Lip Reading

stephaniep21

Reaction score
In my survey of the exceptional child education class, there was a chapter about effectively teaching deaf/hoh students. Each group had to present on a chapter and, unfortunately I was not in the group for deaf/hoh because I would have corrected many of the misconceptions they had. One of the major things that stuck out to me was that the group said: The student should have a sign language interpreter if absolutely necessary, but otherwise they can just read lips because interpreters are distracting to everyone else. They said "just read lips" so nonchalantly like it's an easy thing to do. I'm hearing and trying to read lips along with improving my ASL because I want to know as much as I can about how deaf people engage with the world. Lip reading is difficult and exhausting to have to do all the time and many hearing people think it's just natural for deaf people to read lips and they shouldn't need ASL. Thoughts on this?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

That's bogus and a violation of the ADA.

In my survey of the exceptional child education class, there was a chapter about effectively teaching deaf/hoh students. Each group had to present on a chapter and, unfortunately I was not in the group for deaf/hoh because I would have corrected many of the misconceptions they had. One of the major things that stuck out to me was that the group said: The student should have a sign language interpreter if absolutely necessary, but otherwise they can just read lips because interpreters are distracting to everyone else. They said "just read lips" so nonchalantly like it's an easy thing to do. I'm hearing and trying to read lips along with improving my ASL because I want to know as much as I can about how deaf people engage with the world. Lip reading is difficult and exhausting to have to do all the time and many hearing people think it's just natural for deaf people to read lips and they shouldn't need ASL. Thoughts on this?

That you are a hearing student who just popped in and started asking for thoughts on deaf issues as presented in a classroom.

You aren't participating except to solicit information from deaf posters here.

That you are a hearing student who just popped in and started asking for thoughts on deaf issues as presented in a classroom.

Actually, you are very wrong. I am an education major, yes but I am also highly interested in the deaf community and language. I fell in love with ASL when I started learning it and I love feeling a deeper connection with my deaf family members and friends. What is wrong with talking about the way deafness is presented in the education field? Get to know people before you judge them.\

Edit: and I also participate in these boards all the time...your ignorance bothers me.

Be nice. :whip: You're scaring people off. People are here to learn and to be educated so let's educate them. Don't make them think we're mean people. Let's make the world a better place, one thought at a time.

How old is the book?

Like the previous poster mentioned... It's in violation of ADA. We have the right to any kind of accommodations and assuming that we can lip read since it comes "naturally." Guess what? It doesn't! I know a lot of deaf people who can't even read lips.

Pls go back and tell this group of morons that they are DEAD wrong. Coming from a profoundly deaf person who was mainstreamed and expected to be on par with my hearing peers by lipreading. It made my life a living hell.

Actually, you are very wrong. I am an education major, yes but I am also highly interested in the deaf community and language. I fell in love with ASL when I started learning it and I love feeling a deeper connection with my deaf family members and friends. What is wrong with talking about the way deafness is presented in the education field? Get to know people before you judge them.\

Edit: and I also participate in these boards all the time...your ignorance bothers me.

Sorry. It looked to me like you were a new member who has only made five posts.

Pls go back and tell this group of morons that they are DEAD wrong. Coming from a profoundly deaf person who was mainstreamed and expected to be on par with my hearing peers by lipreading. It made my life a living hell.

I agree. My cousin who is deaf reads lips but it took her over 10 years to get to the level she is at now and it is most definitely not an exact science. Depriving deaf people of ASL is depriving them of the best way for them to express themselves and to understand what's going on around them. My friend who is deaf was in this class with me and we would sign comments to each other throughout class...especially through the deaf/hoh unit. Ironically, our teacher would look at us like we had 10 heads when we used ASL (whether it was before, during or after class) even though he was teaching an exceptional children class...

Be nice. :whip: You're scaring people off. People are here to learn and to be educated so let's educate them. Don't make them think we're mean people. Let's make the world a better place, one thought at a time.

Will do, boss.

Sorry. It looked to me like you were a new member who has only made five posts.
So you are automatically assuming that I know nothing about deaf culture because I am hearing and new to this particular board? Why would I be proficient in ASL and learning to lip read if I didn't care about deaf culture?

So you are automatically assuming that I know nothing about deaf culture because I am hearing and new to this particular board? Why would I be proficient in ASL and learning to lip read if I didn't care about deaf culture?

Faddish interest among a lot of young hearing girls.

That is what I assume.

Remember you asked.

Faddish interest among a lot of young hearing girls.

That is what I assume.

Remember you asked.

Actually, I use ASL to communicate with deaf family and friends and would like to be an interpreter in addition to a certified teacher and may even want to go into deaf education someday. Luckily, I know that most deaf people aren't as rude and ignorant as you are, so I'll stick around and converse with and learn from the many other users on these boards. I'm done talking to you.

Actually, I use ASL to communicate with deaf family and friends and would like to be an interpreter in addition to a certified teacher and may even want to go into deaf education someday. Luckily, I know that most deaf people aren't as rude and ignorant as you are, so I'll stick around and converse with and learn from the many other users on these boards. I'm done talking to you.

No problem. You are probably better off that way since I usually answer questions if someone asks. :wave:

Thank you for your support. I know that most deaf people don't behave the way this person has I am educated about deaf culture, but I certainly don't know everything. I have a genuine interest in ASL and deaf culture and most people on these boards are very nice and I'm able to have lots of interesting conversations and learn more :)

FYI, Botti's not really rude - she's just tired of young people coming in here who think deaf is the next fad. There are a lot.

You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders and have a good heart. If you do stick around you will learn a lot; and in your life you will encounter many people who are not willing to open up to you right away - despite your best intentions.

Back