Judge slammed for molester's 60-day sentence

Reiko

Reaction score
BURLINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- A judge is under fire for sentencing a man to 60 days in prison for molesting a girl beginning when she was 6 years old.
Full Story

I can't believe this judge isn't being impeached. :mad:

Yep, He has to go! :pissed: I don't like how the system works at all anymore. His decision is bullcrap! Doesn't he realized that the victim have to live with the pains and emotional scar for the rest of her life and he only gets 60 days in prison? What happen to justice for the victims these days?! Stupid judge should be impeached.

60-day sentence ? :shock: I don't understand that law system... *shake the head*

See? That is why judges should be held liable for making bad decision! Unfortunatley nobody have the guts to sue the judges!

If that judge had his own grandchildren, God Forbid.... been raped or molested.

I would not wish that on the judge, no way!!!

but I am saying .... I am sure the judge will grab the :rl: and blow the sick :madfawk: away with no hesitation.

Why he even gave the sick :madfawk: 60 days beats me!!!! I can understand if the kid is under 18 and happened to sexually abuse somebody then get help but if he is over 18 he is legally an adult then it is either death or go to the big house.....

Where there are 100,000 of inmates who are fathers themselves that love their chidren very much will make sure he is physically beaten up so violently, stick a broom up his ass and then kill him by shiv knife or just walk up behind him and break his neck to leave no evidence in prison.

The inmates will not stand to have someone who is a sick :madfawk: living next to their cell much less a cellmate. The inmates think the sick :madfawk: are worse than a snitch and won't have none of it.

The sick :madfawk: will not live to see another day.

Get that judge fired!!!! He does not deserve to be a judge. I am sure people have threatened the judge's own life and wanted to lynch him , firebomb his home, put the word out on the street for hitmen to hit him and get money as a reward etc. The whole 9 yards and the judge is living in fear for his very life. I would not be surprised to read that in the morning newspapers or see it on the 6 o'clock night news. Too Bad !!! His Problem !!!! :madfawk: The streets has its own justice system. I guess the judge forgot that because he did not give a :madfawk: about the street justice system.

Last edited:
That made me pissed :pissed:

I ought to kick that judge in his b*lls!!! I wonder if he felt sorry for the molester because he is also a molester himself? That judge has to go!!! :madfawk:

I reread the story and I came to where it said the victim's parents were aware that the molester had an interest in their little girl and that he slept in the same bed with her sometimes. What the hell??

Judge slammed for molester's 60-day sentence
'People believe he has flipped his lid'

Tuesday, January 10, 2006; Posted: 8:47 p.m. EST (01:47 GMT

BURLINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- A judge is under fire for sentencing a man to 60 days in prison for molesting a girl beginning when she was 6 years old.

Judge Edward Cashman said he did not require Mark Hulett, 34, to serve more time because Hulett could not receive sex offender treatment while in prison.

"The court viewed the defendant as a dangerous man, likely to engage in future crime unless he has proper and timely treatment," the judge said in court documents filed Tuesday.

Once released, Hulett must undergo treatment and will be under state supervision. If he fails to abide by the terms, he could be sent back to prison for up to 10 years for aggravated sexual assault.

If he serves that time, Hulett would also face a potential life sentence for a second sexual assault count.

Victim's family is outraged
The victim's family, who have not been identified publicly, were outraged by the decision, handed down January 4.

Gov. James Douglas condemned the sentence and House Republicans introduced a resolution calling on Cashman to resign. A state senator is urging his impeachment.

"This guy has got to go," state Sen. Wendy Wilton, a Republican, said in a television appearance. "People believe he has flipped his lid."

For his part, Cashman said he was aware of the criticism his decision had prompted, stating that the "negative comments sting."

"I owe it to the judiciary and to my own conscience to maintain a stand that I believe is the best possible option in a very difficult situation," he said.

Hulett was family friend
Hulett pleaded guilty last summer to charges that he sexually assaulted the victim on at least three occasions over a four-year period.

Hulett was a friend of the victim's family and frequently stayed in her home. The victim's parents were aware that Hulett had an interest in the girl and that the two, on some occasions, slept in the same bed, court documents said. The Department of Correction's sex offender treatment team argued Hulett's risk to re-offend was low. Under Corrections Department policy low-risk sex offenders can only be treated in the community.

But Cashman disagreed with those assessments. He wrote that Hulett had the emotional maturity of a 12- to 14-year old and did not understand why others were so upset by his actions.

Cashman said he was concerned that delaying Hulett's treatment while he served a longer sentence would cause more harm and increase the long-term risk he presented to the community.

