Letterman regrets last week’s show, apologizes to wife on tonight’s show

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokonut

Reaction score
Audience member Tracy Frye, of Dallas, Texas told RadarOnline.com: “David apologized to his wife and his colleagues at Worldwide Pants. He said he didn’t really think through what he said on-air last week and how it would affect his co-workers.” He also apologized because he now realized that people would speculate he was involved with women on the show with whom he had no sexual relationship.
EXCLUSIVE: Letterman Apologizes To His Wife While Taping Show | RadarOnline.com

Like Sanford, Dave just can't keep his zip..,er, mouth closed. Why didn't he just apologized to her publicly last week instead of now?

Because its private and not really any of our business to see what goes on between him and his wife...knowing that he had an affair on his wife with afew women was more than enough to know.

be nice for him to be served with a divorce notice on air LOL

cuz it would be 'just desert' for him being a powerful jerk on the television industry, thinking he's get away with anything, not so!

Because its private and not really any of our business to see what goes on between him and his wife...knowing that he had an affair on his wife with afew women was more than enough to know.

if it were a private matter then he shouldn't have confessed it while on the show.

if it were a private matter then he shouldn't have confessed it while on the show.

he was "forced" to because he was being extorted. beside - nobody cares.

yeah.....he was "forced" to say those things after he had already testified to the grand jury about the extortion case. He had a choice though.

yeah.....he was "forced" to say those things after he had already testified to the grand jury about the extortion case. He had a choice though.

so if he already testified to grand jury, then why tell it in tv? Beside - you're just pissy that Letterman's not going down after this scandal. In fact - he got even more popular despite of several private matters. Let's face it - he can survive pretty much anything that your favorite GOP boy toys can't.

give it up already. find a new target :cool2: Exactly what's your agenda in here with Letterman? You don't even watch his show!!!! He's not a politician nor in any business of policy-making for public. He's a f'ing corny-ass old fart comedian, for heaven's sake.

'Sextortion' is latest issue pushing Letterman into spotlight
(CNN) -- For someone who seems to go to great lengths to keep his private life away from prying eyes, late-night talk show host David Letterman has seen a great deal of his personal life become public.

Heart problems, a troubled stalker and a plot to kidnap his son have all landed Letterman in the news and provided fodder for jokes, including some of his own.

The latest, an alleged extortion attempt involving his sexual dalliances (it's been dubbed "sextortion" by pundits), was handled very much the way Letterman fans might expect: with humor and a bit of storytelling.

"He told it as a story that you felt like you were living along with him, and so I think he immediately won your sympathy by telling it that way," said Hal Boedeker, TV critic for the Orlando Sentinel. "He also took the seedy factor out of it with restraint by not saying too much and trying to protect the people he was involved with." VideoWatch Letterman tell what happened »

Letterman revealed on his show Thursday night that he'd had sexual relations with members of his staff and that he had testified about those liaisons before a New York grand jury for a case involving the alleged attempted extortion.

A CBS producer, Robert "Joe" Halderman, has been charged with first-degree attempted grand larceny; officials said he threatened to go public with the 62-year-old funnyman's dalliances unless Letterman paid $2 million.

Halderman pleaded not guilty Friday.

The revelation, which Letterman shared with the audience of the "Late Show," seemed especially shocking given his reputation as the self-deprecating everyman.

"Letterman picked up on [that shock] and played on that," said Robert Thompson, a professor and founding director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture at Syracuse University. "It was the weirdest 10 minutes of television I've seen in a long time, and yet I think I've concluded that it was brilliant." VideoWatch "Larry King Live" guest host Jim Moret talk to panel about Letterman case »

Letterman has had plenty of experience dealing with awkward, and sometimes painful, episodes on television.

Beginning in the 1980s, he was stalked by Margaret Ray, a woman with schizophrenia who often broke into his New Canaan, Connecticut, home, wrote him letters and once stole his Porsche.

Letterman would sometimes joke about her -- without using her name -- on his show and told The New York Times that was because he joked about every public aspect of his life.

Ray would refer to herself as "Mrs. David Letterman" and once watched the talk show host and his now-wife Regina Lasko from a hallway in their home as they lay in bed.

Ray committed suicide in 1998; Letterman offered his condolences on-air to her family.

Though Letterman was quoted as saying Ray's actions were usually more odd than frightening, a plot in 2005 to kidnap his then-toddler son proved to be more alarming.

Kelly A. Frank, an ex-con who had done some work at Letterman's Deep Creek Ranch in Montana, was charged with planning to kidnap Letterman's son, Harry, and his nanny.

Frank pleaded guilty to lesser charges and was sentenced to 10 years in jail. In 2007, he escaped and was later captured.

