Lonely

lone_grace

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Grace and I'm 15 y/o from PA. I'm new here and i joined because i'm new to the community. I'm hoh, but I don't know anyone else my age who is. My hearing is slowly getting worse, so I'm trying to pick up ASL...but it'd be a lot easier with friends who understood me.:aw:

Hi Welcome! :) Oh no ur hearing getting worse as slow. So I hope so all deaf people and hearie here too want to learn ASL and Deaf would love to teach ASL. But no matter age.

Hi ! I wonder if you could call an audi office and see if they tell you where you could met hoh kids your age. Is there other students in your school hoh ?

Welcome to alldeaf grace.
Know that you are NOT alone.
Its great your learning ASL. Sign will.....(refer to my sig)....
No rush girl. patience and you will become fluent...

We welcome you to our community, Grace. :) if ever you need to talk, just message any who make themselves available. Myself, I am here for you if you need it :)

Hi! My name is Grace and I'm 15 y/o from PA. I'm new here and i joined because i'm new to the community. I'm hoh, but I don't know anyone else my age who is. My hearing is slowly getting worse, so I'm trying to pick up ASL...but it'd be a lot easier with friends who understood me.:aw:

WELCOME!!!! Let me go and alert a young friend of mine who was in the same situation you are in now. You know.... Maybe a good introduction to learning Sign would be going to Deaf camp this summer! ... Gally even has a summer program for dhh teens to learn ASL! http://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc_cent...ources/info_to_go/resources/summer_camps.html and http://www.gallaudet.edu/summer_programs/youth_programs.html
Where in PA are you? You do have an advantage in that you've got progressive hearing loss.... If you wanted to, you could spend a semester or a year at a Deaf School working on your Sign skills (arguing that immersion into ASL is a skill you NEED if your hearing is going to get worse) That way if you lose all your hearing, you can function fully.......There are two deaf day schools in Philly if you are near Philly. PA School for the Deaf and Archbishop Ryan: http://www.psd.org/ and http://www.slds.org/
There is one residential school in PA with a high school, which is in Pittsburgh http://www.wpsd.org/ It's very good...it even has a gifted program and it offers the same curriculum that hearing schools do.
You could also attend Model Secondary School for the Deaf http://www.gallaudet.edu/mssd.html

We welcome you to our community, Grace. :) if ever you need to talk, just message any who make themselves available. Myself, I am here for you if you need it :)

She will have to post some more comments before she can send any PM .
I am not what the number is anymore . I think it's 20 ??

And if you're lonely you have come to the right place! Many of us understand what you are going through. It's very common...High school isn't great even if you're hearing or "typical" I'm not saying that exposure to Deaf culture, and attendance at a deaf school or a deaf camp is The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything..... The Deaf community does have its problems and flaws too.....But it can be a HUGE part of the puzzle especially for kids/teens who are struggling socially and emotionally and trying to discover their identity and place in this world.

And if you're lonely you have come to the right place! Many of us understand what you are going through. It's very common...High school isn't great even if you're hearing or "typical" I'm not saying that exposure to Deaf culture, and attendance at a deaf school or a deaf camp is The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything..... The Deaf community does have its problems and flaws too.....But it can be a HUGE part of the puzzle especially for kids/teens who are struggling socially and emotionally and trying to discover their identity and place in this world.

Do you remeber how many posts you needs have before you can send PM?

You'll pick up sign it really is the more you use it the better you are, I pretty much know all the basics and I can finger spell out a sentence in no time flat since I don't know a lot of signs for less introductory words. I prefer chatting with my fellow ASL students because generally when I go to Deaf Events like Bingo Night or Dinners I get shunned by more experienced ASL users because I am equivalently signing on a kindergarten level. But I get it, it's frustrating for them, but most of these events have ASL students and I generally talk to them, The bastardization of vocalization and rudimentary ASL usually means we end up having a good time. ASL programs at colleges are your best bet but if your school is one of those holdout schools in high school that still offer ASL as a foreign language chances are that is the best place to learn.

Before I became deaf I wanted to learn ASL because my mother took it for her foreign language and when I first entered High School the very same teacher was still working there teaching it, he is deaf. Unfortunately I didn't get to pick classes till sophomore year and they did away with the program apparently the hearing kids were vocalizing the answers to the finals while the teacher wasn't looking so because of this they did away with the program.

It was a 2-part final: Part 1: Demonstration and Part 2: Recognition, they were cheating on the Recognition portion it was worth more points because they wanted you to be able to understand someone using ASL and could communicate to them as basically as possible with your limited vocab.

hello...as said check out audi they have loads of info..i think this apply world over it do in uk

I wish to HELL that I could make those experts who think that the mainstream is the Best Place In the World for a dhh kid, experiance life as a mainstreamed dhh kid who struggles.
Sure there are some kids who just have the typical issues growing up......but it just seems SO beyond common for kids to be pushed into the mainstream without a thought that maybe ASL and Deaf stuff might be a good secondary tool.

Back