Just your thoughts and opinion on things.

something just occurred to me. when i was in preschool, my teacher used to put me on the opposite side of the room by myself whenever i used to have crying fits or temper tantrums. perhaps my parents should have sued the school district for hindering my social skills like they do today...

I wonder if my parents or I should sue my old school for denying me full access to communication/language/information. I was left out a lot even during learning time.

wtf? i'm horrified. i don't really support that kind of punishment because nowaday - more and more people have allergic reaction to anything. I remember my friend in elementary school has an allergic reaction to soap so he accidentally washed his face with it and half of his face was swollen and red for a couple days.... it looks like an acid burn.

that's true, but i believe in other forms of corporal punishment such as making a child stand in the corner, spanking them or using a paddle.

speaking of allergies, i knew someone in my 4th grade class who was allergic to almost everything. you name it, he was allergic to it. :(

I wonder if my parents or I should sue my old school for denying me full access to communication/language/information. I was left out a lot even during learning time.

that's a lawsuit i would agree with.

something just occurred to me. when i was in preschool, my teacher used to put me on the opposite side of the room by myself whenever i used to have crying fits or temper tantrums. perhaps my parents should have sued the school district for hindering my social skills like they do today...

Why?

It is good for a child to pitch a fit and work out their own problems. IMO

A lot of children pitch fits to get what they want, and it is good for a child to let out their anger.

That is still practiced today

I believe it helps social skills to a certain point. Now if they just shoved you n a corner in every event instead if trying to cope with you then it may have been an issue.

Now if they just shoved you n a corner in every event instead if trying to cope with you then it may have been an issue.

unfortunately, that's exactly what they did. :( the 2 teachers i had for preschool were real sticklers when it came to discipline.

the reason why i was so angry and frustrated was because i didn't understand what was going on around me half the time (i was totally blind) and none of my teachers explained the surrounding environment to me.

that's true, but i believe in other forms of corporal punishment such as making a child stand in the corner, spanking them or using a paddle.

speaking of allergies, i knew someone in my 4th grade class who was allergic to almost everything. you name it, he was allergic to it. :(

oye..... that really sucks to be him....

Why?

It is good for a child to pitch a fit and work out their own problems. IMO

A lot of children pitch fits to get what they want, and it is good for a child to let out their anger.

That is still practiced today

I believe it helps social skills to a certain point. Now if they just shoved you n a corner in every event instead if trying to cope with you then it may have been an issue.

but what about kids with undiagnosed bipolar/ADD/mental illness?

In my opinion, I think NCLB should be thrown out of the window!

In my opinion, I think NCLB should be thrown out of the window!

NCLB = :barf:
they should just appoint Michelle Rhee as secretary of department of education

oye..... that really sucks to be him....

i know. he was even allergic to bathroom tissue, but i no longer remember what he did about that. i do remember him giving a short presentation about his allergies and naming all of them. gee, there must have been at least 20 on his list...

good question, jiro. in that case, a child who acts out should be referred to a pediatric psychiatrist for further diagnosis.

fortunately, many teachers already do this nowadays since more is known about mental illness compared to 20 years ago.

i know. he was even allergic to bathroom tissue, but i no longer remember what he did about that. i do remember him giving a short presentation about his allergies and naming all of them. gee, there must have been at least 20 on his list...

wwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaattttttttt???? that's new to me - being allergic to toilet paper. the only way to clean your ass is do what Arabic people did - use your left hand :ugh:

Oh wow.

I work with Pre Schoolers. If they are upset about something I work with them. but if they start a full blown tantrum. Then I just lay them on the bean bag and tell them when they are done I am here. I let them kick and scream until they are done. Then I would walk up to them and pick them up. and compliment the child on how well He/She has calmed down. and ask if they are ready to talk or just simply want comfort. You have to teach the kids the difference of negative and positive attention. It is a social skill that you teach them, to work out their problems in a positive manner.

Oh wow.

I work with Pre Schoolers. If they are upset about something I work with them. but if they start a full blown tantrum. Then I just lay them on the bean bag and tell them when they are done I am here. I let them kick and scream until they are done. Then I would walk up to them and pick them up. and compliment the child on how well He/She has calmed down. and ask if they are ready to talk or just simply want comfort. You have to teach the kids the difference of negative and positive attention. It is a social skill that you teach them, to work out their problems in a positive manner.

that works for normal kids with normal tantrum but not for kids with mental illness. i'm speaking out of line because i don't have any experience dealing with kids but I'm just speaking from my logical assumptions.

That is why we have professionals, to screen children in the pre schools in our area. We as teachers are not allowed to diagnose children.

Then we set up an program for that child. :)

Observation and screening is all we can do and report. Then it goes from there.

wwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaattttttttt???? that's new to me - being allergic to toilet paper. the only way to clean your ass is do what Arabic people did - use your left hand :ugh:

yep. i no longer remember what he did about that, but after he said he was allergic to bathroom tissue, i was like wtf?! :shock:

IMO... That is just GROSS! I would use a leaf before I use my left hand! :rofl2:

Back