Latent Deaf Adjusting To New Life

Kayla Mc

Reaction score
Hi
I'm 18 yrs old and recently lost all hearing in my left ear due to illness. Its progressive so it only gets worse from here. I used to be upset but now I'm content. I realize that its as much a part of who I am as anything else. I guess I'm just looking for people to connect with that understand.

I'm a Geography major in AZ right now but will be finishing my degree at Portland State. I love hiking and horror movies. I'm fluent in ASL but the only hoh in my family. Ive only been hoh for 2 years.

:welcome: I have late deafness as well and I'm the only deafie in my family. Message me if you ever need to talk.

Last edited:
Welcome :wave:. How is your family adjusting? Are they learning sign too?

Welcome! I don't think there is video chat on this site. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, we converse about just about anything. Deaf-related or not. Just entertainment value :)

:) hello Kayla! Hoh here. How did you get interested in geography?

Hello, Kayla. If you mean "late" deafened, so am I. I was HoH for twenty years before I became totally deaf fifteen years ago.

Because you and I can speak more like hearies, it's hard for the general public to realize we can't hear. To help them understand, habitually sign ASL while I speak. It helps focus hearies to my hearing needs.

As for what we do here--I like to share challenges and benefits of not hearing. :ily:

Attachments

• welcome[1].gif
    welcome[1].gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
i thought Washington was the rainy state? technically...like georgia is the mmm----what ever fruit they have on the license plates i forget now...oranges...

as for oregon i miss it.
spent loads of fun in eugene...oh the fun...
damn
chicks out that way hit hard and play hard...
loved it!! a cutie taught hoichi the intricate and subtle ways of monkey wrenching...
to bad i wasn't paying attention............... she was smooookin!!

cough
anyway...

i thought Washington was the rainy state? technically...like georgia is the mmm----what ever fruit they have on the license plates i forget now...oranges.....
Georgia peaches

Welcome :wave:. How is your family adjusting? Are they learning sign too?

no one has learned sign yet, its weird it seems they feel like they already know me so they tend to assume how I feel r what I want. My sisters and I text more, my parents are... adjusting

no one has learned sign yet, its weird it seems they feel like they already know me so they tend to assume how I feel r what I want. My sisters and I text more, my parents are... adjusting

its process.
audism is very very deep int he bones.

if they refuse to use your language to communicate, then to help illustrate a point refuse to use theirs.

not as a long term strategy but to help them become aware of their behavior and how it effects you

indeed it helps break down the hidden barriers, that are invisible as as real as any wall. something seen as an "other" as ASL is, something strange, not like them, not for them in their eyes, perhaps even less then them, the more their eyes see it the more they get used to it, it becomes familiar, by using ASL they actually experience how useful it is to use with Deaf, how perfectly suited is..only the most stubborn bigot will refuse and still wish to scream over and over and over again to repeat themselves endlessly, or insists it has to be txt or only written.. when others simply sign passing them by..enjoying your company,

it is very important the process is from the home.

not at classes in some institution once a week. (that is important and has its place, but the better model is sign from the, and in the home, which is where the heart is..
right in the living room, the kitchen, where you chat and have discussions with them..
they will gain confidence in using sign with you and thus you can expand it.

give all your family their name signs...
have them know what their sign is..

ect.

Back