Is it Sign Language when you sleep? Deaf or HOH?

dcraker

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything about how one dreams in here.

So I guess I thought I would make this thread and see what you have to say about it.

A little about me, I was born this way, I am completely deaf in my left ear, and have about 40% hearing in my right ear. I went to public school from Kindergarten to 8th grade, with the exception of 3 grade... which I was actually put in a class with other deaf students. I did learn ASL during this year, which sadly I have forgotten just about everything from it.
When I went to the deaf school in NM in 8th grade, it took about 2 years to learn sign language again, this time it is more of English signing. I wasn't really able to sign ASL, but I could understand it pretty good.

So, the purpose of this thread is: When I sleep at night, I normally think that the people I talk to is actually talking, not signing. Even when I know that person can't really talk.... so at these times, I realize that I am actually dreaming while I am asleep.

What is in your dreams? Is everyone signing or talking or mixed?

I'm totally deaf. Some dreams I remember have nobody talking to me because of them not talking to anybody or because there was nobody else around.

Others have people who speak to me, but I understand them as if there were invisible captions in the dreams. I watch TV for hours sometimes when I am at my parents' because they have dialup and I can't always be online.

One dream I remember didn't involve any realistic objects, just lines that looked like the Windows Mystify screensaver set to black and white. All other dreams I remember were in color.

Now I can remember just one dream where I had a conversation with someone. There was a solider who had tightly wrapped someone else entirely within a big piece of white cloth like a mummy. I went to him and he gave me a remote control and said through the invisible captioning of the dream that his favorite button was number two so I pressed that. A bunch of knives slid out of the top of the remote and started chopping. I somehow told the solider that he was arrogant to go around chopping up immobilized people with that. I don't remember how I said that, by signing or telepathy.

Another dream I remember had just me signing to someone. It started with me riding a little bus back from high school and seeing an area that normally was swamps and woods as a wooded mountain instead. Then I zoomed in on the mountain and got a closeup of little people with flower petals around their faces who were like this :| and didn't say anything. Later at night, some gray translucent people were outside so I ran after them into the woods and found a bunch of them, so I ran back home and their king came after me. He had a floating head with a little crown and stubble. His body was just a rag of cloth attached to the bottom of his head. I didn't want him to do anything to me, so I started to tell him about the cool stuff we had like TVs, VCRs and computers to impress him.

My mom sometimes saw me signing in my sleep and I sometimes catch myself signing when I wake up.

I dream only visually. I have never had anyone talk or sign to me in a dream.

In my dreams, everyone usually talks.

I did have a couple dreams where people signed, but that was rare.

I saw my wife signing while in deep sleeping few times before. I think she said once she saw me doing it, too. So I assume some others done that as well.

Speaking of dreaming I wasn't sure if I recall dreaming sign language ever, but it's an interesting question indeed.

I am HOH and usually people "talk" but not sign or verbally, I just know what they mean. Sometimes they sign, which is weird because my sign skills are very poor. :(

in my dreams, mostly actions than mixed and its interesting. very rare, that i do sign while i was sleeping n dreaming since few people told me so far and i dont remember doing that.. *shrugs*

I see sign language when I am sleeping sometimes. I cannot speak for others, but when I do see sign in my dreams its like its like I see it in the real world when I am signing with someone else.

Most of my dreams are not in sign language though because I see pictures. I see lots of pictures all the time.

Its pretty funny for me i never really learned to sign (unfortunately now I cant find anywhere or time or afford to learn it) and in my dreams i can sign and understand it LOL! :giggle: its weird!! But i like it until I wake up :lol:

Of course, I do sign when I go before sleeping.
I set up on my video watch me when entering sleeping all night for test myself..yep, I sure did sign during sleep. but, When I had bad dream. My sign language acting like a real angry during sign language were alot of sloppy

I don't think I'm technically supposed to post on this thread (
Deaf and HOH?QUOTE]) because I'm hearing, but I couldn't resist.... :Oops:
In most of my dreams I communicate through some strange form of telepathy 'cause the people don't even usually have mouths (I just know what they mean). I've been learning ASL for some years now, and I was so excited when I had my first dream in sign language. The odd thing was that it was using heavy-arm and tactile sign which I have never actually used before.... I have also caught myself signing as I woke up before. Dreamland is an interesting place. :hmm: Thank for posting this thread! :)

I don't think I'm technically supposed to post on this thread (
Deaf and HOH?QUOTE]) because I'm hearing, but I couldn't resist.... :Oops:
In most of my dreams I communicate through some strange form of telepathy 'cause the people don't even usually have mouths (I just know what they mean). I've been learning ASL for some years now, and I was so excited when I had my first dream in sign language. The odd thing was that it was using heavy-arm and tactile sign which I have never actually used before.... I have also caught myself signing as I woke up before. Dreamland is an interesting place. :hmm: Thank for posting this thread! :)
I know the feeling.

I can't really remember talking in my dreams. I rarely remember what happens in my dreams. :(

It's usually "telepathic" if you know what I mean. Not sign nor voice. It's like voice in my head. Hmm, maybe subtitle because I sort of can see "words."

It's rare that there's sign language being used even though it's my primary form of communication. I guess English has more influence on me rather than sign language since I generally prefer captioning, reading, stuff like that over watching person signs.

Is it just me or does it happened to you guys as well that you can never control what you are going to do in your dream? It's like I am in the movie and I can't do anything but follow what's happening in the story. Dunno, maybe I was, but it doesn't feel that way.

Recently, I had a weird dream where BSL was being used. And of course I didn't understand character any in my dream. I even told him that I don't understand BSL, lol. I think it happened after I watched youtube a member on AllDeaf brought that had BSL being used.

I even had Japanese language being used in my dream. Lucky I understood a few words so I sort of knew what was going on. Also I even think I had Latin as well. It's so weird that past one month that I had foreign languages being used in my dream.

Most of the time, my dream involves heavy action, such as being part of war or fighting against someone/monster. In a way, it's always fun, it's like I am being part of sci-fi or fantasy movie. Yeah, it's always so vivid. I think struggle is always a theme of my dream. *shrugs*

Of course, I do sign when I go before sleeping.
I set up on my video watch me when entering sleeping all night for test myself..yep, I sure did sign during sleep. but, When I had bad dream. My sign language acting like a real angry during sign language were alot of sloppy

You sign while asleep??? I don't mean in your dreams but actually with your hands in bed????

:lol: I talk in my sleep.

I do the same and I can feel my voice moving. That typically only happens when I have a nightmare though. I was raised oral when I first became deaf and I was hard of hearing for many years before I became deaf the second time, so maybe its different for me?

Back