It bothers me when a deaf person ask me

had people in past who asked then wanted to know how managed it.they not being nasty just curious..i had to make detours in my working life theatre nurse had give that up...i always explain how why what,only way people understand

whats problem asking what do for living

There is no problem with it...it's just how you go about it (asking)...and you just don't drive up or walk up to someone (a stranger) and ask where they work....(as was the OP case)....hope I've explained it clearly...

Hey dude, I feel ya.
There's a right time for everything.
I've met that kind of deaf person who asked a to z about job, things owned, and it was the way they did it
That made it's annoying. Since suddenly u feel like they want u to help them get a job and be successful and ask personal questions that it feels like ur gonna wake up pregnant.
the struggle is I feel annoyed but same time feel sorry for the person.
So don't worry dude ur not wrong to feel that way. Its good u feel comfortable sharing it with us.
Some just need a little help with the art of conversation.

Why? I ask hearing people the same question too. It's just conversation. I don't think asking about their profession is personal when it comes to a face to face conversation.

People from the Far East would ask that question fast. Questions they were never shy about asking me on the first meeting were:

Are you married? Why not?
Where do you work?
How much money does that pay?

Sometimes it's a cultural thing....it's not a hearing/deaf thing.

People from the Far East would ask that question fast. Questions they were never shy about asking me on the first meeting were:

Are you married? Why not?
Where do you work?
How much money does that pay?

Sometimes it's a cultural thing....it's not a hearing/deaf thing.

I agree. I don't think it's a Deaf/hearing thing.

Some of those are questions that I won't answer. Even to my own family.

All those makes me nervous. Maybe I should not own a car with turbocharged engine. If I owned one, people would be swarming me asking how I can afford a nice turbocharged car. If it is not turbocharged, then no one will pay attention to me. Maybe that will help.

i once had a straight six turbo car, looks plain no one noticed, trick is dont buy a car with a 'tubo' badge, or stickers

I agree. I don't think it's a Deaf/hearing thing.

Some of those are questions that I won't answer. Even to my own family.

I forgot the age question - no idea why but they want to your age right away. Just not a question most Americans or Europeans would ever ask, even knowing a person for years.....

When a person ask me a personal question I ask the person the same question back . What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

I forgot the age question - no idea why but they want to your age right away. Just not a question most Americans or Europeans would ever ask, even knowing a person for years.....

I never get anybody asking me my age. Is that common?

I've had a few ask me, which doesn't bother me, but what bothers me is what they say after I tell them...."Wow, you must be rich".

They assume that because I work, have a couple decent cars, wear decent clothes, and own my own house, so I must be rich.

Most conversations end abruptly when I ask them what they do for a living.

I get the "wow, you must be rich" when I tell them that I am a teacher. I guess to them, I must be rich if I own a house, a RV, a car, and still do enjoy recreational stuff.

I work two jobs because I am working on paying down my debt so I dont consider myself rich.

Different point of views on what "rich" means, I guess.

I never get anybody asking me my age. Is that common?

If you're meeting with people from Laos, Vietnam, or Cambodia...yes. A Chinese friend told me they're like this because they're "boat people" and on boats, there are no secrets.....they don't ask questions like this to be rude, they just don't get why a person might be reluctant to answer. I remember I had a Cambodian friend over one night and we invited her to eat with us. She asked what we were having (my father was cooking) and she replied "That's it?" My father did a double take but thankfully said nothing. They're very blunt....:D

If you're meeting with people from Laos, Vietnam, or Cambodia...yes. A Chinese friend told me they're like this because they're "boat people" and on boats, there are no secrets.....they don't ask questions like this to be rude, they just don't get why a person might be reluctant to answer. I remember I had a Cambodian friend over one night and we invited her to eat with us. She asked what we were having (my father was cooking) and she replied "That's it?" My father did a double take but thankfully said nothing. They're very blunt....:D

If she was a close enough friend to be asked to your home, did you then take her aside and tell her more about it being considered rude here?

All of this sounds like some of the first dates I have had. Not quite as bad as some I think the the worst I figured it out later was the one who put her hand down the front of my pants during the surprise end of date kiss.
I figured out later she was measuring my length. I must have failed she did not return my call.

Back