Is Texting Ruining Our Children's Writing?

Boult

Reaction score
What do you think?

Is Texting Ruining Our Children's Writing?

by David Safier

Some people are worried that our children who are texting, Facebooking, emailing and IM-ing will never learn how to write in complete sentences using capital letters and punctuation. Worse, they'll only be able to write in the abbreviated, telegraphic style of these dashed-off, emoticon-laden messages and lose the ability to write long, thoughtful essays.

I had wondered about that. Some of my coworkers were saying that it was good for our deaf students to use texting, aim and so forth but a part of me is not too sure cuz of this issue.

My daughter still writes using paper and I noticed that her writing is more elaborate than when she uses text messaging or emails.

Well, the schools aren't exactly knocking themselves out in teaching the kids, so what do you expect? They'll be in for a rude awakening when they go to college or a university (if they can make it that far).

I doubt it. Think about it, since the introduction of the pc to an earlier generation, people still write despite using a keyboard. I think lack of writing skills are more of a delinquent matter rather than blaming texting itself.

To me, the only thing that is important is that you can read it and can understanding/response to it.

Nah. Kids have always had a hard time writing. I think because of texting, IM, etc. they are actually writing more than in the past.

Text messaging is good for a quick reply its ok to use abbreviations. Learning computer lingo such as LOL, LMAO etc.. Are pretty popular if there's a new abbreviation simly ask what does it mean?

In forums, IM's and blogs requires complete sentences according to the individuals writing skills. Reading blogs and forums may improve others writing abilities.

I have a bad habit with typos something I need to learn to improve on or my mind runs quicker than my typing hands lol I will be ok :)

at least through text messaging, they are becoming more expressive. It's two different things - the language of how they use it through writing and text. Is it associated of how they are today? Yes and no. It depends...

Folks, if you're gonna make excuses for deliberate nor non-deliberate excuses, don't try.

If you can't spell, alls ya'll need to git back to dem dere schools an git it dun right.

Fonetic spellin' and typos reflect on YOU.

Overall its probaly bad but theres nothing you can do about it. In this day and age, hand-written letters are pretty much nonexistant, replaced by e-mail for its much more convienient and cheaper. Its the same for the telephone and a lot of other technological advances that get introduced to us everyday in this era.

Back