Is it Offensive to Talk while among a Deaf crowd?

it has nothing to do if i know you or not know you. I don't know if you are a student at gallaudet or not.

I am speaking of anyone who wants to attend to Gallaudet for many reasons, not for visitor, just plan to work or learn or anything that comes to gallaudet to stay there longer then that would make sense if they do sign over there. BUT we don't ask them to sign right there because we know who we are. Any time we see any students or staffs coming into gallaudet. We WILL get under the impressed that those peeps who aren't willing to sign and rather speaking only at gallaudet then they have issues being on a gallaudet campus. that's all.

What are you saying is simply trivializing the whole matter. You will keep twisting scenarios until we will say "yeah, that's alright."

I don't get why people are so adamant against the norms of the Deaf culture, when the problems they encounter within the Deaf culture is human nature that affect EVERYONE? The sooner you accept every single human being on the planet are self-centric pricks in their own ways, the sooner you will accept that Deaf is what Deaf is.

I used to not want to be associated with the Deaf, until I saw the same behaviours occuring in the hearing world among other groups. That was when I learned people do what people do. If you are going to be a Deaf campus, or you are going to a Deaf social-- or any where that Deaf people meet, people are going to assume you can sign until they find out otherwise.

Same thing with any gatherings. They are going to make assumptions and judgements upon greeting before they find out why new people don't fit into their cultural norms. I have discovered this and drew parallel with every group I have been accepted into. This is the reason why I decided to go back to the Deaf community, because its so-called issues are universal.

Very well said.

I stopped worrying so much about it. If I do something that's offensive to a certain culture, I try to find out what are the social customs and adapt out of respect for that culture. People who don't will have trouble adapting to different cultures and customs.

Uh, you really don't know me, do you?

Then why don't you entertain us and tell us who you are? No need to be rude to Frisky Feline because she doesn't know you. :roll:

Even though people say that they would be "understanding" if people were new to the culture, it seems to me that people are more likely to think that those talking people were being rude rather than oblivious.....
If I see a foreigner doing something that was kinda rude, I'd think "Sigh... those foreigners." Not automatically thinking they were being mean, rude, etc. However, it seems like if someone talks on Gally campus, they tend to be labeled as being purposefully mean. Why is that? Or am I wrong?

Of course, if anyone sees a blue eyed Cuban yelling in Spanish (maybe "Hay una fiesta en mis pantalones!") at Gally, that's one blatantly rude person... :D

it has nothing to do if i know you or not know you. I don't know if you are a student at gallaudet or not.

I am speaking of anyone who wants to attend to Gallaudet for many reasons, not for visitor, just plan to work or learn or anything that comes to gallaudet to stay there longer then that would make sense if they do sign over there. BUT we don't ask them to sign right there because we know who we are. Any time we see any students or staffs coming into gallaudet. We WILL get under the impressed that those peeps who aren't willing to sign and rather speaking only at gallaudet then they have issues being on a gallaudet campus. that's all.

Sure. It'd make sense to sign in the scenario you're talking about. Although a different issue on what I'm trying to present here. We're talking about two unknown persons talking to each other in a private conversation out in an open public setting. That's it. People may form an impression thinking they're being purposely rude thinking they do know sign language but never thinking the possibility that perhaps they do not even know an ounce of sign language in the first place and that talking is their only and preferred mode of communication. What I'm presenting is a matter of perspective here. Is it fair to make the assumption that every single person that comes to the campus of Gallaudet know sign language? Including first time visitors and such?

If people say, "Yes, I expect that." Then they're living in an alternate world for believing that. We don't know the situation, the scenario and the background to make that kind of judgement based on an unknown situation seeing two unknown people with HA or CI talking to each other.

Even though people say that they would be "understanding" if people were new to the culture, it seems to me that people are more likely to think that those talking people were being rude rather than oblivious.....

Honestly, I never had a Deaf person that had a problem with me speaking in English or another language. There's a few weird ones that have an issue with my employment, and my signing due to a slight nerve damage in the left hand although I suspect those ones have low self-esteem, but other than that they tend to be reserved until they truly know that I am deaf like they are. I suspect Gallaudet is the same toward newcomers.

I am careful not to be strictly oral around the people that I know that are deaf. At worst, it would be half-and-halfing it which makes my ASL transform into PSE while I am talking at the same time. They do shun people for only speaking in English if and only if they know that person is a signer. Otherwise, they are pretty open-minded for the most part.

If I see a foreigner doing something that was kinda rude, I'd think "Sigh... those foreigners." Not automatically thinking they were being mean, rude, etc. However, it seems like if someone talks on Gally campus, they tend to be labeled as being purposefully mean. Why is that? Or am I wrong?

Of course, if anyone sees a blue eyed Cuban yelling in Spanish (maybe "Hay una fiesta en mis pantalones!") at Gally, that's one blatantly rude person... :D

Obliviousness could fit the bill in the scenario I'm talking about. But that's one possibility.

