Is it okay to date ASL Interpreter lady?

spainmale

Reaction score
My deaf guy friend of mine attend college to take mainstream classes. There are two interpreters young ladies look 20 to 30 something. He mentioned me that he like a lady cuz she is cute, sweet and ambitous. He hide his feeling about her. He can't ask her because She is the ASL interpreter. Between student and interpreter policy that they are not allowed to date. I dont know interpreter policies. He afraid if they wont see each other after the last day of class. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you in advance

My deaf guy friend of mine attend college to take mainstream classes. There are two interpreters young ladies look 20 to 30 something. He mentioned me that he like a lady cuz she is cute, sweet and ambitous. He hide his feeling about her. He can't ask her because She is the ASL interpreter. Between student and interpreter policy that they are not allowed to date. I dont know interpreter policies. He afraid if they wont see each other after the last day of class. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you in advance

Well, I have not taken the ASL Cert Course yet, but I do know some of the code of ethics. If they do state dating, the lady can't interpret for him. Also, if they break up, it would be weird if she ends up getting a job interpreting for him as well. He can try it. I know some deaf that end up marring an interpreter and they have a healthy marriage, but their spouse never gets a job to interpret for them due to code of ethics.

I experienced with this problem too! When I used to have a interperter for my mainstream high school. She was 24, blonde chick with D cup. I almost ask her out but I didn't because it is to embarrassing. All of my hearing high school friends laughed at me and said you should ask her out!

I experienced with this problem too! When I used to have a interperter for my mainstream high school. She was 24, blonde chick with D cup. I almost ask her out but I didn't because it is to embarrassing. All of my hearing high school friends laughed at me and said you should ask her out!

You should have told her how you feel about her, if she feels that you went too far, and explain her that you won't do anything stupid. If she do like you too, maybe you and her can work something out. Never hurt to ask.

Yea it will never hurt to ask but it was like long time ago. But I messed up that time. I was just a teenager who doesn't know how to ask a girl out and was really shy.

I been seen ASL treps been married to deaf guys or ladies.

I met few ASL treps who are able to date during you are in school or out of campus. They are business worker but in the personal (out of work) then you can date her/him.

They are wonderful couples, I been met! They are common as us.

I don't see anything wrong to date an interpreter. It can't hurt to ask him or her out on a date or hang out. Just because a person have a job don't means that person can't date due to the job he or she does. Go for it and ask her out. It can't hurt to ask.

You should have told her how you feel about her, if she feels that you went too far, and explain her that you won't do anything stupid. If she do like you too, maybe you and her can work something out. Never hurt to ask.
I don't think school staff members are allowed to date their high school students.

But I thought it might get the interpreter job in jeopardy? I mean its like a high school dating a teacher. But I honestly agree with you about dating a ASL interpreter is cool.

I don't think school staff members are allowed to date their high school students.

I believe it falls into those lines. They are interpreters, but working for the school. They still have the follow the same lines as the teachers. They can't form any relationships with the students. Plus, that can also fall into the lines of legal age dating an illegal age. There are not that many high school students that are over 18. There is some, but it like 1 out of 10 seniors are 18+. I might be off with that number, but there not that many.

I have known one 18 years old student who is senior dating with a teacher (24), and they both never got busted, except me. Now, I am just happy for them, they don't let people control their love, and I'm just impressed that they acted it professionally such as not letting anyone to find out/know.

IF you are single, and fell in love with that student, and he do same thing to you but you can't date him because of rules (basically you let people control you), which is really LAME.

WORK SOMETHING OUT FOR THE BEST.

I have known one 18 years old student who is senior dating with a teacher (24), and they both never got busted, except me. Now, I am just happy for them, they don't let people control their love, and I'm just impressed that they acted it professionally such as not letting anyone to find out/know.

IF you are single, and fell in love with that student, and he do same thing to you but you can't date him because of rules (basically you let people control you), which is really LAME.

Well, there is a reason for those rules...

There is a reason behind it. It is called favoritism. it also can work on the other end of it, be even more strick on them.

It works in the army too. 2 ppl that are dating are not suppose to be in the same chain of command. Others can fell that person being strick on them, or their partner thinks that they being to hard on them due to their relationship.

It is called favoritism.

What, are you serious?
I'm not going to buy you a beer!
Teacher don't give soft grades on that student who she like. She treat him equal as other students. Like I said they act professionally. Student (18) know what he and teacher is supposed to do.
You know favoritism is in every schools, and that doesn't mean they both like each other. :slap:

That's not acting "professionally"; that's being sneaky. That is totally unethical (and possibly illegal) behavior by the teacher. :mad:

A professional, mature teacher won't "fall in love" with a student. People can control themselves, and at least wait until the student graduates high school before even considering a romantic relationship.

Also this country is not a communist country. People should do whatever they want in positive ways. It is wrong for people to say "omg, that student is dating teacher" or any kind of judgmental. Just let them go, it is their life, don't bother! My classmate (in Russia) was dating a teacher, which is about 6 years older than him. Once he graduated, they both got married, having 2 beautiful kids. I'm happy for them. :dance2:

- Other sad event in Deaf School, one girl was not dating the dorm supervisor during her time in the high school. Once she graduated from high school, and few months later, she happen to meet that dorm supervisor. They were dating each other for few months after they met. When they both decided to go to deaf club, and the deaf school staff was there and saw them dating, they reported to the Dean of Student. Next day that dorm supervisor got fired. What the hell?

It's too risky to be dating an interpreter, It can or may cost an interpreter her job. If it doesn't work out in their relationship, a student may use the grounds of sexual harassment against the interpreter or it could be the other way around, that's why I do not think it's much of a great idea.

One of our interpreters gave a short car ride to an adult Deaf college student and was immediately fired. There was no romance or "hanky-panky" involved but the rule is, no car rides for clients. Terps know the rules, and must take responsibility for their actions.

authentic --

Pleasure and business do not mix at same place ( work ). Pleasure always stay out of business when it comes to work. You wanna a " pleasure " - then meet her at her work elsewhere where he don't work together or attend the same place where she is at. Be more professional this way. :)

Back