I've been told ASL is "going out"?

camerachick26

Reaction score
I met with my counselor today to discuss options with college and such. I want to go to Gallaudet for teaching and specializing with deaf students. My counselor said that sign language isn't really "in style" anymore and nobody uses sign language. She even said that she doesn't see a point in learning sign language when deaf students lip read nowadays. Is this true? I thought that deaf students were taught in sign language?

I still use my interpreter. It is still useful. TELL COUNSelor " you are DEAD WRONG! (i am trying to be nice). OK ASL is alive for a long long long long time. :aw:

Sign language is NOT going out of style. Your counselor doesn't know what she's talking about.

Your counselor is waaaaaay off base. ASL is not "going out of style." If anything, more schools are teaching it.

Contact Gallaudet directly for more information. Your counselor is clueless.

i suggest you to try to socialize with Deaf people and you will decide if you want to continue by learning ASL.. So good luck!

Your counselor is waaaaaay off base. ASL is not "going out of style." If anything, more schools are teaching it.

Contact Gallaudet directly for more information. Your counselor is clueless.

Delaware now allows ASL to be taken as a "foreign" language in high schools. Unfortunately, UDel does not yet accept it as a "foreign" language (for incoming freshmen). Don't know how many schools actually are teaching it because it was just in the last year or two that it was allowed.

I met with my counselor today to discuss options with college and such. I want to go to Gallaudet for teaching and specializing with deaf students. My counselor said that sign language isn't really "in style" anymore and nobody uses sign language. She even said that she doesn't see a point in learning sign language when deaf students lip read nowadays. Is this true? I thought that deaf students were taught in sign language?

:shock: Maybe your counselor said that to save State money by having you "further your education" locally?

is it possible that you may have misunderstood her? or maybe she misspoke?

It's a possibility that your counselor may be saying that in this time and state of economy, it's not a good idea to pursue in what you're interested in because jobs are scarce and pay rate is terrible.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It sounds like the counseler is just very ignorant regarding not only Deaf Education, but also ASL.

Honeslty I'd contact Gally ans as if they can send some information to your school conselor directly as well as to yourself.

Everything I've seen indicated that ASL usage is actually on the rise.

Many people don't realise that while CIs have made huge advances in the last 10years, they are also only suitable for a small percentage of those who are Hoh or deaf (less than 10%) - and even then CIs don't "cure" deafness.

ASL will continue to be alive and well for at least as long as anyone who is alive currently lives.

is it possible that you may have misunderstood her? or maybe she misspoke?

It's a possibility that your counselor may be saying that in this time and state of economy, it's not a good idea to pursue in what you're interested in because jobs are scarce and pay rate is terrible.

Are jobs still scare when you hit the highly populated deaf areas?

Also, I don't really know that my counselor understands the situation. I'm one of three HOH students in my high school (out of 800 students). A school just down the road from mine is starting an ASL program in the fall, so I know that schools are starting to teach it as a foreign language now. I was sure that ASL usage wasn't decreasing, but I just wanted to be sure. I thought it was kinda weird that she thought people just lip read. Glad she thinks so, because there is no way I could depend on lip reading...

Also, I don't really know that my counselor understands the situation. I'm one of three HOH students in my high school (out of 800 students). A school just down the road from mine is starting an ASL program in the fall, so I know that schools are starting to teach it as a foreign language now. I was sure that ASL usage wasn't decreasing, but I just wanted to be sure. I thought it was kinda weird that she thought people just lip read. Glad she thinks so, because there is no way I could depend on lip reading...

Well, since you seem to be getting confirmation of stuff, etc, what do you now suppose is the real motive of your counselor?

The counselor is wrong. Obviously. ASL is widely used.

Hmm. This reminds me of eariler this year, when my school counselor told me that I can't go to nursing school, because I'm deaf. (At that time, I wanted to be either an RN or an occupational therapist. Now I really want to be an OT.) I just rolled my eyes at her e-mail, and I went on the internet, found a bunch of stuff about Deaf professionals, including Deaf doctors, and e-mailed the links to the counselor.

THAT shut her up. :giggle:

My point is, if you want to be able to get anywhere with your counselor, you're going to need to find LOTS of information that proves that ASL is NOT going out. In fact, all I see is ASL gaining more popularity - not going out. If I were you, I'd contact Gallaudet yourself, and get some more information information about your chosen major.

Your counselor is pretty inept in this area - trying to convince you that deaf students lip-read instead of sign, PFFT. I'd skip her and try to get information yourself if I were you.

I might add that high school counselors Have a pretty tough job and MANY people fall through the cracks.....not just deaf students. It is great that you questioned this enough to seek answers. I tell kids I come across to email colleges for these types of answers rather than relying on the high school counselor.

:hmm: At first I thought this was an old thread, as the story is eerily similar to one posted within the last year.

You have a goofy counselor. I wouldn't waste your time with them
Anymore. Hopefully there is another counselor for you to talk to.
TXgolfer's idea was good too...

What do you mean? The motive of my counselor?

The REAL reason why your counselor told you that is what I mean. Uneducated?
Other reasons? I suggest you contact or go into the offices of your local Vocational Rehabilitation agency. How big is your city? What State are you in?

The REAL reason why your counselor told you that is what I mean. Uneducated?
Other reasons? I suggest you contact or go into the offices of your local Vocational Rehabilitation agency. How big is your city? What State are you in?

I don't know. I think that she is uneducated. She mentioned that she worked with deaf kids like 20 years ago, and none of them used sign language.

I live in Michigan, USA. My city isn't terribly big and not a lot of deaf people around that I know.

I don't know. I think that she is uneducated. She mentioned that she worked with deaf kids like 20 years ago, and none of them used sign language.

I live in Michigan, USA. My city isn't terribly big and not a lot of deaf people around that I know.

I see....ok, well, it would behoove you to find "Vocational Rehabilitation" which is a State agency; maybe in your city, maybe not but it would be worth your while, I am pretty sure. If you get hooked up with a VR counselor, you may get much of your Gallaudet University education paid for, depending on a number of things too complicated to go into here but....get ahold of a VR counselor ASAP......don't wait as these things take time. Best wishes.....

Last edited:
Back