ButterflyGirl said:
I reread the story and I came to where it said the victim's parents were aware that the molester had an interest in their little girl and that he slept in the same bed with her sometimes. What the hell??

:) :thumb: ButterflyGirl , That is some sharp eyes you got there. I did not even notice that because I was too angry reading the account of what happened.

If I was the father of the house. Nobody else sleeps in my house except my own family & my mom if my mom needs a place to stay. That is it.

No " family friend " are allowed to sleep at my house, No way!!!! Not when I have a wife and kids to worry about and protect.

Why that father even allowed him to stay alive when he was caught doing that to his daughter beats me.

I will kill him straight up. No questions asked No :madfawk: excuses.

It was on news few weeks ago. I was so pissed off on this one and had to walk away, what is hell matter with that judge. Is he child molester also? Is that why he let this sicko get away with murder? I can not believe that. Remmy this man murdered family in Idaho and kidnapped two kids then killed this young boy. He was let go in Minnestoa then drove to Idaho and did so sick stuffs. No more of child molesters on the street. Enough enough of that.

How can that be justice? *shakes head*

I thought it was quite strange that the victim's parents knew something was up, and yet did nothing to prevent it. Tsk.

Even if this molester Hulett had the emotional maturity of a 12- to 14-year old, he should still be put away where he cannot touch children anymore. *shakes head* the judge truly has a poor sense of judgement! : P

Yeah it is so sad...

Molesters ruining many people and children life, especially little boys, they grew up to be confuse men and messed up manhood.

That Judge should be impeached! His decision is not tough enough for that molester! :pissed:

60-day sentence and that's all??.. :ugh:

That's :bsflag:

The judge needs to GO!! :squint:

Yea that judge has to go but what bothers me is the little girl's parents let the molester sleep in the same bed with her sometimes when he came to visit them. They may didn't know that he was molesting her but if I were in their shoes I would never let anyone even a family friend sleep in the same bed with my children.

ButterflyGirl said:
Yea that judge has to go but what bothers me is the little girl's parents let the molester sleep in the same bed with her sometimes when he came to visit them. They may didn't know that he was molesting her but if I were in their shoes I would never let anyone even a family friend sleep in the same bed with my children.

Yeah you got a good point there, I wouldn't either....

Judge ups sex offender's sentence

Hey, look here...

Under fire, judge extends term from 60 days to three years

BURLINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- A judge who was widely vilified for giving a child molester a 60-day jail term imposed a new sentence Thursday, increasing the man's prison time to three to 10 years.

Judge Edward Cashman said he felt he could now impose the longer sentence because the state had agreed to provide treatment to the man while he is behind bars. The state had initially said such treatment would not come until after the man served his time.

Mark Hulett, 34, pleaded guilty to charges that he had sexual contact with a girl during a four-year period beginning when she was 6.

At the original sentencing, Cashman said the best way to ensure public safety was to get Hulett out of prison so he could receive sex offender treatment.

Because the Corrections Department concluded that Hulett wasn't likely to reoffend, he wouldn't be eligible to receive sex-offender treatment until he reached the end of his jail term.

O'Reilly: 'Worst judge'

That short sentence sparked an outcry. Gov. James Douglas called for the judge to resign, and several lawmakers suggested he be impeached.

On Fox News, Bill O'Reilly told viewers as video of Cashman rolled: "You may be looking at the worst judge in the USA."

In his order Thursday, the judge remained firm in his original belief that sentences must be concerned with more than just punishment.

"The court agrees a punitive response -- punishment -- is a valuable and necessary component of society's response to criminal conduct," he said. "It is a tool that the court has routinely used for the past 24 years on the trial bench. As stated during the sentencing hearing, however, punishment is not enough of a response in some cases.

"This is one of those cases," he said.

Governor not satisfied

Hulett and his lawyer accepted the longer sentence. Under the original agreement, Hulett could have opted for a trial if a jail term of more than 90 days was imposed.

Douglas said he considered the new sentence to still be too lenient considering the crime.

"It's 18 times 60 days, so it's certainly an improvement," the governor said. "Personally, I think it's inadequate for a crime of that magnitude, but it is certainly better than the first decision."

Attorney General William Sorrell had also hoped for longer than three years, but he praised the judge for making the change. "I would have rather seen it be a longer sentence as a message to other would-be offenders, but I think Judge Cashman is big enough to change course," he said.

The victim's family left the courtroom without comment.

Hulett's lawyer, Mark Kaplan, said he thought the sentence was fair, adding, "I think it makes sense under the circumstances."

Source ----> Link

Three years....feh, not good enough, but it is probably better than 60 days.
: P At least the judge listened to the people, I guess.

Back