ITP - Associate Degree Programs

codaterp

Reaction score
If RID will require a bachelors degree in order to take the NIC written by 2012, what will happen to the many associate degree programs?

OMGs....I haven't even started my ITP yet at my local community college. RID & Gallaudet are the closest Universities to me that even have BA in Interpreting

No need to panic.

The bachelor's degree can be in any major; it doesn't have to be in interpreting.

Associate degree ITP credits can still be transferred to four-year programs.

No need to panic.

The bachelor's degree can be in any major; it doesn't have to be in interpreting.

Hmmmmm so if I finish getting my BA in Early Childhood Ed with a cert in interpreting it will be ok?

julie, i fucking love that cats tailing chasing humous vidoe capture, its endearing oh better yet it adoring...

other than that i dont give a shit about anything else in this thread - sorry

julie, i fucking love that cats tailing chasing humous vidoe capture, its endearing oh better yet it adoring...

other than that i dont give a shit about anything else in this thread - sorry
Come back when you're sober. :roll:

Yes, but I would suggest you get as many hours in interpreting courses as possible.

Here's something about the degree requirements:

http://rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/Certification_Documents/NewEducationalRequirementsFAQ_090819.pdf

The local community college's ITP cert will give me an AAS (Associate in Applied Science). I might have to do a double major, to get both degrees at the same time. Then continue at a SUNY university to complete my BA in Early Childhood Ed.

No need to panic.

Reba is right.

You can get an AAS degree in ITP and bachelors degree in any major such as Education. You will be fine, really.

Thanks both Reba & Oddball for easing my fears. sometimes I feel like the Gods are against me from getting into a better place than I am. Obstacles keep popping up in my path everytime I think I have finally gotten through.

Thanks both Reba & Oddball for easing my fears. sometimes I feel like the Gods are against me from getting into a better place than I am. Obstacles keep popping up in my path everytime I think I have finally gotten through.
Interpreting does have its challenges. :lol:

Are you a member of RID? If you join RID you will get their magazine Views , the annual Journal of Interpretation, and email notifications that will keep you informed about what's going on in the interpreting field. You can also review their website periodically to keep up with things so you won't be hit with any surprises.

Your ITP department head and instructors should be keeping their students informed, too.

Interpreting does have its challenges. :lol:

Are you a member of RID? If you join RID you will get their magazine Views , the annual Journal of Interpretation, and email notifications that will keep you informed about what's going on in the interpreting field. You can also review their website periodically to keep up with things so you won't be hit with any surprises.

Your ITP department head and instructors should be keeping their students informed, too.

Right now my classes are on hiatus, cause of financial reasons. I was one semester away from getting my AS in early childhood ed when I found the closer ITP, so I transferred into the ITP. But I found out that I didn't have all the prerequisites to get in. Then the school lost my immunization record from my old school. :roll: then when I went to get another copy I found out I had an outstanding bill and couldn't get the record, nor could I afford to pay it.

Right now my classes are on hiatus, cause of financial reasons. I was one semester away from getting my AS in early childhood ed when I found the closer ITP, so I transferred into the ITP. But I found out that I didn't have all the prerequisites to get in. Then the school lost my immunization record from my old school. :roll: then when I went to get another copy I found out I had an outstanding bill and couldn't get the record, nor could I afford to pay it.
Why do you need an immunization record?

Take each hurdle one at a time, and you should make it over. :)

Why do you need an immunization record?

Take each hurdle one at a time, and you should make it over. :)

As far as I know all NY colleges/universities require proof of immunization. My problems are:

1. I have no insurance, so no GP with records
2. I am 37 and my High school only holds immunization records for 18yrs. I am going to have my 20th year reunion next summer.
3. I got the free MMR shots at the last college I was at. i asked the new college if there was a program like that there but the nurse said no. I was willing to have yet another round of MMR shots so I could go to this school.

As far as I know all NY colleges/universities require proof of immunization. My problems are:

1. I have no insurance, so no GP with records
2. I am 37 and my High school only holds immunization records for 18yrs. I am going to have my 20th year reunion next summer.
3. I got the free MMR shots at the last college I was at. i asked the new college if there was a program like that there but the nurse said no. I was willing to have yet another round of MMR shots so I could go to this school.
Are you a dorm student? Is that why they require immunizations? What kind do you need? I thought the MMR was normally done only once in a lifetime?

What is "GP"?

Are you a dorm student? Is that why they require immunizations? What kind do you need? I thought the MMR was normally done only once in a lifetime?

What is "GP"?

General Practitioner and no I am not a dorm student. It's a community college I'd be going to, they do not have dorms. And yes normally an MMR vaccination would be once a lifetime. I couldn't prove that I had received mine in the first place, even though I am 37 yrs old and graduated HS in NY.

General Practitioner and no I am not a dorm student. It's a community college I'd be going to, they do not have dorms. And yes normally an MMR vaccination would be once a lifetime. I couldn't prove that I had received mine in the first place, even though I am 37 yrs old and graduated HS in NY.
Can you go to a free or low-cost health clinic for low income people to get the shots?

I want to become an interpretor and go to school. Any advice what type of degree to get? or school to attend?

Double check whether immunization records are required above a certain age. When I enrolled at Gallaudet, I was 26,and we couldn't find my records either. Turned out I didn't need them, you only need them at 25 and younger. That was Gallaudet, your school might be different, but it's worth checking out.

Back