Thompson said Letterman has shown that he is able to rise above his troubles, including emergency bypass surgery in 2000, with a healthy dose of comedy. This latest incident was no different, Thompson observed.

"The interesting thing is that he never went out of comic mode," Thompson said. "His magnum opus was when he was the first late-night comedian to come back after September 11th ... and he did it brilliantly. All of the other comics who came on in the following weeks followed him exactly."

He kept Thursday's tale so light, Thompson said, that many who may not have been aware of the news would have thought it was just another Letterman bit.

"I think he realized that we are so cynical and so disbelieving of this long string of people apologizing for stuff like this," Thompson said. "We don't believe it anymore, and we think they are only doing it for public relations. But he didn't handle it that way, and he delivered it in such a way that it came across as light-hearted and sincere."

Glenn Selig, founder of the Publicity Agency, said that from a crisis-management perspective, Letterman handled his most recent incident well.

"I think the fact that he put it out there in his own way, in his own terms with the timing that he wanted to do it, that was the best way to go," Selig said. "He tried to interject some humor and self-deprecation into it, which I think takes the wind out of those who may have tried to knock him down, because he was already knocking himself down."

And although more intimate, and embarrassing, details may be revealed as the case continues, critic Boedeker said he thinks Letterman, his show and his career will come out well.

"I think his fans are, for the most part, pretty forgiving," Boedeker said. "He's always made fun of himself and his looks. It's not as if he has set himself up as some paragon of virtue, and I really don't think this will hurt him in the long run."

A representative for Letterman's company, Worldwide Pants, said, "All the relationships David Letterman was referencing when discussing the matter on the 'Late Show' predated his marriage to Regina" in March.

so if he already testified to grand jury, then why tell it in tv? Beside - you're just pissy that Letterman's not going down after this scandal. In fact - he got even more popular despite of several private matters. Let's face it - he can survive pretty much anything that your favorite GOP boy toys can't.

give it up already. find a new target :cool2: Exactly what's your agenda in here with Letterman? You don't even watch his show!!!! He's not a politician nor in any business of policy-making for public. He's a f'ing corny-ass old fart comedian, for heaven's sake.

dont care if he continues the show or not. His old jokes bit him back and that he hurt his family and friends for doing really stupid things.

dont care if he continues the show or not. His old jokes bit him back and that he hurt his family and friends for doing really stupid things.

We all do stupid things. That's what makes us humans.

Does kokonut expect everyone to be perfect, or what? Even the Olympian gods have their flaws...

I don't know but for some reason Kokonut reminds me of someone...in a way he sounds kind of familiar. I could be wrong thou.

He fucked up..simple as that. Life goes on. I am not gonna dwell about his personal life. I got enough problems of my own like trying to get my pager reconnected, for one. :lol:

Does kokonut expect everyone to be perfect, or what? Even the Olympian gods have their flaws...

Hey, Souggy, no one is perfect. Though there is a time and place to know right from wrong.

Olympian gods? Well, that's nice when trying to compare myths versus reality. You do know they're mythical imaginations, right?

And Dave will have to deal with this, and yes, life moves on, But I can guarantee you he won't be making any jokes about other people infidility since he now tasted it with bad repercussions.

He fucked up..simple as that. Life goes on. I am not gonna dwell about his personal life. I got enough problems of my own like trying to get my pager reconnected, for one. :lol:

Yep, life's too short to keep pointing the OCPD finger at other people. That remind me, I gotta go to Rogers to get my BlackBerry...

Hey, Souggy, no one is perfect. Though there is a time and place to know right from wrong.

Olympian gods? Well, that's nice when trying to compare myths versus reality. You do know they're mythical imaginations, right?

And Dave will have to deal with this, and yes, life moves on, But I can guarantee you he won't be making any jokes about other people infidility since he now tasted it with bad repercussions.

funny... you speak of mythical imagination. Well you're having one now. Did you even read my article? The fact still remains that his show rating rose since this scandal. and the Tonight Show rating sunk.

David Letterman Extortion Scandal: Will It Hurt the 'Late Show''s Ratings?
David Letterman may be caught in another scandal (last night, he admitted to having affairs with his staffers after a man tried to extort him for $2 million), but it's clear the 'Late Show' host is doing something right.

In the past few months, Letterman has dominated the late-night ratings war, pulling well ahead of his competitor, 'The Tonight Show''s Conan O'Brien. Last week alone, Letterman averaged a whopping 5.04 million viewers, with guests that included President Barack Obama and former President Bill Clinton, and ranked first every night in the crucial 18-49 and 25-54 demos. That marks the 'Late Show''s biggest victory over 'The Tonight Show' since 1994, according to the NY Times (by comparison: O'Brien averaged just 2.4 million viewers, and earned 1.0 and 1.1 rating in the 18-49 and 25-49 demos).

