let's talk car security and anti theft

Looks like all of those devices have a con somewhere.
I am in full agreement that GPS tracking is the best of all security..

But I am looking at these small details first just to check them out.
I had a thought the transmission shift lock is really good. Something similar to this. What do you think? How would a thief be able to move the car?
attachment.php

EMP-PolarisRZR-Lock.jpg

Frisky, I need protection against the cat burglars. :(
You know the tips, so share them.

Attachments

• simjack.jpg
    simjack.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
well - the thing about GPS is that it does not prevent break-in in the first place. That's why it's good idea to have one of those locking device as a visible deterrent.

I'd take the one that locks your pedal

25106_pedal_jack.jpg

However if Honda, yeah different story. Right now I like PSK in other word pawssive security key, what that means is that there is chip inside the key, and if a thief try to hot wire, it won't start because of missing transponder chip built in key.

I thought it's "ignition security key"

I like that, it reduce on way to steal my Honda Civic. Wee wee

I had a thought the transmission shift lock is really good. Something similar to this. What do you think? How would a thief be able to move the car?
attachment.php

EMP-PolarisRZR-Lock.jpg

There is con on GPS tracking that you have to pay month.

I saw some lojack plans are one time only fees. Sometimes, with new car from dealer they might have similar installed. This I know is true for FJ cruisers. Didn't have to pay anything.

attachment.php

EMP-PolarisRZR-Lock.jpg

The shift lock for manual transmission? I can take stick off under five minutes. It's useless for security.

There is con on GPS tracking that you have to pay month.

I am sure you get big discount for insurance if you use GPS track then you can use month to pay month for GPS. It is not much different.

Like insurance $70 a month without GPS, the insurance $60 a month with GPS but you pay $10 for GPS. Both are almost same but more security.

How about for auto?
How you get the lock off? Chop off shifter?

never seen anybody using that kind of lock. I agree with Highlander - utterly useless. Just stick with either steering wheel lock or pedal lock.

Show me the theif's methods. I'm curious, I want to see like thief mind for other non-vehicle related reasons.

So they need a specific kind of tool.. what kind? Drill the lock?

Show me the theif's methods. I'm curious, I want to see like thief mind for other non-vehicle related reasons.

It's all depend on model. Just simple tool like ratchet socket, snap ring plier, and screwdriver. No drill need.

Maybe we've never owned a car that anyone wanted to steal but no one in my family has ever had a car stolen, and we didn't use any extra security systems. :dunno:

We've never had a car broken into either.

The worst we had happen was a couple incidences of vandalism, which security systems wouldn't have prevented.

One of my cars did have an ignition shut off in it but when it started to go bad after several years it would cut off my car while I was driving it. That was awful! It shut down at the worst times and places. (When we found out the cause we had it removed.)

You want to know what theif mind like this?

ninja%5B1%5D-web.jpg

My father's old ford falcon sedan got stolen overnight in '94, my father found the car 5 minutes away the next morning, turns out the pipes underneath busted a hole, causing them to dump it there. Lucky enough, his old good golf clubs was in the trunk, safe and sound.

All one have to do is google to find the instructions. So it wouldn't matter if you won't tell us.

Really. I never thought of the electrical instructions in google. I hope not the young buddies see them in google, try to steal my old Nova or Alfa Romero.

Wirelessly posted

My cars alarm bas been disabled since because of malfuction and worthless cuz you just simply unplug from battery and it will shut down, lol. No one will want to steal a old clunker Honda here in Iowa anyway. Most people want to steal trucks or something else which is typical for midwest.

About 5 years ago, I picked up a RO paper to diagnose "NO START" on a 1995
Honda Accord with a 2.2L. This vehicle was towed. I observed the MIL statue and warning lights as telltale, tried to start the engine, no fire. I opened a hood
and saw a distributor with cap/ wires was gone. I know it was stolen, reported to a service writer. He came over the car, verfied the distributor and examined
the exterior/interior for damages. He notified a female customer, informed her that the distributor was stolen. I've been witness 3 distributor assys were stolen in Hondas. I feel bad for a female customer.

Back