Laptop Stolen from NTID with Personal Information of Thousands of Us

Precautions Urged After Laptop Stolen (FAQ - new link)

RIT - NTID - NTID News - Precautions Urged After Laptop Stolen

Also I received a mail from RIT today and was amazed how they knew my home address even after moving several times since last I was a student there two decades ago. It has the same info as the link provided above.

Funny you mention that.

I called RIT to find out if I was on the list and unfortunately I was....

Anyway I called the credit bureaus and they were aware of what happend at RIT--I also notified the federal credit union that I am a member of.

Getting back to your comment about how they knew your home address. The woman asked if I was "----- -----" of Ocean Park, WA? I was dumbfounded and said, "yes". Then I asked her how did she knew what my home address was and what happend is that RIT hired an outside company to help track everyone down!

So...RIT has our best interest as well as their best interest in getting the word out as well as getting matter solved.

Yet I wonder what the study was about??????

Getting back to your comment about how they knew your home address. The woman asked if I was "----- -----" of Ocean Park, WA? I was dumbfounded and said, "yes". Then I asked her how did she knew what my home address was and what happend is that RIT hired an outside company to help track everyone down!

Since they have your full name, SSN, and past address, they can find these new address via credit report or via other databases such from SSA/IRS (these are not cheap for them).

This is very unpleasant news to share. I had gotten letter from Ntid today. My address is same. If you haven't updated your address with NTID, you contact them.

I had discussed with my former Ntid student about it. she said why nitd keep our ssn and birthday in database file. They should remove out students' ssn and birthdays except names and addresses when they were graduated.

I got the same letter today. I was actually surprised to get it. My name has changed and so has my address (many times!) since NTID, so couldn't believe they tracked me down (and with the correct name too.) But I was glad to get it because I know they're making an effort and I will call credit bureaus and bank tomorrow. Sigh :(

red alert!! ntid at rit lost laptop

news alert!! you may have gotten letter from rit about stolen laptop containing user data as far as 68' go to RIT - Rochester Institute of Technology and click on " ntid stolen laptop " dont forget to place fraud alert on your credit files bottom line is they got careless by not encrypting the user data

I got the same letter as well. Called one of the credit agencies to put on a fraud alert, they will call the other two for the same alert as well.

I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that the theif reformatted the hard drive to place an OS install on it. Unfortunately, if the theif is smart- they would read the news and see that article from the Rochester D&C and uncover that data.

If that data was going to be stored on a laptop that laptop should have been formatted with TrueCrypt (hard drive encryption).

More on this from RIT/NTID:
RIT - University News

The only reason why they have those names on the laptop is: "Your information was used as part of a sample pool for a control group study to improve instruction at NTID. These control group studies are meant for internal use only." How can the grads help with the instruction at NTID???

It happened with credit card companies too as well in the past. Nothing new.

My husband went to NTID in 1987 and didn't graduate. It doesn't matter if you graduate or not. His name, DOB, social security were still in their computer. I think part of it for some reasons, some jobs do want to check your high school or college backgrounds to see if you got a degree, or did went there. Many jobs woouldn't hire you if you do not have high school diploma or any degree.

He took it hard when he got the letter yesterday like what the heck is going on? Well it can happen to anyone, anywhere, even in Church. World is not safe anymore everywhere you turn, there are always bad guys out there lurking...

So we took an early day off from work to take our matters in our hand to visit our banks. We gave them a password that they can keep on file that no one can access our information unless they know the password. Then we went home to call our credit bureaus and put on fraud alerts. So now we can sit back and relax. No one will mess with us for a long while...

Let's pray it will be resolve sooner or later...

Does this sensitive information include what was sent to the archives (outside company that provides this service)?

Does this sensitive information include what was sent to the archives (outside company that provides this service)?

That's a scary thought!

You know.....I still haven't received my letter from RIT yet. I hope they didn't mail it to my physical address because we don't get mail service.

That's a scary thought!

You know.....I still haven't received my letter from RIT yet. I hope they didn't mail it to my physical address because we don't get mail service.

Then call the toll free number provided in the RIT - Rochester Institute of Technology (click on the link I had provided in this thread)

I got the letter today. My friend (not an ADer) also got it today. :(

im one of former NTID/RIT student in 2001-03. i did my part to contact them and fraud departments are so slow. Its driving me crazy.

i brought my laptop with me in there, it always been with me all the time. Those days, people would do anything to steal and use them to pawn n money to get. Crazy?

Oh, thanks to god, I don't apply at NTID yet, I'm safe.

I too got a letter and I am not too happy about that. I already contact the credit company and I am on my way to contact my bank.

Whoever stole the laptop already use the information as I found out this morning from a friend of mine. His 3 friends already become a victim of solen iditenty.

Back