Little help on deciding for my future college...

deafteen

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven’t been posting for a while since now but I was visiting this site each week to see the events going on in deaf world.

I am in my junior grade now and was told that its best time to find out which college is best for me. So i have been researching several colleges (itt, arksansa tech, UoT [w/e they call it]).

Well, I sort of became tired of researching bout colleges (based on any major computer field college like computer engineer, science, programming, ect…) and my best opinion here is the college ITT. According to what I heard, it teaches good computer fields there but I don’t know about if they're good for a person with hearing loss or not. So if anyone like me been to college ITT and is good, then i might choose to go to this college. Unless if there some better recommendations for me to go to.

I was born severely deaf at least that what my audiolist (did I spell this right? lol) told me. I’m using super power two different (Analog/Digital) HA to support my understanding toward hearing people (not powerful enough :'( ) and been working hard in my school/vo-tech area to achieve my high school graduation. I live in the west side of Arkansas. I used to sign with finger until at age of 3 where I gave up signing and forcedly adapted to speak like hearing people.

Now my question here is what college that is best for me and for my future computer career? I was told that my audiolist would provide me 4 years of learning in any desired college for free. So the cost of joining college that I wouldn’t mind about.

Sorry for my language, I know my writing seems bit vague but I’ve revised this twice and don’t want to revise again. Thank you for reading this.

They have EYF at NTID for high school juniors going to become seniors. It will give you a chance to check NTID out. :thumb:

I second Vampy's suggestion of NTID! Unfortunatly most colleges aren't too good at providing accomondations for kids like us. It's better to go to a college that already has a system set up. You dont want to fall through the cracks, where they dont give you the proper accomondations, b/c they're only used to serving LD kids. And NTID is awesome for more "oral" kids if I recall correctly.

I second Vampy's suggestion of NTID! Unfortunatly most colleges aren't too good at providing accomondations for kids like us. It's better to go to a college that already has a system set up. You dont want to fall through the cracks, where they dont give you the proper accomondations, b/c they're only used to serving LD kids. And NTID is awesome for more "oral" kids if I recall correctly.

I agree with dd on this one. A hearing college can be great, but only if someone in their disability services office knows what services are necessary and how to provide them for their deaf students. The college where I work in Student Support was a mess when it came to providing services for deaf students--just didn't have a clue what they were doing. I have spent the last three years revamping the program, and we have now started to attract more deaf students because word has gotten out that it is no longer a problem to get the service they need.

No matter where you decide to go, I would recommend that you meet with the disability office at the college first, and find out how many deaf students they serve, and how services are provided. That will let you know pretty quickly if they are capable of meeting your needs.

Good luck.

Yep! That's right.

NTID/RIT already has a system set up.

I agree with dd on this one. A hearing college can be great, but only if someone in their disability services office knows what services are necessary and how to provide them for their deaf students. The college where I work in Student Support was a mess when it came to providing services for deaf students--just didn't have a clue what they were doing. I have spent the last three years revamping the program, and we have now started to attract more deaf students because word has gotten out that it is no longer a problem to get the service they need.

No matter where you decide to go, I would recommend that you meet with the disability office at the college first, and find out how many deaf students they serve, and how services are provided. That will let you know pretty quickly if they are capable of meeting your needs.

Good luck.

That is true..I went to ASU (Arizona State University) and they had a great Student Support Service program set up to meet all kinds of students' needs even deaf ones.

Yes, college like RIT, NTID, and Gallaudet have great systems set up but sometimes the cost of out of state titution can be too much for some people.

I really dont know much about your selected field of work but I agree with Jillo's suggestion.

audiolist

It is spelled audiologist.

As for "revising," deafteen, you need to know that when you get to college, you will be revising until you see steam coming out of your ears AND you have to make sense, not to mention spell correctly and use proper grammar. Professors are sticklers about this and they should be: You are the one that needs to be able to spell, use correct grammar and punctuation. There are scores of classes that you may be required to take until your writing is up to snuff.

I second EYF (went in 1999). I thought it was great. I also had a similar programme at BU that was 2 months before Orientation, to decide at the last minute if it was what I wanted. EYF was better though due to the fact that they held it before I sent the app forms in.

I think the Boston area is good for deaf people as well. BU has a top notch Disability Service Provider (they were rated the best University for the disabled). I often got the services I wanted for each class (CART was always available, CSTs were harder to get). BU is expensive but their DSP department is worth it!

Based on my friends' experiences, the following universities are so-so for disability services:

1) Brown University: Even though it's a really REALLY good university, the availability of certain services was inadequate. My sister was the only CST in the area (two students really wanted her to do their classes, one at Brown, one at Roger Williams). There were plenty of CSTs in Boston but were not willing to take the hour long commute. My friend at Brown could not get CART.

2) University of Wisconsin- Stout (Menomonie, WI). This is one of the reasons why I recommend going to a university in a big city. Menomonie is a very small city. My friend who went there begged people in my hometown to come up and CST (including my mum, who emphatically said, "No." because of the fact that it's a LONG commute). She didn't recieve CART. I think she might have depended on notetaking and using lipreading.

So I recommend going to an University in a big city due to the fact that you're more likely to get services because they have those services within reach (CART, CST/ASL). It may seem frightening but it's worth it. I would recommend looking into the DS departments (go to the Unis you are interested in and ask them about their services, how often are they available, etc).

Back