Left and Right Hand Signing

longshot

Reaction score
Hello everyone:wave:

I was hoping someone could answer this question for me: I have just started learning the ASL alphabet and am right handed. However, I find it most comfortable to make the letters with my left hand. Is it true that one should sign with the hand they are most comfortable with?

Thanks!

I was hoping someone could answer this question for me: I have just started learning the ASL alphabet and am right handed. However, I find it most comfortable to make the letters with my left hand. Is it true that one should sign with the hand they are most comfortable with?

Thanks!

Yes, One should be signing with the hand they are most comfortable with. I am right handed and when I sign, I notice I use my right hand as well.

By the way, Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf

I am right handed and sign with my right hand leading... and Finger spell with right hand.

but when I deal out cards in a card game... I use my left hand.

You should use what ever hand you are most comfortable with. :)

I am right hand dominant.
However, when it came to learning fingerspell I simultaneously used both hands for practicing. Equal exercise for both hands and once signing the non-dom hand flowed as smoothly as the dom hand. :)

hi.

im left handed... but not fluent in ASL but what i do know i use my right hand.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I know I can openly ask any of my questions to this community. I want to learn sign language because I have a deaf friend, and I am also considering a career as an interpreter. I really appreciate all your help guys! Thanks again :)

I am left handed. I sign with my left. But my right hand can do anything my left can do. Sometimes such as when switching characters I will sign one with my left and the other with my right.

My little 7-year old cousin is right-handed and as I'm teaching her some ASL i notice she prefers to sign with her left instead of the right. I think the only reason she actively tries to sign with her right it's cause she sees me do it.

Is it true that one should sign with the hand they are most comfortable with?
I don't think there's a rule that says this, but it seems like common sense. However, whichever hand you choose, stick with it since switching dominance while signing is generally not proper.

Cool... that's something I didn't know yet and was also wondering about :D

Jamie

Thanks!

:wave: you can simply sign/fingerspell with your dominant hand (either left or right). I write with my right-hand but I sign/fingerspell with my left hand. Don't ask me why :dunno:

I don't think there's a rule that says this, but it seems like common sense. However, whichever hand you choose, stick with it since switching dominance while signing is generally not proper.

:wave: How lucky we have ASL students to explain things to us.

I write, play tennis and any other sports with the right hand since I am right handed, but I paint and color with my left hand :shrug: Curious, now that I think of it... :D

I also use right hand to finger spell!

Jamie

:wave: How lucky we have ASL students to explain things to us.
I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic? Notice that I did say that it is generally not proper to switch dominance and not that it is never proper. I don't know all the particulars, of course, but I do know that beginners in the language -- which includes the person who started this thread -- should not get in the habit of arbitrarily switching dominance.

If this is incorrect then please explain how.

I'm right handed so I use it primarily. However, I have noticed that my fingerspelling is alot more clear when I use my left hand. Odd...:hmm:

I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic? Notice that I did say that it is generally not proper to switch dominance and not that it is never proper. I don't know all the particulars, of course, but I do know that beginners in the language -- which includes the person who started this thread -- should not get in the habit of arbitrarily switching dominance.

If this is incorrect then please explain how.
I give you one reason here. Your teacher will surely give you more as you progress. :)

Special emphasis can be given to a sign by switching the dominant hand with which the sign is performed. For a right-handed person, the right hand is the dominant hand and the left, passive. One-handed signs are performed with only the dominant hand, and two-handed signs often involve the dominant hand performing an action while the passive hand remains relatively still. If a right-handed person uses her left hand (or vice versa), it places special emphasis on that word.

I give you one reason here. Your teacher will surely give you more as you progress. :)

Special emphasis can be given to a sign by switching the dominant hand with which the sign is performed. For a right-handed person, the right hand is the dominant hand and the left, passive. One-handed signs are performed with only the dominant hand, and two-handed signs often involve the dominant hand performing an action while the passive hand remains relatively still. If a right-handed person uses her left hand (or vice versa), it places special emphasis on that word.
Yes, that is one of the exceptions I was thinking of. I've also seen it used in storytelling to indicate which person is saying what. However, as a general rule for beginners, such as the person who started this thread, one should avoid switching dominance. In other words, don't do it unless you know why you should do it.

Yes, that is one of the exceptions I was thinking of. However, as a general rule for beginners, such as the person who started this thread, one should avoid switching dominance. In other words, don't do it unless you know why you should do it.

Yes indeed. Someone must have neglected to tell you first I am in charge of language here. ;)

Back