Letterman regrets last week’s show, apologizes to wife on tonight’s show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was responding to this:

Olympian gods? Well, that's nice when trying to compare myths versus reality. You do know they're mythical imaginations, right?

Kokonut has shown a consistent attitude against "book learning." It's the very thing that frames our conversations.

Kokonut has shown a consistent attitude against "book learning." It's the very thing that frames our conversations.
Again, this isn't about me, Sally. If you want to start a thread about "book learning," then that's fine.

But I do believe he has a Master's degree, so he must have done some "book learning" to get it.

But I do believe he has a Master's degree, so he must have done some "book learning" to get it.

True. However a few people that are followers of the hard sciences, not all though, have a tendency to think anything that is related to the Classics, History or English is rubbish and shouldn't be paid attention to, and they got MSc and PhD. Very frustrating when you're trying to work with people that think your degree is worthless because it's in the soft sciences. Media discourses (graphic design, journalism, film design and so on) get looked down the most though.

So it depends on what she define as "book-learning."

I know that in the oil industry and agriculture field "book-learning" is basically going to post-secondary or reading, however within the academic world-- it got a very different definition to it.

That's changed over the years. I went to Texas A&M University. The "A" is for agricultural and the "M" is for mechanical. A&M turns out agricultural majors and petroleum engineers. I love them! My chemistry lab partner loved to go home and round of the cows. The rednecks who work on the oil platforms get paid well but it's very grueling work (not to mention you're stuck on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico). I have friends who did this work to earn college tuition. These are all of the snobby people that I've hung out with over the years.

Souggy, I don't consider the humanities inferior as most people I know don't. We want our kids to be well rounded individuals.

Souggy, I don't consider the humanities inferior as most people I know don't. We want our kids to be well rounded individuals.

;) Yeah, I was speaking as an Albertan who grew up in an oil-town with a strong farming community. Lots of high-school dropouts unfortunately in that city.

Anyway, it's always the pricks and the elitists that you remember. Especially the ones with their heads so far up their asses. :lol:

Alberta is like the Texas of the north. I can relate. Of course, the oil bust in the 1980's changed a lot of elitist attitude's around here.

Mod note:

Thread served it's purpose, no need to discuss further and time to move on.

Thread will be locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back