboard! Have you been told the reason for your hearing loss and why your loosing your hearing at a faster rate?

I'm gradually losing my hearing too. I'm 17 now and its worse than what it used to be. everything is always muffled and sometimes ill miss entire conversations because I wasn't looking that direction. no one in my life signs either. I understand what its like being that stuck alone in the middle situation. I have a skype tho and kik if youd want to sign or just talk at all:)

I'm gradually losing my hearing too. I'm 17 now and its worse than what it used to be. everything is always muffled and sometimes ill miss entire conversations because I wasn't looking that direction. no one in my life signs either. I understand what its like being that stuck alone in the middle situation. I have a skype tho and kik if youd want to sign or just talk at all:)
What state are you in? If you wanted to, you could go to a high school with a dhh program, or even a deaf school. If you're struggling I'd take the plunge with a different academic/social placement.

There are many teen programs through AG Bell or through your state's school for the Deaf. I bet you can find some people who could be role models and/or friends.
Why a TOD would reccomend a teen program through AG Bell is BEYOND me. AG Bell is VERY out of touch with what real life for deaf teens is like. They think it's still 1950, and that social life for dhh kids is something like " Let's go down and dance at Bill's before the big teen abstience rally." If a dhh kid is looking for deep sophiscated social experiences, they should take the plunge and learn ASL, and use THAT as their social outlet.

Do you know what the reason is that they are reluctant? Maybe convince your family to learn ASL with you, so they can realize that you won't stop communicating with them even when you take part in Deaf community.

As a mom and hearing, I think that would be one of my bigger concerns, Specially at your age with puberty already creating a wig between you and your parents. As a parent it's also hard to let go of your little baby.

Oh well it's just my 2 pennies.

Why a TOD would reccomend a teen program through AG Bell is BEYOND me. AG Bell is VERY out of touch with what real life for deaf teens is like. They think it's still 1950, and that social life for dhh kids is something like " Let's go down and dance at Bill's before the big teen abstience rally." If a dhh kid is looking for deep sophiscated social experiences, they should take the plunge and learn ASL, and use THAT as their social outlet.
Are you familiar with the LOFT program? Have you attended an AG Bell conference as a teen or young adult? I'm just curious where you are getting your information from. I have several adult colleagues who are deaf and that is not what they tell me.

Are you familiar with the LOFT program? Have you attended an AG Bell conference as a teen or young adult? I'm just curious where you are getting your information from. I have several adult colleagues who are deaf and that is not what they tell me.
Um have you looked past the superfical "Leave It To Beaver" facade that AG Bell pushes? Most likely not. Have you actually dug beyond the superfical " YAY these cute dhh kids can hear and talk and are in the NORMAL world" mentality? Most likely not. I know for a fact AG Bell is terrified of their facade being broken. They portray the hearing world as some glorious utopia where dhh kids can be NORMAL and automaticly fit 100% into the mainstream. There are major major issues and downsides. As a matter of fact, one of my friends was an Oral Deaf Teen, and spoke out on the downsides on a complete oral/mainstream approach. AG Bell banned her from ever even showing her face at an AG Bell event ever again. I have a friend who has been working as a psychologist with dhh kids who are oral and mainstreamed for thirty years. She says her clients today express the exact same issues of her first clients. Do your adult deaf collealleges feel like they fit in 100% into the hearing world with no accomondations? What about socially etc? Can they function fully without their HAs or CIs for extended amounts of time?

Back