I've learned a long time ago to be open about the preferred mode of communication with anybody and not to judge for their preferences because I don't know all the details about that person. And even if I did I wouldn't drop the person like a hot potato. LIfe is too short for that.

I've learned a long time ago to be open about the preferred mode of communication with anybody and not to judge for their preferences because I don't know all the details about that person. And even if I did I wouldn't drop the person like a hot potato. LIfe is too short for that.

Same here, ;) There have been many times where I've seen that hard of hearing, deaf, cochlear implant people had been rejected by the Culturally Deaf people just because they use different mode of communication including signs. I don't think that's fair to rejected any deaf based on their background, their signing skills, what school they went to, or how many deaf people that they have in their family or their outstanding within the deaf community.

Again with the twisting details. This topic is about what is rude or not. Nothing about rejecting people. That's a whole different topic. What one considers rude of another doesn't mean rejection. If people can't distinguish those two in a social setting, then that sounds like a personal problem to me.

Rather it's about the perspective of looking in (i.e. looking at the two unknown coples talking) and not know the situation and who they are and assume the worse rather than rudeness per se. Each person looks at a situation differently and perceive things differently, and it's quite fascinating to see the wide-ranging responses.

I think, from my own personal experience, most Deaf people would say it is rude if those two people are already well known among the Deaf community and are known to be fluent signers.

Really, most of my friends and I never really make a big issue about two strangers who are deaf/hoh not signing at a Deaf social because we all are too busy having fun with each other's company to notice nor care. If some people have taken notice and make a big fuss about it, I always miss it. However, that scenario is very very rare at Deaf socials because most people who go to learn ASL if they arent fluent yet anyway.

It seems like too much sweating over the small stuff anyway. If those care what others people think and dont like being considered rude, then dont be rude. If those dont care, then no problems, heh? :lol:

I asked my hearing friend the very same question but stated it was at Gallaudet.

I will confirm, as a hearing person, I would not consider entering the Gally campus and not signing, whether the person I was talking to knew sign or not. It isn’t about the other person, or about you. It is about showing respect. I wouldn’t walk into Deaf Culture and not sign what I say. When I go to a Deaf School, I don’t have verbal conversations without signing what I say, no matter who I am talking to. Why? Because I have just walked into a place where the majority have a different culture, and I am obligated to respect that. When you walk onto the Gally campus, you choose to walk into a haven of Deaf Culture. Don’t want to make the adjustments to be respectful of that culture, then don’t go there. It isn’t about preferred method of communication any longer. It is about choosing to enter a culture that is different from your own. It is about respect.

Copied and pasted with my hearing friend's permission.

Number one.. why are you assuming they know how to sign? Hearing aid and CI?
You never said they can sign. Regardless it is thier choice. They are communicating with each other at the moment and whichever way they choose or is easier for them. the deafies likely involved in thier own converstaions.
To each thier own. One would assume it is easier for them. Like you said ...they just happened to come across the meeting. Not like they went there to the meeting intentionally and then used verbal when able to sign.
Maybe they werediscussing something personal.
We can't expect a perfect world. Or be offended at every little thing.
that's like telling different races they can't talk to each other. Like California prisons. We are not hostages of prison. Or gangs.

Why are you still projecting your past issues from Gallaudet onto this website?

I know you have had problems like this at Gallaudet when you used a cellphone at Gallaudet and you talked on campus as well.

It makes me wonder why you still project those societal insecurity issues onto this website. Really, you need to analyse those issues yourself.

I say this as a friend to you, Mike. Tsk.

I was thinking...now, you mentioned this. Is this a personal issue or old bitter feelings by the OP?

I was thinking...now, you mentioned this. Is this a personal issue or old bitter feelings by the OP?

It is both a personal issue and bitter feelings by the OP.

It's on this site and the other site that shall forever remain unnamed.

I honestly do not know why because the OP leads such a wonderful life and sets a great example about himself.

Every deaf person likely uses communication methods that best suit themselves. If they have the capability to speak on a cell phone, have at it. I can't hear enough to use a cell phone, so I only use mine for texting and email. If the deaf person next to me can use their phone for different purposes that work for them, or are engaged in a conversation with another deaf person in ways that aren't an option for me, still who am I to judge how they communicate? What works for one doesn't necessarily have to be true for everyone else.

It is both a personal issue and bitter feelings by the OP.

It's on this site and the other site that shall forever remain unnamed.

I honestly do not know why because the OP leads such a wonderful life and sets a great example about himself.

Ok thanks for clarifying. :ty:

But yet, those people have access to everyone else's conversations? If the conversation is so private, go somewhere private.

yes but the example i think kokonut is trying to show is that they are in a public place.... therefore they have every right to be there talking to eachother. because its public........

yes but the example i think kokonut is trying to show is that they are in a public place.... therefore they have every right to be there talking to eachother. because its public........

Please read my first few posts in this thread before Kokonut changed the scenario to Gallaudet Univeristy. Thanks.

Back