Listening And Hearing, Not The Same For Children With CI

Hang in there willsmom! I'm also the mom of a wonderful little CI-borg. You are doing wonderful things for and with your child, please keep sharing your experiences, the good, the bad, the signs, the words -- whatever comes. You have the full support of many more people than you realize.

I know you might be feeling somewhat pushed around and judged because every post you made was immediately contradicted ( by someone who apparently doesn't know an analogy doesn't compare one thing to itself, but transfers meaning from one thing or concept to a different thing or concept ) and your child's achievements gleefully trumped. This forum is much bigger than all that and so many here are supportive and celebrate that we're living in a time where we can provide a full range of valid options for our children.

Your child will do wonderfully! Of course children with CIs don't listen and hear like typically hearing kids -- SURPRISE, OUR CHILDREN ARE DEAF! That title made me laugh out loud. My 5YO had what in retrospect looks like a VERY slow start when mapped against a typical hearing child, or even against a child implanted as young as is recommended (she was nearly 2!). At the time, though, I was delighted with EVERYTHING she did. I'm so glad I had no one frowning at our small achievements with comments such as 'your child knows 30 words? At that age mine knew 5X that number!' And now the little one is age-appropriately fluent in ASL AND spoken English! She's the happiest, healthiest little thing. And she never stops talking.

No, our deaf children don't hear and listen in the same way as the kid next door. It's far, far more amazing what our kids hear and how they listen, isn't it? Eh, there's not a whole lot to this piece. You'll find far more informative and highly reputable studies online at educatingdeafchildren.org .

Don't second guess yourself or feel that you are doing your son wrong or that there are many people who don't support you. Your child will have so many options, sign and spoken language, such an expanded world, far bigger than yours and mine. And learning to sign and to listen -- which we all have to actively learn if we want those abilities -- is so much fun as a family.

Asking anyone who feels like sharing. I love to read others stories.

I'm hoh. Deaf in one ear, hoh in the other. Born that way due to my mother contracting Rubella when I was in her womb.

Keep up the good work with your son and CI!

I don't think anyone in this board is trying to be difficult and start a fight. I think some of you are trying to defend me and others are trying to educate me. I appreciate both and hope nobody is offended or upset by anyone else!

Glasses correct vision. Hearing aids do not correct hearing. I had the idea that I was going to put on my HAs and I would hear again just like before. I had unrealistic expectations to say the least. lol

Glasses correct vision. Hearing aids do not correct hearing. I had the idea that I was going to put on my HAs and I would hear again just like before. I had unrealistic expectations to say the least. lol

:laugh2: I don't know if I feel my vision is 'corrected', I'm still trying to get used to wearing 'trifocals' -- the idea of reading without directing my face at the book, just dropping my eyes down, is just wacky. and then looking at the road through one place in my glasses, and the computer through another.

And I'm still cross-eyed: somehow I thought that too would magically be fixed. Hmmph.

I don't think anyone in this board is trying to be difficult and start a fight. I think some of you are trying to defend me and others are trying to educate me. I appreciate both and hope nobody is offended or upset by anyone else!

We always fight like this. Usually the late deafened don't come in. It is normally deaf/Deaf vs CI. Although we overlap. :lol:

We all get along fine in the general conversation threads.

And nobody is offended. This is just AD daily life.

:laugh2: I don't know if I feel my vision is 'corrected', I'm still trying to get used to wearing 'trifocals' -- the idea of reading without directing my face at the book, just dropping my eyes down, is just wacky. and then looking at the road through one place in my glasses, and the computer through another.

And I'm still cross-eyed: somehow I thought that too would magically be fixed. Hmmph.

My father in law had surgery for stabismus. No cool implants, but his eye do look straight ahead!

Definitely important to have realistic expectations! I wasn't quite sure what to expect either, all those years ago.

Still, at the end of the day, when I take my glasses off and when I take my HAs off, I am totally "uncorrected" in both vision and hearing. When I put them on in the a.m., I am as "corrected" as I'm going to get.

I think the only thing that really corrects vision is LASIK surgery or similar. I am way too chicken to do that.

I'm not blind, but quite near-sighted. I remember the very first time I got glasses, when I was about 8 years old. My third-grade teacher told my mom that I couldn't read the blackboard when I was seated in the back of the room.

Those new glasses - WOW! So THIS is what seeing is all about! I could see the individual leaves on trees - never knew that was possible. When there was a metal transition strip on the floor, from a carpeted area to a tiled area, WOW! It was as if it were right smack in front of me! I had to hold my mom's arm because I was afraid I would trip over this huge thing. The same huge thing that had just been a blur before, and caused me no problems.

Clearly I had needed glasses for a while. :shock:

Definitely I went through a bit of a process of learning how to see and learning how to judge distances all over again.

Hearing aids were much the same way. I was an adult, not a child, but I had to learn what various sounds were (the hum of the fridge, for instance), what sounds were normal, what sounds meant "Pay attention! Your car is making weird noises!"

Willsmom, sounds to me like you are doing just fine by your son. Please don't be scared off by others who went in a different direction. You are giving your son wonderful access that he would not have had before this technology came along. Eventually, as you said, he can make up his own mind if he wants to use it or not, but you have given him the gift of choice. Sounds like a good thing to me.

I am blind. Glasses don't fix it at all. I have some usable vision, but in the periphery of my eyes.

Near sighted and blind are very different..

Bott, that's true. I should have said myopia. Even myopia is questionable because there's nothing that can correct the connective tissue in eyes. So, glasses don't fix much.

Of course. That's why I stated it like I did. Not implying they are the same thing at all.

I was just adding to the point that the OP made when she talked about someone suddenly being able to see as compared with someone suddenly being able to hear. Some training is needed for both. A lot more for the CI-wearer, of course.

The only experience I had was going from being way near-sighted to suddenly having glasses, and things looked really, really different to me, enough so that my sense of distance and how close things were to me was very wacky for a while. Maybe a week-ish, if memory serves.

If the glasses feel wacky, the opthamologist may not have centered the glasses correctly. In that case, get the glasses checked.

It's the same thing with new hearing aids. It just sounds different and after a week or so you brain adjust to the new sound.

Asking anyone who feels like sharing. I love to read others stories.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought it was a general question to everyone. Some people will take things too personally sometimes.

Good for you. The more you hear the more you will learn about what it is to be a deaf child. I would only caution you to pay attention to that which would apply to your son...what it is to be a deaf child. It is only natural to want to hear only that which makes it seem like an easy road. As parents, we all want to believe that. But raising a child is never easy...and when as a hearing parent, you have to sort through all of the information regarding what your child is and will be experiencing, it can get confusing.

Wonderful! Glad to see an openminded parent.:wave:

Willsmom, I'm learning ASL as an adult, and it's hard! Hang in there because it gets easier. Enjoying ASL with your son is a great way to learn.

If the glasses feel wacky, the opthamologist may not have centered the glasses correctly. In that case, get the glasses checked.

Sallylou, I was talking about something that happened well over 50 years ago! It's all good now. Or as good as it's going to be, anyway. :lol:

I'm sorry you were in for a letdown.

I have a vision of 400/20 in both eyes without glasses. They don't correct 100% I see 30/20 with them.

Back