It bothers me when a deaf person ask me

All those makes me nervous. Maybe I should not own a car with turbocharged engine. If I owned one, people would be swarming me asking how I can afford a nice turbocharged car. If it is not turbocharged, then no one will pay attention to me. Maybe that will help.

If you can do it without being take e. g. 25% finance charge or scammed by predatory lenders, yes, you can use credit to your advantage.

In fact, just paying off your credit card every month just for the cash back bonus is a huge advantage(it really is just a form of credit even if paid off).

Too many people abuse the lifestyle.

I do not disagree with you one bit. You can make money from playing credit monopoly. No doubt. It's just not a lifestyle that I'm willing to pursue. The penalties are too great for me.

Doing research, and making an informed decision is what I do.

Perfect example: buying a new car vs a 3 year old used car, same model.
Back in 2003, I looked at a bunch of used Honda Accords. Found a couple of 2000 & 2001 Accords with 20K-30K miles. Both are the EX model, more options than I need. Dealers would not drop their prices below $18K no matter what.

I shopped around and found a couple dealers about 2 hours away selling brand-new Accords for $17899, including freight. They were the LX model, which has just the options I want.

So, do I get a used car, pay $18K, plus higher interest rates on used cars, 90 day warranty....or buy brand new, $18K, 1.9% financing, three year warranty. Of course I got the new one. No brainer there.

I've had idiots ask me why I didn't get a used BMW or Audi instead of a new Honda, even if they were 4 years old and the same price. If anyone does their homework, they would notice that the cost of owning a BMW, even a used one, is much higher than a Honda. Plus, I don't give a rat's ass about social status....I ain't dumping money into a car just because the name represents "I am better than you".

What bother me is when people ask "Do you drive a car?" GRR! I should ask back "are stupid people allowed to drive cars?"

I'd say at least I drive better then you and your mama... :shock:

"What kind of job do you have?" right after our first 2 minutes of introduction, that BOTHERS me the most. I am usually reply with no answer by saying "oh, you're nosey" or "I have two jobs". I have felt little disgusted and never bother to continue the conversation.

Have you experience that before? :hmm:

That is actually a pretty normal conversation topic/starter.

Actually, I am often the person asking. :)

Really?...Some stranger you saw driving down the road...or on the street?....I can see asking that question at a party, friends...such as that...but someone you just met?....

There will be some people that might give ya a very rude answer...or feel offended, not even knowing you but a a minute or so (not even knowing your name)....

Really?...Some stranger you saw driving down the road...or on the street?....I can see asking that question at a party, friends...such as that...but someone you just met?....

There will be some people that might give ya a very rude answer...or feel offended, not even knowing you but a a minute or so (not even knowing your name)....

It's my #2 goto question for new people. #1 is asking them about the weather.

I've never been asked whether I have a job or not and what I do for a living. Everybody knows that I'm on SSI and SS anyways and no one cares.

No, I mean in the course of normal conversation with a stranger. That wouldn't be my opening.

It's my #2 goto question for new people. #1 is asking them about the weather.

Yeah?...well in Authentic's case (the OP)...the people didn't even ask about the weather...once they found out he was deaf and driving a convertible....just said "where do you work?"....not even knowing his name (or bothering to ask)...just looking at the hot car...so it's not rocket science to think, even know...what they were assuming...ass-um-ing....

Anyway, at parties or friends' gatherings and such...work would be the last thing I would want to talk about!....Feel many people just want to forget about work for awhile....I can see if you've conversed with someone for awhile...then of course the convo might steer towards the working issue....

Yeah?...well in Authentic's case (the OP)...the people didn't even ask about the weather...once they found out he was deaf and driving a convertible....just said "where do you work?"....not even knowing his name (or bothering to ask)...just looking at the hot car...so it's not rocket science to think, even know...what they were assuming...ass-um-ing....

Anyway, at parties or friends' gatherings and such...work would be the last thing I would want to talk about!....Feel many people just want to forget about work for awhile....I can see if you've conversed with someone for awhile...then of course the convo might steer towards the working issue....

Yeah, I'd just keep on driving.

Believe me... its not about talking about work but learning about the other person. What you do for most of the day does shape a person's background. I rarely talk about work at home or with friends that I'm around a lot but I definitely do do it with new people. Just having conversation is all.

It is normally what I am comfortable talking about with people I do not really know that much. It is not political, religious, or even that personal.
Socially on the surface of things it is a way to relate and to try and find some kind of common ground or just carry on an inoffensive conversation.
Economic success and failure is something everyone talks about.
Now if someone asks how much you make per year and how do you afford that-- now that is going kind of far into nosyland.
Implying it is just that and then with good cheer an answer like yeah prices are sure high now or I do okay or whatever pleasant nonanswer comes to mind. Why even judge the person? It is nice to live in a world where people actually talk to each other.

Back