Is this true about Gallaudet?

faire_jour

Reaction score
Is gallaudet university in washington d.c. considered as ivy league school? - Yahoo! Answers

Around 90% of the deaf students entering Gallaudet are required to take 2 years of developmental math before they are able to take a math course for college credit. In addition, about 75% of the incoming students have to take development reading and writing just to get up to the 8th grade level used in the college-credit courses.

They go on to say that the academics are not rigorous at all.

I had never heard this before, is this true?

I'm not sure. But I do know that when I graduated HS, (deaf school), it was not eqivalent to public schools. I did pass the college exams, tho'., just couldn't afford to attend. And I graduated HS at age 15, skipping 3 grades, due to being in public school before losing my hearing.
But I'm sure times have changed now, hopefully for the better.

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Heh.. running out of material and resorting to a matajan post.. comical

Wow....

no, asking a genuine question. I read it from a post here, but it doesn't have any documentation or references, so i was asking if it was true. :dunno:

I wouldn't worry about it seeing as how your grammar sucks you'll probably end up working at Mickey D's anyway.

That was cold! :laugh2:

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Is gallaudet university in washington d.c. considered as ivy league school? - Yahoo! Answers

Around 90% of the deaf students entering Gallaudet are required to take 2 years of developmental math before they are able to take a math course for college credit. In addition, about 75% of the incoming students have to take development reading and writing just to get up to the 8th grade level used in the college-credit courses.

I think any deaf can graduate in many colleges. Go ask daredevil if she know any deaf. Does it mean it's not a good college because a deaf with broken english and not so great in math graduated there?

Wirelessly posted

Btw, I had to take developmental english and math ( I had to math because it been years and I forgotten my algebra) in my local community collage. No big deal.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

no, asking a genuine question. I read it from a post here, but it doesn't have any documentation or references, so i was asking if it was true. :dunno:
Ok I'll answer your question. No it is not true that Gallaudet is considered an ivy league school.

Wirelessly posted

Where did the person get his information anyway?

But I would not be surprised if 90% deaf statewide,despite what college they go and what language method they used, take developmental math and/or english. Or used to be like that.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Where did the person get his information anyway?

But I not surprised if 90% deaf statewide,despite what college they go and what language method they used, take developmental math and/or english. Or used to be like that.

I don't know, that is why I was asking. I had never heard that, and he didn't give a source for his information, so I asking here, since I know that at least a few people have attended Gallaudet.

I did post on answers. yahoo .com and type my question

i think that someone who typed this response to my question and know about gallaudet.

I did not like to take development course in two years to waste money and not keep track on credit.

It's similar at NTID/RIT.

Most deaf students who enter NTID/RIT have to take a test to see how well they are on an academic level. From there, they are assigned a certain level in Math, Reading, and Writing.

A lot of students don't take those tests seriously. As a result, they end up spending 5 to 7 years just to earn a 2-year degree from NTID. I know some people who graduated from NTID with an AOS degree (not AAS). An AOS degree is kinda like a certification degree (without most of the basic non-major course requirements) that won't be acceptable when trying to continue for a BS degree.

Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:
It's similar at NTID/RIT.

Most deaf students who enter NTID/RIT have to take a test to see how well they are on an academic level. From there, they are assigned a certain level in Math, Reading, and Writing.

A lot of students don't take those tests seriously. As a result, they end up spending 5 to 7 years just to earn a 2-year degree from NTID. I know some people who graduated from NTID with an AOS degree (not AAS). An AOS degree is kinda like a certification degree (without most of the basic non-major course requirements) that won't be acceptable when trying to continue for a BS degree.

Are they able to take other courses? I was able to take a few courses that didn't require math or english while I was taking developmental english and algebra( I already took algebra in high school and passed..just that I forgotten it. I know I will have to take it again because I forgot again). It helps shortened my time spent in college.

Last edited:
i think that someone who typed this response to my question and know about gallaudet.

I did not like to take development course in two years to waste money and not keep track on credit.

Simple: Go to community college if you are required to take remedial classes and they are much cheaper than university.

Your English is obviously terrible, about similar level as mine does so you are required to take developmental course in English and possibly Reading.

I completed ALL remedial classes now and it was good day for me.

Wirelessly posted

Community college will definitely make him take remedial English. And they probably would not let him take English 111, an college English required to get a degree, until he pass remedial English. It could take him years if he is struggling English.

Last edited:
Back