Time will tell whether this latest news will have any impact on Letterman's ratings. But if his past controversies are any indication, he may come out of it unharmed, if not on top. In June, Letterman weathered an intense media feud with former Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin, which sparked after Letterman made a number of quips at Palin's wardrobe and daughter (more on that here).

Obama Leads Letterman to Ratings Win
Landing an appearance by the president seems to be a game-changer at least for one show in late-night television. On Monday night, President Obama lifted David Letterman to his most-watched “Late Show” in four years, with a total of 7.218 million viewers.

That was more than enough to propel Mr. Letterman, on CBS, past his late-night rival on NBC, Conan O’Brien, in every audience category for the first time since Mr. O’Brien became host of the “Tonight Show” in June.

It also gave Mr. Letterman a bigger audience Monday than his longtime rival Jay Leno, whose new prime-time hour on NBC hit its lowest number to date, with 5.81 million viewers. (Mr. Leno can still claim precedence in one area, however. When he was still host of “Tonight” and Mr. Obama made the first late-night appearance by any sitting president last March, Mr. Leno attracted 14.6 million viewers.)

Mr. O’Brien wound up with 2.44 million viewers, his second-lowest total to date. In all the audience categories where he has beaten Mr. Letterman every night, he trailed Monday.

Mr. Obama’s appearance also helped deliver viewers to the program that follows Mr. Letterman, “The Late Late Show,” hosted by Craig Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson attracted his biggest audience ever, with 3.24 million viewers. He beat his NBC competitor, Jimmy Fallon, by more than two million viewers, and outdrew him in every audience category. (He even topped Mr. O’Brien in viewers by almost a million.)

As for Mr. Leno, he experienced a somewhat predictable falloff now that he is facing full first-run competition from two other broadcast networks. Mr. Leno finished third at 10 p.m., well behind the CBS hit drama “C.S.I. Miami” and the far-from-hit ABC drama “Castle.” “Miami” had 14.2 million viewers and “Castle” had 9.27 million.

Mr. Leno also dropped Monday in the 18-to-49-year-old audience NBC cares most about, to a 1.8 rating. (“Miami” had a 4.3 and “Castle” a 2.3 in that category.) NBC has maintained that any number above a 1.5 will be more than enough to produce big profits because of the lower cost of Mr. Leno’s show compared with expensive scripted dramas.

Meanwhile, in the rest of prime time on Monday, a two-hour premiere of the Fox drama “House” was the big winner. “House” scored a 6.7 in the 18-to-49 group and attracted 17.1 million viewers.

The most-watched show of the night was “Dancing With the Stars” on ABC (featuring Tom DeLay doing the cha-cha), which averaged 17.79 million viewers. But that was down significantly from the opening night last season, when “Dancing” drew 21.35 million viewers.

For CBS the best story in prime time was the result for the comedy “The Big Bang Theory,” whose move to 9:30 p.m. paid off when it hit its best numbers ever. Last season the show was seen at 8 p.m. It scored the best 18-to-49 number of the night for CBS, with a 4.7, improving on the hit comedy that plays right before it, “Two and a Half Men.” In total viewers, “Big Bang” had 13 million.

that's for him to deal with. You haven't answered my question. You seem to be avoiding quite a handful of my questions.

Exactly what's your agenda in here with Letterman? You don't even watch his show!!!! He's not a politician nor in any business of policy-making for public. He's a f'ing corny-ass old fart comedian, for heaven's sake.

I think showing us that famous people do make mistakes and are not perfect is a nice dose of reality. While I don't celebrate in their mistakes and misfortune I can bring them to a level that is more human and know in spite of my mistakes as a human I will get through them one way or another, much like Letterman. It's how we learn from our mistakes and others.

There is nothing wrong with talking about headlines, isn't that what this section of the board is for?? Or did I miss the boxing ring sign somewhere? Expessing opinons is what talking is all about, personally attacking isn't talking or contributing, it's just plain old mean. How hard is it to just ignore a topic you would rather not know about or ignore a poster's topic that you obviously have a beef with? Some people actually enjoy the topics being brought up and would like to discuss them but find the threads littered with personal attacks and fighting, kinda defeats the purpose of the board. To have a different opinion is one thing but name calling and belittling the OP for his interests like I said is just plain old mean and getting quite old. Some of these topics are quite interesting to some but become stale when we see the same ol same ol fight going on, there fore making the board stale too. just my .02 not that it counts for much around here as a lurker.

If people don't want flak, then they shouldn't be injecting their personal opinions. Bring a flak jacket. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back