Is it okay to date ASL Interpreter lady?

One of our interpreters gave a short car ride to an adult Deaf college student and was immediately fired. There was no romance or "hanky-panky" involved but the rule is, no car rides for clients. Terps know the rules, and must take responsibility for their actions.

While it's clearly unethical for students and teachers/interpreters to be dating each other especially in high school, I have to say it's kind of silly that the interpreter was fired for giving an college student who is of legal age a ride.

(shrugs)

I know it's the rule, but I think it's a bad rule since they are both adults. I wonder who snitched on them.

One of our interpreters gave a short car ride to an adult Deaf college student and was immediately fired. There was no romance or "hanky-panky" involved but the rule is, no car rides for clients. Terps know the rules, and must take responsibility for their actions.

Yes, my favorite terp warned me that she can not drive me to places during the working hours except for lunch hours. As a counselor, I am also a client of hers at my work in PA.

Also this country is not a communist country. People should do whatever they want in positive ways. It is wrong for people to say "omg, that student is dating teacher" or any kind of judgmental. Just let them go, it is their life, don't bother! My classmate (in Russia) was dating a teacher, which is about 6 years older than him. Once he graduated, they both got married, having 2 beautiful kids. I'm happy for them. :dance2:

- Other sad event in Deaf School, one girl was not dating the dorm supervisor during her time in the high school. Once she graduated from high school, and few months later, she happen to meet that dorm supervisor. They were dating each other for few months after they met. When they both decided to go to deaf club, and the deaf school staff was there and saw them dating, they reported to the Dean of Student. Next day that dorm supervisor got fired. What the hell?

Second paragraph....:eek3: at news that dorm supervisor got fired. Girl graduated from HS and she has rights to date whoever she wants. I disagree with firing. :eek3:

What, are you serious?
I'm not going to buy you a beer!
Teacher don't give soft grades on that student who she like. She treat him equal as other students. Like I said they act professionally. Student (18) know what he and teacher is supposed to do.
You know favoritism is in every schools, and that doesn't mean they both like each other. :slap:

You can not have an unbois opinion or actions if you have a relationship with someone. Can try as hell, but it will be totally be for soft or hard. If some how, can stay in between, then also have the appearance to everyone around you.

If you saw 2 ppl, and know they are not married and living together, then would you believe they have a relationship or no? If you see an old person and a young person holding hands walking down the street, are they in a relationship?

If your better half takes some money from you, how would you react? Now, if someone you don't know try to steal your money, what would you do? Will you be more willing to give money to someone you have a relationship with or with a stranger you find on the street?

While it's clearly unethical for students and teachers/interpreters to be dating each other especially in high school, I have to say it's kind of silly that the interpreter was fired for giving an college student who is of legal age a ride.

(shrugs)

I know it's the rule, but I think it's a bad rule since they are both adults. I wonder who snitched on them.
I don't know who "snitched"; I found out about it much later.

I think part of that rule is liability coverage.

We also have a rule in our employee handbook that prohibits giving clients any brochures or fliers about anything. We can't invite them to anything.

We can't request phone numbers or email addresses from consumers/clients.

mostly deaf schools and gally college know rules and policy dont dating with interpreter! if students under 18 dont dating with interpreter they will fired one days that no jokes! if interpreter married somewhere they respect their private lives if students have affair with interpreter they will lose license!

I know it's the rule, but I think it's a bad rule since they are both adults.

It is a liability issue plain and simple. If there had been an accident the school would have been 100% at fault. There is a whole separate set of rules having to do with cars and transportation and clients that isn't related to whether they're adults or not. It's how the school sets up those rules.

What about the interpreter's long time boyfriend joined the university, and now you are going to tell them to break up, because they both are violating the policy? :cool:

What about the interpreter's long time boyfriend joined the university, and now you are going to tell them to break up, because they both are violating the policy? :cool:
No, they don't have to break up. They have to be forthright and let the disabilities counselor or whoever sets up the interpreting service know that they have a relationship before the assignment is made. That way, another interpreter can be assigned to the student, if necessary.

No, they don't have to break up. They have to be forthright and let the disabilities counselor or whoever sets up the interpreting service know that they have a relationship before the assignment is made. That way, another interpreter can be assigned to the student, if necessary.

Hmm... never thought of that will work that way. :)

Are you serious?

I didn't know that. If I see em next time, I will ask them about that. I don't know if it's different because they are freeloader instead of a college staff.

Are you serious?

I didn't know that. If I see em next time, I will ask them about that. I don't know if it's different because they are freeloader instead of a college staff.
Freeloader?

Huh? Maybe I used a wrong term.

Freeloader as in one that does not belong to any agency, school, or etc. They are types of intepreter that decide the fee and location they want to interpret. They don't get benefits that school would have offered to any staffs or government would have offered to anyone who work in an agency.

I thought it's called freeloader but maybe I am wrong.

My deaf guy friend of mine attend college to take mainstream classes. There are two interpreters young ladies look 20 to 30 something. He mentioned me that he like a lady cuz she is cute, sweet and ambitous. He hide his feeling about her. He can't ask her because She is the ASL interpreter. Between student and interpreter policy that they are not allowed to date. I dont know interpreter policies. He afraid if they wont see each other after the last day of class. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you in advance

I personally don't see anything wrong to date an interpreter but ... if she/he work for school then she/he has to follow school policy rules.

We don´t have interpreters work for school full term here in Germany but spa resorts. I know the rules at Spa Resorts to not involve romantic relationship with interpreters until the patients end their treatment in Spa Resorts then...

It does the same thing with school teachers and students as well. Some teachers and Students keep their relationship themselves until the students end their school then...

Some teachers and interpreters, I know are happily married and have children with students and clients.

Are you serious? :eek3:

Do you mean the interpreters who work for school? If yes what about Freelancer?

My interpreters & I shared our car rides on the way to conference, etc. It´s silly to drive separate when we live 10 minutes away and go to same conferences, school, etc. We are good friends but we know how to respectfully separate private and duty.

My interpreters & I shared our car rides on the way to conference, etc. It´s silly to drive separate when we live 10 minutes away and go to same conferences, school, etc. We are good friends but we know how to respectfully separate private and duty.

That's what I thought. I rode with interpreters before too.

And what is spa resorts? A place where people go to relax? I find it odd for someone to have an interpreter in places like that.

As a heart attack.

The interpreters at the college work for a private agency that has a contract with the college. The agency does the hiring, assigning, and firing. There are no freelance or staff interpreters at the college.

Oh, how embarrassing.

:Oops:

Sorry.
That's OK. As long as you don't mean that freelance terps are freeloading on the job. :P

Anyway, the term "freelance interpreter" is on the way out. The preferred terms are "private practice interpreter" and "independent contractor". Some people feel that the term "freelance" sounds like someone is working outside of the accepted professional boundaries. I'm not saying that they do that. I'm just saying some people have that feeling.

It's kind of like no one is a "teacher" anymore; they're all "educators". :D

Back