is it rude...?

lpmegs

Reaction score
i'm just learning asl, as of yesterday, so i close my eyes when i fingerspell or i speak when i sign (the few phrases i know) is that considered rude?

I don't know if that is rude or not? I don't seem to remember seeing anyone who was trying to learn to sign ASL with closed eyes. This is the first that you have pop the question about it. Usually it is common to sign with opened eyes, even when you are learning how to sign ASL. Beside, it is visual so you need to see what the person is responding you back. You can not hear them if they are using voice off. :lol:

Were you in a social event, that you had to do that? Also you are not to suppose to use voice for speaking but you can move your mouth to communicate with signing. That is proper way to do that. :wave:

i'm just learning asl, as of yesterday, so i close my eyes when i fingerspell or i speak when i sign (the few phrases i know) is that considered rude?

Are you female?

I remembered I conservated with females who sign while closed eyes, some of them did not want to keep eye contact but others can if they like.

It is bad habit.

Are you female?

I remembered I conservated with females who sign while closed eyes, some of them did not want to keep eye contact but others can if they like.

It is bad habit.

Maybe they didn't want to look at you.
longneck-729291.jpeg

I wouldn't think it to be rude, but if it was constant... Try opening your eyes more or it'll turn into a nasty habit. :wave:

I would not like to talk to someone that has their eyes close the whole time.
I know a guy that talk with his eyes close and he moved his head all over the place! He is a hearing person , and I feel like he is hiding something when he has his eyes close while talking. Yes, I think it is rude to keep your eyes close when signing or talking.

I catch myself looking upward sometimes when I fingerspell. I think I am trying to get the letter order correct ahead of my fingerspelling.

Tell your receptive audience just to knock on your forehead when they want to sign to you. ;)

Don't worry about it. You are simply closing your eyes because you are concentrating. You'll break that habit soon enough.

Try to practice fingerspelling in front of a mirror - so you will be "forced" to keep your eyes open by watching yourself spell. I know it might sound weird to practice that way, but trust me - it will help.

Also, try to relax. It's not the end of the world if you misspell something.

Lastly, don't worry about making mistakes. Actually, you'll find you'll learn more whenever you make a mistake and someone corrects you. You will tend to remember how to do it correctly thereafter.

Keep in mind that for sign languages (being visual) that closing your eyes while signing (espeically in a conversation) is the equivalent of plugging your ears while talking/being spoken to ... so in that respect - yeah, it is rude and something you need to make a conscious effort to not do. If you have your eyes closed it means that you're cutting yourself off from communicating with the deaf person (which may be construed as ignoring them).

A good example that might help you understand why it's a habit that needs to be broken is: it's common for Hoh/Deaf children who don't want to "listen" (obey) their parents/caregivers/teachers etc to close their eyes because it simultaneously prevents the child from "hearing" (aurally or visually) what is being said AND prevents the parent/caregiver/teacher etc from being able to TELL them anything!
As such - closing your eyes may seem to some like you are unintentionally screaming "I'm not listening, I'm not listening"

Speaking while you sign - is an indication that you're not actually learning/using ASL since the word/sign order in ASL is completely different than English grammar (which makes doing both together effectively impossible). People who speak and sign and the same time are using a mode called CASE or PSE ... it stripes ASL of it's grammar and tries to impose English word order into ASL - it's very common for students to do this when they are learning because they don't yet understand ASL grammar (and that ASL is in most ways as different from English as French, Spanish or German is.

What I'd suggest trying instead of closing your eyes to concentrate that instead you take a moment to THINK in English word/phrase for what you are wanting to express (spoken or signed) - and then sign it linking the PHRASE you think to the PHRASE you sign (trying NOT to think "this sign = this word" while you're doing it)

If you've taken another language - maybe French, Spanish ? before ... it's the same thing that you try to do when using those languages (ASL is grammatically similar in maybe ways to French if that info helps)

If you're looking for some good books that explain ASL grammar here are a few I'd recommend:

A Basic Course in American Sign Language (Second Edition) which is a "must have" if you're learning on your own - and is available from:
DawnSignPress (you can place the order online - or by calling them directly)
Direct link to the book on the DawnSignPress website

It's also available from Amazon (make sure to get the 2nd edition and the spiral bound version as it is MUCH easier to work out of and costs less!!)

The other book, also available from Amazon that is fairly good for learning ASL sentence structure/grammar is called http://www.amazon.com/American-Sign-Language-Easy-Way/dp/0764134280/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8. Some of the signs used in the book are not the "best" - however if you use it as a grammar guide and look to [ame="[URL]http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi[/URL]"]aslpro.com[/ame] etc for the actual signs it can be very helpful ... as an intro text.

I hope that helps - if you have any specific questions let us know, and feel free to PM me if you want !!

thank you so much! everyone has been very helpful. i will definitely have to get those books. i notice i'm not closing my eyes as much but i will make sure to try in front of the mirror. the last thing i want to do is create a bad habit. :) i mostly speak when i do it in front of my boyfriend. he is hearing and isn't learning sign language. so i practice some of the words i know, but speak to him while i'm doing it.

Back