let's talk car security and anti theft

I saw some lojack plans are one time only fees. Sometimes, with new car from dealer they might have similar installed. This I know is true for FJ cruisers. Didn't have to pay anything.

yup. one time. Nothing pay more.

About 5 years ago, I picked up a RO paper to diagnose "NO START" on a 1995
Honda Accord with a 2.2L. This vehicle was towed. I observed the MIL statue and warning lights as telltale, tried to start the engine, no fire. I opened a hood
and saw a distributor with cap/ wires was gone. I know it was stolen, reported to a service writer. He came over the car, verfied the distributor and examined
the exterior/interior for damages. He notified a female customer, informed her that the distributor was stolen. I've been witness 3 distributor assys were stolen in Hondas. I feel bad for a female customer.

It's odd to find that someone would steal a distributor cap with wires. I guess someone can't afford to replace them or something.

Wait! You said female? And the distributors and cables went missing?

I smell something, and it is not stolen, it is RETALATION! Guess they got ex boyfriend that got pissed off at breaks up or rejections, I bet these jerks would do these stuff so that woman can't figure out whats wrong. SMH

About 5 years ago, I picked up a RO paper to diagnose "NO START" on a 1995
Honda Accord with a 2.2L. This vehicle was towed. I observed the MIL statue and warning lights as telltale, tried to start the engine, no fire. I opened a hood
and saw a distributor with cap/ wires was gone. I know it was stolen, reported to a service writer. He came over the car, verfied the distributor and examined
the exterior/interior for damages. He notified a female customer, informed her that the distributor was stolen. I've been witness 3 distributor assys were stolen in Hondas. I feel bad for a female customer.

My ignition is weird. First, turn the key in the ignition on the column, then push the button on the lower part of the dashboard. Supposedly, that would at least slow down a thief.

I think having a 15-year-old no-frills Jeep is the best deterrent--it's not popular to thieves. Unless they want to listen to AM-FM talk radio it doesn't have much to tempt them. :lol:

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 8
If that jeep got 2.5L engine, then I could agree but with these that got 4.0L, it got too much power and that is what most joy riders loves. Happened to me once.

I had to admit I love Jeep 4.0L engines.

Right now, I am noticing there are quality issues with Jeep nowadays (2001 and later).

If Jeep fails to improve quality within 3 years, I may head to Ford F150 or F250 powerstroke crew cab. I sure miss pu trucks.

My ignition is weird. First, turn the key in the ignition on the column, then push the button on the lower part of the dashboard. Supposedly, that would at least slow down a thief.

I think having a 15-year-old no-frills Jeep is the best deterrent--it's not popular to thieves. Unless they want to listen to AM-FM talk radio it doesn't have much to tempt them. :lol:

If that jeep got 2.5L engine, then I could agree but with these that got 4.0L, it got too much power and that is what most joy riders loves. Happened to me once.

I had to admit I love Jeep 4.0L engines....
It has the 4.0L

Attachments

• jeeprear.jpg
    jeeprear.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 8
  • JEEP.jpg
    JEEP.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 5
Nice, is this recent picture of your Cherokee? It looks better in shape than mine. I have some stratch and dings in back. I would not mind buy another Cherokee if it is in excellent conditition.

Notice it sayd 4.0L and below that it said "High Output". That is why it has so much power.

It has the 4.0L

Nice, is this recent picture of your Cherokee? It looks better in shape than mine. I have some stratch and dings in back. I would not mind buy another Cherokee if it is in excellent conditition.

Notice it sayd 4.0L and below that it said "High Output". That is why it has so much power.
I took the picture today.

It's peppy enough for me. :)

The body and interior are in excellent shape. There was only one other owner before me, in Georgia, and no accidents on record. It is the original paint. The only thing I replaced was the headliner, and I got a perfect match on that. It does drip fluids, that worries me. Hubby checks all the fluid levels each week.

That is cool, I would fix the dripping because this jeep is in excellent condition. Much cheaper than buying another vehicle unless it gives you several kinds of problems.

Our Jeep was stolen with damages on every sides. Plus 4 accidents with two of them serious damages to sides. 3 out of 5 of damages repair cost over $4K. I thought it would give us trouble and unreliable, after years of being reliable and that baby have been there for us no matter what. I was surprised and love Cherokee. This makes me wondering why Chrysler stopped produce vehicle that is so reliable.

Right now, rust is starting to eating it up and I think our Cherokee only have 2 to 5 years left. Hopefully 5 more years.

