Listening And Hearing, Not The Same For Children With CI

This is an interesting point. I have heard of research that says women should play classical music on the radio in the later stages of their pregnancy, and then that music can be used to soothe the baby after it's born. Anecdotally, I've heard some mothers say that even before the babies are born, they can sense that the babies calm down listening to that music.

I wonder if moms can ever sense that they are carrying a deaf baby, if the baby in the womb does not respond to any music or loud sounds late in the pregnancy.

Actually, they do respond...to the sound vibrations carried by the amniotic fluid. But it is a kinesthetic perceptive response, not an auditory one.

So do women carrying deaf babies still feel that they calm down when listening to slow music, or speed up listening to energetic music? It's intriguing to me. My sister-in-law said she knew from her two girls' activity in the womb that one would be gentle and quiet, which she is, and the other, two years later, would be active and abrupt, which she is. The girls are both teenagers now, and their pre-natal activities were absolutely 100% predictive of their activity style as children. And even now, for that matter.

So do women carrying deaf babies still feel that they calm down when listening to slow music, or speed up listening to energetic music? It's intriguing to me. My sister-in-law said she knew from her two girls' activity in the womb that one would be gentle and quiet, which she is, and the other, two years later, would be active and abrupt, which she is. The girls are both teenagers now, and their pre-natal activities were absolutely 100% predictive of their activity style as children. And even now, for that matter.

Yeah. They feel sound as a physical sensation. The fluid is a great conductor. They respond to the physical sensation. My son was born profoundly deaf. He responded not just to music, but to loud and abrupt sounds, too.

I always have had a kinesthetic reaction to music, even though I'm hearing. I didn't know for years that not everyone did. But I think everyone could if they just concentrated on where in their body a particular sound hits.

They feel sound as a physical sensation. The fluid is a great conductor
Just like me! I have bilateral atresia (which means I have NO ear canals) Like Treacher Collins (although I do not have that) So I hear through bone conduction.

Willsmom: Have fun on this journey, and an journey it shall be! My son was implanted at 11 months old and received his 2nd implant at 4 years old. He's now 13 1/2 ( oh my how time flies by) and is doing great. We used to live in New York and recently relocated to the Midwest. I was extremely concerned that this would cause a "hiccup" in his learning and academics- but it didn't. My son is mainstreamed and has the services of a TOD for a period a day every day to pre-teach and post teach . Our family has deafness in it, so I am fluent in ASL, as is my husband. While my son does sign, his receptive skills are much better that his expressive and he does not sign every day. Only when he needs to use it and when other Deaf family members are around. I normally just "lurk" because there are many "bashers" out there, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And remember, your child will ALWAYS be deaf no matter what. The implant is not a cure, just an assistive device. So use every resource out there so he is prepared in case there is ever a failure or he decides he just doesn't want to wear it! Good luck!

Willsmom: Have fun on this journey, and an journey it shall be! My son was implanted at 11 months old and received his 2nd implant at 4 years old. He's now 13 1/2 ( oh my how time flies by) and is doing great. We used to live in New York and recently relocated to the Midwest. I was extremely concerned that this would cause a "hiccup" in his learning and academics- but it didn't. My son is mainstreamed and has the services of a TOD for a period a day every day to pre-teach and post teach . Our family has deafness in it, so I am fluent in ASL, as is my husband. While my son does sign, his receptive skills are much better that his expressive and he does not sign every day. Only when he needs to use it and when other Deaf family members are around. I normally just "lurk" because there are many "bashers" out there, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And remember, your child will ALWAYS be deaf no matter what. The implant is not a cure, just an assistive device. So use every resource out there so he is prepared in case there is ever a failure or he decides he just doesn't want to wear it! Good luck!

Wow! Good post!

doubletrouble that's awesome!!!!!! Is he doing well even socially? That can be an issue....but of course, if he is having social issues, he could go to a deaf camp or something. Your post reflects that the impact of CI on Deaf culture is that it's going to simply make Deaf culture, more hoh friendly. Like more like NTID rather then "voice off" what AG Bad thinks Gally is like.

doubletrouble that's awesome!!!!!! Is he doing well even socially? That can be an issue....but of course, if he is having social issues, he could go to a deaf camp or something. Your post reflects that the impact of CI on Deaf culture is that it's going to simply make Deaf culture, more hoh friendly. Like more like NTID rather then "voice off" what AG Bad thinks Gally is like.

Yes, he is doing well socially. Normally he is a very "picky" kid.. kinda "snobby" I guess you would call it, chooses his friends "wisely" - unlike his twin but has a "harem" of girls follow him around like a wolf pack. It's funny his English teacher wrote in his year book " I thought you were the quiet kid in the beginning of the school year, boy was I wrong!" :lol: He's very sarcastic like his Dad, and is going through typical teenage stuff- no different than his twin or his older sister. He misses his friends back in New York, but so does his other siblings , and we encourage him to talk about how he feels. (although being a teenager, this isn't an easy feat!)He's very "ordinary" nothing different about him at all. Hope this answers your questions.

Oh that's awesome!!!!! And again, I think your son is evidence that the balancing act (between the hearing and the deaf world) can be done!

Back