Listening And Hearing, Not The Same For Children With CI

Thanks, DS. It was my own ignorance and denial that led to disappointment. I'm over that now.

Beach girl, just putting some general info out there. That happened to me and it sucked. lol

A side note: You can measure your own distance for centering and order glasses online cheap. Bott has some great glasses she ordered online. I need progressive lenses now so I don't order as many.

Thanks, DS. It was my own ignorance and denial that led to disappointment. I'm over that now.

Beach girl, just putting some general info out there. That happened to me and it sucked. lol

A side note: You can measure your own distance for centering and order glasses online cheap. Bott has some great glasses she ordered online. I need progressive lenses now so I don't order as many.

They come out with new all the time. I love that fashion, and since only single vision, they are very, very cheap.

Happened to me once too, actually, from LensCrafters or one of those places at a mall. The left lens was very clearly off and the woman said "Oh, you just have to get used to them.

I said "I've worn glasses for 30 years and I know these are off. They need to be fixed."

She fussed but I demanded to see the opthamologist again. He looked at the lens and realized the prescription was right, but they had been cut and put in the glasses at the wrong angle. He agreed they needed to be re-made, it was taken care of, and all was well.

I know you can order on-line; I've never tried it, though. Just ordered a new pair last week from the eye doctor here in the OBX.

Related note: has anyone had good experience ordering hearing aids on-line? There are a couple places that seem to offer lower prices, but how would you figure out what you need?

Happened to me once too, actually, from LensCrafters or one of those places at a mall. The left lens was very clearly off and the woman said "Oh, you just have to get used to them.

I said "I've worn glasses for 30 years and I know these are off. They need to be fixed."

She fussed but I demanded to see the opthamologist again. He looked at the lens and realized the prescription was right, but they had been cut and put in the glasses at the wrong angle. He agreed they needed to be re-made, it was taken care of, and all was well.

I know you can order on-line; I've never tried it, though. Just ordered a new pair last week from the eye doctor here in the OBX.

Related note: has anyone had good experience ordering hearing aids on-line? There are a couple places that seem to offer lower prices, but how would you figure out what you need?
I've never ordered them online. I would imagine that I'd have my audi order one for me since she/he would know better than me what HA is best for me.

Beach girl, I would recommend getting a audiogram and having an audi make *suggestions* for HAs (type, brand, features). Then, you can shop around for HAs.

I just tried a loaner pair for the newest and greatest from Oticon. Truthfully, I couldn't tell any difference from my older pair. It's a good idea to get a loaner pair before you buy. Ask audis in your local area.

Several people have told me that they bought HAs at Costco recently. I wouldn't trust their testing. Get an audi to test then take the audiogram with you to buy HAs. No nfo on the long term reliability of Costco HAs. They are probably ok.

You're welcome. I don't like to see parents who made what they thought was the right decision for their child get bashed for and be the subject of snarky remarks like "You've been talking to the CI advocates, haven't you?" Well, I HOPE you talked to some CI advocates before doing such a thing! Wouldn't make sense to go ahead with it without knowing of the benefits that might be possible.

It sounds like so far, so good, for you and your son.

Please do a search for the posts from GrendelQ. She has a 5 year old daughter who was born deaf, was implanted as a toddler, I believe, and is doing quite well now. You might find her story interesting and hopeful as her child is a bit older than your son and now has a couple or three year's experience using her CI. (I'm not sure about exact time of implantation - a while ago, anyway.)

As you read around, you'll see other adults here, some of whom got implants as toddlers or young children, some who did it quite late in life. Most of them, far as I can tell, are anywhere from "reasonably happy" to "downright thrilled" with their CIs.

The most vocal CI antagonists are either completely hearing (like Jillio), or completely deaf and glad to be so, and don't want CIs. Why they think their opinions re: CIs should have more validity than the people who are actually using them is a mystery to me, but there it is.

Was that neccessary?

That's great to hear! Simply amazing what technology can do for deaf/hh children. But that's only half of the battle. Parents are key in this battle on speech and hearing development.

And ASL development.

It took me a long time to learn sign and I have so much more to learn but my sons favorite sign is elephant. so cute. Are you or your immediate family hoh or deaf? Have you ever met anyone with a CI?

I know many CI users here on AD and out of AD who are ASL users as well.

Asking anyone who feels like sharing. I love to read others stories.

I am deaf and have a deaf brother. Neither of us have CIs. I grew up orally while my brother grew up with ASL and the Deaf culture. I learned ASL at 25 years old (about 13 years ago ) and found that it made my life easier and then got involved with the Deaf community. Since then, I am bilingual and proud of it.

Not necessarily. It can be SEE and then progress steadily over to ASL. Parents decide that development when it comes to visual communication.

If you want to do it in the way that is most confusing for the child.

Not necessarily. It can be SEE and then progress steadily over to ASL. Parents decide that development when it comes to visual communication.

Not neccessarily? Are you saying that parents cant be key for ASL development? What's up?

Was that neccessary?

Yes, I think it was necessary. Can't tell the players without a scorecard. When willsmom is getting hit with snarky posts right off the bat about her decision to use CIs for her son, it's only fair that she have a little background to put those remarks in context.

Yes, I think it was necessary. Can't tell the players without a scorecard. When willsmom is getting hit with snarky posts right off the bat about her decision to use CIs for her son, it's only fair that she have a little background to put those remarks in context.

We are not anti-CI.

We are anti-audist.

Big difference. You said we were Ci antognists.

Back