I took the picture today.

It's peppy enough for me. :)

The body and interior are in excellent shape. There was only one other owner before me, in Georgia, and no accidents on record. It is the original paint. The only thing I replaced was the headliner, and I got a perfect match on that. It does drip fluids, that worries me. Hubby checks all the fluid levels each week.

That is cool, I would fix the dripping because this jeep is in excellent condition. Much cheaper than buying another vehicle unless it gives you several kinds of problems.
I spent several hundred dollars to fix the leaks with no success. I really don't want to spend more if I don't get results. :(

Right now, rust is starting to eating it up and I think our Cherokee only have 2 to 5 years left. Hopefully 5 more years.
Even though rust-proofing undercoats have improved, I think older cars that are exposed to northern winter roads still tend toward rusty bodies. My Jeep spent its whole life in the Southeast, so I think that helped preserve the body.

I am not sure but heard that 4.0L tend to have issues with head gasket after 100K miles. So far mine has not leak a drop (Knocking on wood).

Your right, I live in rust belt state :-(

I spent several hundred dollars to fix the leaks with no success. I really don't want to spend more if I don't get results. :(

Even though rust-proofing undercoats have improved, I think older cars that are exposed to northern winter roads still tend toward rusty bodies. My Jeep spent its whole life in the Southeast, so I think that helped preserve the body.

Say Reb, how big is the cargo area for the back of that Jeep? Looks like a Cherokee from the 90's?

Yes, the last Cherokee came off assembly line is 2001, 2002 Jeep Liberty replaced it.

The cargo, very plentiful, It is almost 4 feet wide and about 7 feet length if rear seats is down. I actually put in 4 by 8 plywood in it! The driving was not comfortable but I made it few times. The reason I said almost 4 feet wide is due to spare tire mount.

That design came from AMC, Cherokee first came out 1974. It was designed as family SUV in mind. The design which eventually changed to Cherokee from wagoneer which was first introduced in 1963. It was the first, if I think correctly SUV with Unibody design. Then it was retired in 2001, which Liberty took over with complete revamp in design which end up not looking like Cherokee nor Wagoneer. Sad!

From Wiki

The Cherokee was a redesigned reintroduction of a two door body style, with a single fixed rear side window with an optional flip-out section. Previously, a two door version had been available in the Jeep Wagoneer line (1963–67), although this had the same pillar and window configuration as the four-door Wagoneer.

Based on the Wagoneer, the Cherokee was marketed as the "sporty" two-door variant of Jeep's station wagon. The term "Sport Utility" appears for the first time in the 1974 Cherokee sales brochure.[1] A four-door was not added to the lineup until 1977. Other than the base model, the trim levels of the Cherokee included the S (Sport), Chief, Golden Eagle, Limited, Classic, Sport, Pioneer, and Laredo.

Say Reb, how big is the cargo area for the back of that Jeep? Looks like a Cherokee from the 90's?

Diehard pretty much answered it. :)

Mine is a 1995 4-door. The back seat also folds down for large cargo area.

Yeah, to give you a better idea, I had to buy a new dishwasher as my old one quit working. I know it is capacitor problem and needs replacement but there are few worn out parts inside the dishwasher to the point where it is not worth trying to fix it. You guessed it! I had to load new dishwasher inside my Cherokee with no problem! I think I could fit in two dishwashers, to give you an idea of how roomy cargo space in 4 door Jeep Cherokee. I am not sure if it is possible for two door version Cherokee.

Thanks for the infos. I was looking at SUV's and the Cherokees were one on the list. It looked like a great car, had seen some campers use them and they looked perfect for those trips.

Thanks for the infos. I was looking at SUV's and the Cherokees were one on the list. It looked like a great car, had seen some campers use them and they looked perfect for those trips.

it's only great if you know how to fix it :)

and that's the beaut about those 90's vehicles. It's not complicated. Now..... it's filled with computers and complicated, nonsensical design for simple stuff.

We've taken our Cherokee camping. :)

I think a great way to prevent theft is not to have an interesting target.

There are things one should not do, such as leave valuables in their vehicles, leave them unlocked, and so on.

It's odd to find that someone would steal a distributor cap with wires. I guess someone can't afford to replace them or something.

Precious guess. The new or reman distributor is not cheap, expensive. Some hardship people are likely to steal parts such as tires or cat converters to keep their vehicles running or transport to works. Maybe sell parts to buy drugs?

Back