Just your thoughts and opinion on things.

but we still have those frequent commercial breaks on paid cable too. :mad2:

this is true. it seems like there are 10 minutes of commercials to only 5-15 minutes of programming. it never used to be that way years ago when you'd have 5 minutes of commercials and 20 minutes of programming.

having said that, i think some networks are better about limiting the number of commercials they have than others. it seems like some networks have an endless string of commercials while others do not (such as public television).

in a way, it makes no difference to me because i prefer to read instead of watch tv.

Sure we are all guilty of making generalizations. We all slip and make mistakes. (I'll let you off the hook. <wink>) And sometimes our generalization is a result of our being exacerbated by a situation and isn't a direct reflection of how we truly feel. What surprises me is how socially acceptable it still is to make generalizations about children. Some of the things I overhear people say about children I know would be considered discriminatory if we made the same statements about any other group of people.

Ok...I think spanking is ok and the law shouldnt get involved with parents' rights to spank their children. Sometimes, children need a good spanking every now and then. Just my opinion.

I disagree with the spanking because it is so easy to go overboard. I think it is far more effective to take away something that the kid really care about or revoke a privilege. For a young one, time out or stay in a corner will do. Kids do need discipline as I have seen really rude kids/adults.

Sure we are all guilty of making generalizations. We all slip and make mistakes. (I'll let you off the hook. <wink>) And sometimes our generalization is a result of our being exacerbated by a situation and isn't a direct reflection of how we truly feel. What surprises me is how socially acceptable it still is to make generalizations about children. Some of the things I overhear people say about children I know would be considered discriminatory if we made the same statements about any other group of people.

it could also be the way we are brought up as children.

for example, an adult who grew up in a family that struggled financially may show resentment or jealousy towards children who are given sports cars for their 16th birthday or all of the latest, expensive clothing fashions.

I personally am opposed to corporal punishment. I think too often parents use their children as punching bags, and "discipline" is often used as an excuse for abuse. This isn't to say all parents spanking their children are abusing them, but I see it way too much. I think it's much safer to stay away from using a child to leash your anger out on by discipling them through revoking privileges. That way the discipling states true to its intent--to teach the child a lesson.

but there are braille available. you mean you want all stuff in braille everywhere?

i do. there isn't enough braille -- period. for example, there is no braille signage on businesses, bus stops or even braille documentation (i.e. instructions for popular household products). there needs to be an increase in the availability of braille so legally blind people have the same access to print as their sighted counterparts.

Back