Lip Reading

How to improve lipreading???
Good lighting, Low or no background noise, the person speaking is talking in a normal way, the subject of the conversation is known, you know who is speaking next before they start speaking, you know what types of phrases and words the speaker is likely to use...

And the best way to lip read???
- Your interpreter is signing everything that is said. :giggle:

In my survey of the exceptional child education class, there was a chapter about effectively teaching deaf/hoh students. Each group had to present on a chapter and, unfortunately I was not in the group for deaf/hoh because I would have corrected many of the misconceptions they had. One of the major things that stuck out to me was that the group said: The student should have a sign language interpreter if absolutely necessary, but otherwise they can just read lips because interpreters are distracting to everyone else. They said "just read lips" so nonchalantly like it's an easy thing to do. I'm hearing and trying to read lips along with improving my ASL because I want to know as much as I can about how deaf people engage with the world. Lip reading is difficult and exhausting to have to do all the time and many hearing people think it's just natural for deaf people to read lips and they shouldn't need ASL. Thoughts on this?

Some people are impossible to lipread , they mumble , or talk way too fast or walk around the room and make it very difficult to see their face. I had teachers that had a habit of putting their hands in front of their face when talking and I had to tell my teacher to move their hand. A person that lost their hearing when they where older would not not needed to read lips when they where hearing . I do know how to read ASL so I had an oral interpreter
for a class in collage and the rest of the class spend the whole time watching me. I could not believe now rude and immature my classmates where. I did not have the oral interpreter in class after that. Like someone said that book has to be outdated

Actually, although sometimes you can seem a bit hasty to me, this hearing person has enjoyed watching the way you answer questions.

I have a question about lip reading, and since Lip reading is the title of this thread, i thought I'd ask it here.

I have a knack for word puzzles. It's not that I am smarter than people who don't, it's just that's something I have a knack for- especially filling in the blanks type word puzzles.

Is it possible that at least some people who are better at lip reading (the original Sue Thomas, for instance) just have a knack for filling in the blanks? It's not they lip read better, it's that they have a knack for filling in missing content?

And that would not be something where lots of training would help, any more than any amount of training could turn me into a basketball player, a knitter, or a math whiz.

that's what we all do, fill in the blanks. but again, it also depends on the person we're lipreading....so many variables. Are they wearing a beard? Sunglasses? is there distracting background noise? good lighting? are they in front of a window? are they staying still and right in front of or are they walking around? etc etc etc

There are less blanks to fill in, the more you know someone and the more they know you.

I hope you don't think the Sue Thomas show is a realistic portrayal.

that's what we all do, fill in the blanks. but again, it also depends on the person we're lipreading....so many variables. Are they wearing a beard? Sunglasses? is there distracting background noise? good lighting? are they in front of a window? are they staying still and right in front of or are they walking around? etc etc etc

There are less blanks to fill in, the more you know someone and the more they know you.

I hope you don't think the Sue Thomas show is a realistic portrayal.

Too many people thinks it is accurate. :mad:

a basketball player, a knitter, or a math whiz.

Knitting is pretty easy. All you do is take one knot through another. The needles are just holding the knots open so you can slide the next knot into the one on the needle and then you slide the old one off of the old needle while keeping the new one on the new needle. It really doesn't require training as much as it requires creativity and dedication.

I'm doing a lip-reading course at the moment. I'm told that only about 25-30% of English sounds are visible on the lips. It's really is about how skilful you are at filling in the gaps. The more you practice and learn, the better you get at filling in the gaps. While some people may have an innate talent for it, lip-reading is something you can practice and improve at.

I sent off for a video course at my local library. Unfortunately the lending library needed it back after a week because someone else wanted it. I never got to finish it. There are just so many sounds which make the same shapes though. It got so annoying at times LOL.

Back