Lip Reading

FYI, Botti's not really rude - she's just tired of young people coming in here who think deaf is the next fad. There are a lot.

You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders and have a good heart. If you do stick around you will learn a lot; and in your life you will encounter many people who are not willing to open up to you right away - despite your best intentions.

So true!!!

Faddish interest among a lot of young hearing girls.

That is what I assume.

Remember you asked.

In defense of Botte, we DO have a lot of hearing young women post about wanting to learn ASL in conjunction with helping "special needs" kids. Not dhh kids....but "speshal needs" (read significently disabled) kids.

In defense of Botte, we DO have a lot of hearing young women post about wanting to learn ASL in conjunction with helping "special needs" kids. Not dhh kids....but "speshal needs" (read significently disabled) kids.

Why yes we do!

Wirelessly posted (droid)

You have to stick around a long time in the deaf community before you are accepted and earn respect. I'm not saying this to be mean. It's true. Don't take it personally. Lots of people drop in and then leave.

You have to stick around a long time in the deaf community before you are accepted and earn respect. I'm not saying this to be mean. It's true. Don't take it personally. Lots of people drop in and then leave.

Yes they do. And in real life, I have been living with it for over 50 years.

This happens. My one friend from middle/high school years, I think was primarily my friend because of my handicaps. She wanted to be a special ed teacher, and she did become a teacher of autistic students.

Regardless of why she was my friend, she was in it for the long haul and we stayed in contact until she died of cancer a couple of years ago.

People who really perservere and stay the course, can of course eventually be trusted and even friends.

Thank you. I plan to stick around. I also just moved to a bigger city where there is a deaf club so I'll be able to use ASL more often and get totally fluent :)

It wasn't mentioned above: the problem with SpeechReading is the fact not all sounds are visible on one's lips. Some are "down one's throat". Thus one must have the context on what the conversation is about to eliminate what doesn't fit. Thus the 30% level of comprehension.
This is from my prior SpeechReading classes at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto-some time ago.

Last edited:
:lol: Only the deaf people.

The hearing tend not so much!

Yes, she has only barely put a foot in the door and has almost thrown the baby out with the bath water....by refusing to glean from the wisdom of the Wizard of AllDeaf....oops.

i am glad to know that i am not alone about bott's questions.

step21, which part of ny are you in? you said big does that mean NYC? or Long island?

Interesting comments above- about the " friendly welcome" from the "deaf community". I have read about this from both Michael Chorost's Rebuilt and Beverly Bidderman's book. It was also reenforced here from the observation of a long time keyed member's private PM plus actually various comments since joining Alldeaf.com in July 2010.

Thus the apparent "difference" re "born Deaf vs latedeafened with Cochlear Implants" acceptance within "Deaf community".

I am still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006-never change!

Learning lip reading is easy, however, it never stops. Case in point is the word of the year "Occupy".......yes, it has been around forever but has taking a new meaning and everyone is using it in different ways. Second case in point, this weekend the phase "pass interference" came off different depending on who was speaking. Those who are lifelong football fans form it one way and those who just jump on the bandwagon another way.
My point would be lip reading is like learning to ride a bike but the bike has stayed the same forever and speaking is always changing, so it become lifelong learning.

Well, we didn't used to be so quick on the trigger but we are now just because"the problem" is so prolific and prevalent. However, fact remains, that to a newbie, on an individual basis, we need to give the benefit of the doubt just as we used to.....I know it is tough but that's what we gotta do, folks.

Only in the most perfect conditions can a deaf person lipread more or less effortlessly - those conditions are: the speaker is directly in front of you, not walking around or looking away, not wearing sunglasses or a heavy beard, is in good lighting, no distracting background noise and they are moving their lips clearly.

In reality, we don't have all those perfect setups for effortless lipreading so it's actually pretty labourious most of the time. Especially for those with severe to profound hearing loss.

Whomever told you all deaf people need is lipreading, not ASL, tell them us deaf people say "wrong-o!"

Lip-reading is an innate ability. Some have it, some don't.

In my survey of the exceptional child education class, there was a chapter about effectively teaching deaf/hoh students. Each group had to present on a chapter and, unfortunately I was not in the group for deaf/hoh because I would have corrected many of the misconceptions they had. One of the major things that stuck out to me was that the group said: The student should have a sign language interpreter if absolutely necessary, but otherwise they can just read lips because interpreters are distracting to everyone else. They said "just read lips" so nonchalantly like it's an easy thing to do. I'm hearing and trying to read lips along with improving my ASL because I want to know as much as I can about how deaf people engage with the world. Lip reading is difficult and exhausting to have to do all the time and many hearing people think it's just natural for deaf people to read lips and they shouldn't need ASL. Thoughts on this?

One of my closet friend got into this problem at school last year and fought to get interpreter for her even thou she reads lips very well but she still not able to catch all words the teacher was saying. she was failing in the class till she got ADA into and force this school to provide her ASL interpreter. Their words said about my friend, she can read lips and she does not need interpreter. Why would any of hearing people assume all deaf who read lips well can do it without interpreter even some deaf who is an oralist still need interpreter.

Lip-reading is an innate ability. Some have it, some don't.
Depend on a person if they speak real nice and beautifully. At my job, only one person I can read her lip very well and rest of others I can not read theirs. It gives me headache sometime.

Only in the most perfect conditions can a deaf person lipread more or less effortlessly - those conditions are: the speaker is directly in front of you, not walking around or looking away, not wearing sunglasses or a heavy beard, is in good lighting, no distracting background noise and they are moving their lips clearly.

In reality, we don't have all those perfect setups for effortless lipreading so it's actually pretty labourious most of the time. Especially for those with severe to profound hearing loss.

Whomever told you all deaf people need is lipreading, not ASL, tell them us deaf people say "wrong-o!"
Even some deaf oralist still need an interpreter (lipreading interpreter).

Don't forget, have nothing in your mouth while you are talking. I get people chewing gum, holding a cigarette or lollipop or something in their lips and expect me to read them. I just say "sorry" and move on.

Before I lost my hearing completely, I had 60/40 (left and right)...and it was declining rapidly....I wore no hearing aids at all!...So, actually, I was lip-reading well before I became totally deaf.....

There is no way possible to read lips and understand 100%...and deafies should not be asked or even required to do so in the first place!

Becoming a very fluent lip-reader wasn't easy. I suffered headaches and eye strain from all the concentration I endured. It was a daily battle to keep up...I wish it on no child/student!

I would tell all those stupid hearing teachers to wear ear plugs...and whenever anyone "talked" to them, do it "voice off", just move their lips....Let them go around all day long trying to understand what is being said!......grrrrr...this makes me so angry!

Bunch of dumb asses I've got to say!

Back