IVF and multiples. Is it right?

Are you for or against IVF?

• I'm all for IVF. However many embryo's the woman decides to implant.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I'm ok about IVF as long as the implanted embryo's are limited.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • I have missgivings about IVF. It would be better if they adopted.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I'm totally against IVF. It should be banned.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other. (please express)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted that I'm totally against IVF. It should be banned. :cool:

I am not for it at all, but I don't think it should be banned. I think it should be expensive as hell, which it is. But not as much as I'd like... maybe add 20% to give to foster care or something!

My friend works in a IVF clinic... it's a lucrative job for sure!

Yeah but that doctor has NO reason to give that woman all 8 embryos. I have heard and read that 5 is usually max, because it is pushing the bodies limit. 3 is usually ideal. And doing 8 was just plain obnoxious. Especially because he has done her previous procedures. He is fully aware of her situation at home and issues, I think its insane that he went through with this. If he would have said no, and given her the 3 like he was supposed to.. all of this could have been avoided.

Yes, that's right.

Yes I agree that it's irresponsible of the doctor to give single mother of 6 children IVF but single mother of 6 children is also irresponsible, too for her senseless to want to have 8 more babies.

As for me, I don't mind as long as her health is strong enough with no ill. I would prefer to LET it take its course naturally until then, if anythin' goes bad, then this woman will find another option to take care of. We have an advanced technology nowsdays. :)

As for me, I don't mind as long as her health is strong enough with no ill. I would prefer to LET it take its course naturally until then, if anythin' goes bad, then this woman will find another option to take care of. We have an advanced technology nowsdays. :)

You're not understanding this, Maria. This woman already had 6 children that she is unable to care for. Now she has 14 children that she's unable to care for. It's not about technology. It's about the ethics behind bringing 8 innocent lives into the world when the woman isn't responsible enough to care for even ONE child; let alone fourteen.

You're not understanding this, Maria. This woman already had 6 children that she is unable to care for. Now she has 14 children that she's unable to care for. It's not about technology. It's about the ethics behind bringing 8 innocent lives into the world when the woman isn't responsible enough to care for even ONE child; let alone fourteen.

Exactly there!

My perspective is this, if the female body only has two nipples to feed with then she shouldn't bear any more numbers of children than the nipple count. TMI I know but that's how the body is built and we should never go against that.

I understand, Oceanbreeze. I responded to the poll that this OP created. Some women can manage, some don't. Look at the famous family - a mother who gave birth more than 10 children. There's a thread about the family. Not many of them are like this family. It just happened and very rare who can manage very well.

I feel that people that want an IVF, Should have a credit check. To show they can afford the kids and will be responsible for the bills. Since it is an expensive procedure, and many end up in results of multiple births. Tax payer should not be footing the bill for an IVF or the children.

Then again people without IVF end up having kids they can not afford as well. Does a woman have a right to choose? I have never seen the government footing a bill on abortions. But go ahead have all the kids you want...

Seems Ironic.

I feel that people that want an IVF, Should have a credit check. To show they can afford the kids and will be responsible for the bills. Since it is an expensive procedure, and many end up in results of multiple births. Tax payer should not be footing the bill for an IVF or the children.

Then again people without IVF end up having kids they can not afford as well. Does a woman have a right to choose? I have never seen the government footing a bill on abortions. But go ahead have all the kids you want...

Seems Ironic.

Until this, I never would have imagine that the taxpayers foot the bill of the IVF procedures...

Look at the famous family - a mother who gave birth more than 10 children. There's a thread about the family. Not many of them are like this family. It just happened and very rare who can manage very well.

Maria, I suspect you're not really seeing the full picture here.

Those "famous" families you are talking about, Maria.

The women - they are married with husbands. They have support, they have a clean home and they are not on welfare.

Those "famous" families you're thinking of are not conceived out of some sick obsession with babies like this single woman is.

Now which woman can handle this situation well?

Definitely not the single woman.. it is those "famous" families.

Exactly there!

My perspective is this, if the female body only has two nipples to feed with then she shouldn't bear any more numbers of children than the nipple count. TMI I know but that's how the body is built and we should never go against that.

I agree with you in this case, but here's my problem... (Not with you, but the issue itself....)...

IVF was designed to help INFERTILE women conceive and bear a child. Unfortunately, higher order multiples DO result from this but the Dr usually offers selective reduction when a multiple pregnancy is confirmed. In this instance, I'm fine with it. What I find hard to accept is that the Dr who artificially impregnanted that woman did so unethically. That's my problem with this, really.

