Lip reading accents...

I understand British accent soooooo much better than the American dialects. I was exposed mostly to Southern accent with the drawls and the words like yonder and ya'll. Most of my speech teachers had strong southern accents as well. My husband tells me I have a hint of a British accent when I speak...most people say there's a hint of German. Every now and then I will say something and someone will ask which part of Arkansas am I from. *gulps*

I understand British accent soooooo much better than the American dialects. I was exposed mostly to Southern accent with the drawls and the words like yonder and ya'll. Most of my speech teachers had strong southern accents as well. My husband tells me I have a hint of a British accent when I speak...most people say there's a hint of German. Every now and then I will say something and someone will ask which part of Arkansas am I from. *gulps*

My British husband had a real struggle with Southern accents when we first came back to the U.S.

I've really only had people say I sound British, whatever that means. :giggle: I had one person say Australian and one person say European. I've never left North America. Yet.

@Lady: I think Authentic's video posts made an excellent point about the problems with lip reading. Rather ambiguous as it looks like either one or something completely different. It was hilarious. See? It just seemed that she said one thing when it was different. lol

I'm a hearie. I grew up in CT, RI, NJ, CA, and FL. Now I live in SC.

When I visit CT family, they say I have a Southern accent.

When I'm in SC, people say I talk like a Yankee. :lol:

When I did my first broadcaster audition in Indianapolis, I flunked big time. They said I sounded too "Joi-zee." :giggle:

Just to make it more complicated, there is really no such thing as a "Southern" accent. Each southern region has a separate accent. The people in Dallas don't sound like the people of Atlanta, and the people Charleston don't sound like the people of W. Virgina. Southern mountain people and southern coastal people are very different from each other.

In Lowcountry of SC, we also have Gullah-Geechee speakers. That's a mix of Charleston English and African dialect. It's spoken mostly by the islanders.

Gullah/Geechee Nation Headquarters

I'm sure lipreaders would have fun with that one. :lol:

I learn it reading research lots of more information!

lip reading accents wow

In Ottawa, there are a lot of French accents. I have a hard time reading them... and my friend's dad immigrated here from Japan. Forget it. He doesn't move his mouth.

I also struggle if the person has a beard. Or is chewing gum. My gf smacks her gum, and it drives me crazy. I can't read what she's saying, and I'm just grossed out the whole time.

Some people are hard to understand through a thick accent even for the hearing. I have trouble with the old timers here in Kentucky even in good conditions when I should be able to hear them OK. Like they have a mouth full of marbles.

BTW: How are you folks speech-reading the still photos of movie stars?

In Ottawa, there are a lot of French accents. I have a hard time reading them... and my friend's dad immigrated here from Japan. Forget it. He doesn't move his mouth.

I also struggle if the person has a beard. Or is chewing gum. My gf smacks her gum, and it drives me crazy. I can't read what she's saying, and I'm just grossed out the whole time.

That is really!! tough on lip reading sometimes expert lip reading

Some people are hard to understand through a thick accent even for the hearing. I have trouble with the old timers here in Kentucky even in good conditions when I should be able to hear them OK. Like they have a mouth full of marbles.

I am very complication understand on lip reading on hard to! sometimes lip reading!

Is movies. Not still.

Since I tried read lip reading it alot harder than you think.

But I notice any old overweight muscle guy's accent are deep and SHARP. You could understand easily. He would say in deep tone HEY Dan How Are You. It wasn't like hearing people conversation it more like little louder. I could understand clearly.

But with any people they talk too fast. I had one cousin's wife who talk so FAST I can't ever see lip. It like she was on high speed talk.

I had several teachers from African, Europe, Arabic, and London.

African accent is alot HARD to understand. Interpreters and students couldn't understand.

Europe I couldn't say honest but it was lady talk too fast.

London I would say sound is DULL accent from 50 years old guy. It sound like everytime he say word with end of word will be sound like it hard to describe but it sound like DULL to me.

Arabic it sound like they babble out tongue with nasal voice. It kinda fun to see them mad shout in arabic.

Back