Lip reading accents...

I had no idea that people moved their mouths differently when speaking with an accent. You learn something new every day.

:giggle: Move their mouth very differently. Even if they speak English they annunicate in first language. Hard to explain.

For example, if Spanish first language, the person is speaking English with a Spanish accent. And, yes, very hard to understand because they speak *SO* fast.

Never knew Asians talk behind their teeth. I do have trouble lipreading them. Same as most other accents, but I seem to do the best with the Brits and Australians (other than American, that is). My SO tells me the Brits and Aussies have almost identical accents.

A friend of mine had a brother in law that was well know speech therapist and he worked with an Asian new reporter to help her learn how to speak with using her tongue to made certain sound like 'th' . I could the reporter awhile to feel comfortable having her tongue show while talking.

Oh yeah! Living in California, I meet people from all over.. and found like the post mentioned Asians who English is not their first language are difficult to lipread especially if u don't know the subject.. and Indians I find hard too. Takes several encounter to pick up the accent .. then I find out even the hearies have just as hard time too understanding em.. also I noticed in new York, one example "pak the ca" huh? Oh they said park the car.. what happend to the letter R.. and Boston they must have stole the "R" they use R in their words alot like, howr you doingr .. etc.. its interesting the accents all over globe.

Oh yeah! Living in California, I meet people from all over.. and found like the post mentioned Asians who English is not their first language are difficult to lipread especially if u don't know the subject.. and Indians I find hard too. Takes several encounter to pick up the accent .. then I find out even the hearies have just as hard time too understanding em.. also I noticed in new York, one example "pak the ca" huh? Oh they said park the car.. what happend to the letter R.. and Boston they must have stole the "R" they use R in their words alot like, howr you doingr .. etc.. its interesting the accents all over globe.

You are referring to the Brooklyn accent. My mom still has it. I am told it is a gas listening to her say "Park the car in Harvard Square." :lol:

Anyway, have you ever tried to lipread a hairbrush? Seems like beards are making a comeback. Arghh.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

My ASL teacher grew up in NJ so I have a Jersey ASL accent. Beats my southern twang. lol

You are referring to the Brooklyn accent. My mom still has it. I am told it is a gas listening to her say "Park the car in Harvard Square." :lol:

Anyway, have you ever tried to lipread a hairbrush? Seems like beards are making a comeback. Arghh.

Beards never went away in my hometown. No problem there.

I used to have a co worker with a strong boston accent' and she's say tha exactly like that.

:giggle:

I have girlfriend from New Jersey. She say, "Joy-zee." :eek3:

Well - I started learning to lipread when I was young. We would have all kinds of migrant workers come into town and the kids would go to school for a few months with us. I got used to them after a while. In Missouri, I learned to deal with the Amish and their German dialect, now here, I am learning to deal with a bunch more. The Spanish is easier than the Haitian. I haven't been in conversation with the various Asian communities here. The Jamaicans and Bahamians are very hard. So, the Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Guatemalans are the easiest here outside of English.

Sarah Gellar: "hes been here before?"

Emma Watson: "and that's, perfect"

Thats what I think the two are really saying.

:giggle: Move their mouth very differently. Even if they speak English they annunicate in first language. Hard to explain.

That's not the sort of thing most hearing people would notice, but I'll pay attention next time I hear someone with an accent!

Wirelessly posted (droid)

My ASL teacher grew up in NJ so I have a Jersey ASL accent. Beats my southern twang. lol

My speech therapist in 1st grade was from Maine so for a while, I spoke with a Maine accent instead of a Southern accent.

Never knew Asians talk behind their teeth. I do have trouble lipreading them. Same as most other accents, but I seem to do the best with the Brits and Australians (other than American, that is). My SO tells me the Brits and Aussies have almost identical accents.

Oh, man!! My British husband would seriously, SERIOUSLY, disagree with that!!

I find Aussies and Brits to be very different too, but that's because of long exposure to British accents and some exposure to the Aussies. They sound different to me.

The one person in my life that I have a very hard time understanding is my British (almost Welsh) sister-in-law. She has a very sing-songy way of talking, tends to laugh at the end of every sentence, and has that British habit of asking a question at the end of or mixed in with every statement, and it can make it hard to follow her train of thought. As in: "Well, they would, wouldn't they, so we will just have to carry on, won't we, and never mind them, right? That lot never know what's good for them, do they, so just hope for the best, right? and keep on keeping on..."

Aaggghh....

Back