On the whole of it, it's a proven fact that when a woman gives birth to multiples, there's going to be complications for the mother and her children. Is it right to impose those complications on the unborn fetuses? I don't know.

I think the answer lies somewhere in the question...Should we undertake this technology and appy it simply because we can?

This is where both Aghori and I agree on this perspective as well.

Sometimes science should not be involved when the human body is not capable of reproduction.

Take me for instance, I'm not able to biologically conceive. Would I want IVF? No.

I do not want science to intervene for us.

Exactly there!

Excellent point, Mrs. B.

This is where both Aghori and I agree on this perspective as well.

Sometimes science should not be involved when the human body is not capable of reproduction.

Take me for instance, I'm not able to biologically conceive. Would I want IVF? No.

I do not want science to intervene for us.

I have similiar feelings. Just because it's there, do I want it? No, not really.

Exactly there!

:lol: Well said! :lol:

Maria, I suspect you're not really seeing the full picture here.

Those "famous" families you are talking about, Maria.

The women - they are married with husbands. They have support, they have a clean home and they are not on welfare.

Those "famous" families you're thinking of are not conceived out of some sick obsession with babies like this single woman is.

Now which woman can handle this situation well?

Definitely not the single woman.. it is those "famous" families.

Huh ? I guess, you are talkin' about Byrdie's viewpoint/opinion about bannin' on welfare. This is not what I am readin' in OP's very first post.

what does advanced technology has to do with many babies? Can advanced technology print money to pay for expense? feed 8 babies? bathe 8 babies?

you know that existed only in tv show....

2wc4fex.jpg

I support IVF but it should be limited to 2 embryos. I am fine with twins but it gets more risky with triplets and bigger multiples, which is why I said 2. Also, if you are on welfare, no fertility treatment for you! I can't believe the state of California paid for the fertility treatment for all 14 kids, let alone even one baby. If the state was paying, I would have thought there would be limits in place already. Hopefully California has learned its lesson. I don't think any other state in the USA pays for fertility treatments at all, you would either have to pay for it yourself or have it paid for by insurance that you have through your job. As far as I know, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Florida, Montana, Colorado, and Texas doesn't (I have lived in all 6 states) pay for fertility treatments. I was so :jaw: when I found out that the state of California paid for the treatments. Wow. I thought that Medicare, Medicaid, Medi-Cal (in California) only paid for preventive health care and treatments and treatments that promotes health and any necessary treatment to help you get back to health, and nothing cosmetic or does not prevent health problems or does not promote your health. I know Medicaid does pay for breast reductions (At least it does in Ohio as far as I know), but I support it because it would help large-breasted women with their back issues, thus allowing them to not miss work or to return to work. But they of course do not pay for breast implants or other cosmetic procedures or any other ridiculous medical treatments that does NOT promote your health.

what does advanced technology has to do with many babies? Can advanced technology print money to pay for expense? feed 8 babies? bathe 8 babies?

you know that existed only in tv show....

2wc4fex.jpg

I am not talkin' about money to pay for expense unless, if you are talkin' about other thread that was created by other OP. I am talkin' about general to this OP's thread. If, a woman conceives many babies at one time and have a problem with health -- doctor can help to save them. We have an advanced technology to take care of that.

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't mind how many embryos a woman can conceive as long as her health is strong enough with no ill.

I don't so much agree with that many multiples such as the ones being discussed all over the place today. On the news they listed how much each baby costs the state of California. I think thats pretty disgusting. These babies are already alive and here. Its not like we can go knock them off, just because its going to cost california some money.

I do not think the babies should be knocked off...they are already here. But I do think if it becomes clear that this woman cannot take care of 14 kids on her own, then perhaps those babies should be put up for adoptions once they are healthy enough to leave the hospital. I know I have been flamed for saying this before, but it's ADOPTION not ABORTION. I try to imagine a single mother running around trying to take care of ALL 14 kids on her own, trying to feed the older six, bathe and dress them, feeding all eight babies, bathing them and then dressing them, tend to them as they cry, scream, puke, and shit, change their diapers every few hours (yes, babies shit a lot), clean up the baby puke, clean up the older six kids' messes, clean the house, tend to the older six kids when they need her for whatever reasons, take them to school if they are old enough to be in school, and the list goes on and on and on. Oh, and don't forget the potential medical problems the eight babies may have from being so premature and from being being one of the biggest multiple birth babies. They may continue to require specialized care. I know if I tried to take on the challenge of trying to raise 14 kids, including eight small babies, I would NEVER get a chance to get ANY sleep. She probably expected to depend on others for help. She expected others to donate clothes and money and toes. She won't get much of that.

Back