Kicking a Christian out for... being a Christian?

It was a hypothetical church/group/situation. If the "TMBCBP" group, totally under the bylaws of the church, decided to restrict membership to only practicing Baptists, would they be permitted by Alabama to carry out this?
I don't know how a state could prohibit a church group from forming its own membership requirements. The state could prohibit playing bingo for money under its gambling laws.

I don't know how a state could prohibit a church group from forming its own membership requirements. The state could prohibit playing bingo for money under its gambling laws.
Yes, that is what I was trying to point out. Fraternities are not under the umbrella of First Amendment protection in regards to separation of church and state. Churches are free to make their own rules in regards to memberships.

Sooooo....

Are you guys (I'm talking to the religious folk) saying that the Christian group should NOT have asked this man to resign?

I don't support the fraternity decision because they are governed by laws that require them to allow gays to join. OK?

Do I think a fraternity can ban gays? No.

Do I think a private group or church can ban gays? Yes.

Do I think it is right? I have mixed feelings. Not sure I can answer that. I don't have a personal dislike of homosexuals. That much I am certain of.

Sooooo....

Are you guys (I'm talking to the religious folk) saying that the Christian group should NOT have asked this man to resign?

I already weighed in.

Sooooo....

Normally they would pray for his damned soul. :giggle:

I think they were wrong to kick him out. that's my two cents. from what i understand, fraternities are allowed to hold religious beliefs, it's when those religious beliefs resulted in pressuring a gay student to resign that the school realized that their tolerant attitude towards religious groups required some fine-tuning on specific rules in regards to creating groups on campus.

It was a hypothetical church/group/situation. If the "TMBCBP" group, totally under the bylaws of the church, decided to restrict membership to only practicing Baptists, would they be permitted by Alabama to carry out this?

Wouldn't accepting others that don't share all their beliefs and lifestyles into the church provide them with the perfect opportunity for all that witnessing?

:)

What about conservative folk then? I'm sure we can name a few or so... ;)

The religious folks tend to be kind of quiet around here. I think we know why that is. Discussing religion here is like talking NFL football with a kid that says "Giants suck" and you have books of contrary statistics from years of research, but are not allowed to use them. :hmm:

The religious folks tend to be kind of quiet around here. I think we know why that is. Discussing religion here is like talking NFL football with a kid that says "Giants suck" and you have books of contrary statistics from years of research, but are not allowed to use them. :hmm:

That's not true at all, and you know it.

Wouldn't accepting others that don't share all their beliefs and lifestyles into the church provide them with the perfect opportunity for all that witnessing?

Perhaps. But realize that there are many different churches, with many different methods of providing guidance. Some churches might not have the willingness to spend the time trying to change someone that they feel is not willing to change.

Would having Matajan back in AD encourage anyone to help him find a wife?

Well, I don't particularly want to argue about religion and homosexuality. I want to talk about whether they believe that a religious organization has the right to kick someone out because a part of him doesn't align with the organization's beliefs.

Perhaps. But realize that there are many different churches, with many different methods of providing guidance. Some churches might not have the willingness to spend the time trying to change someone that they feel is not willing to change.

Would having Matajan back in AD encourage anyone to help him find a wife?

Wish the Mormons felt that way about witnessing. They keep showing up at my door no matter how many times I tell them I am not interested.

The society is in a college and should be open to everyone. I thought people when to college to open their minds up not be closed minded!!

Back